293 miles and already a code

Emurph8

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Accord V6 touring, Ram 1500
So I’ve had my 2019 si almost a week, has 293 miles on it and I get this code! EMISSIONS SYSTEM PROBLEM What is it? I went to autozone and their machine couldn’t read it or clear it, guess it’s back to the dealer? I haven’t done anything to the car yet. I was thinking about a tune and maybe a cold air intake but maybe not?
Honda Civic 10th gen 293 miles and already a code upload_2018-12-7_18-56-58
Sponsored

OP
OP

Emurph8

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks, I read that thread. A few years old but could be the same thing. If it’s a knock sensor is it ok to drive? I still had half a tank of the gas that came with the car. I topped it off with 93. Somebody said it could be a lose gas cap but it doesn’t have a gas cap. I’m hoping it clears itself. I ordered a code tester machine from amazon for $60. Figure it would be cool to have anyway. I hate feeling like my brand new Honda is unreliable.

Leveslady

First Name
Christina
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Touring 2018, Honda Type R 2021
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
So I’ve had my 2019 si almost a week, has 293 miles on it and I get this code! EMISSIONS SYSTEM PROBLEM What is it? I went to autozone and their machine couldn’t read it or clear it, guess it’s back to the dealer? I haven’t done anything to the car yet. I was thinking about a tune and maybe a cold air intake but maybe not?
upload_2018-12-7_18-56-58.jpeg

Yikes! Update us so if it happens to someone again they may know.

REBELXSi

Señor Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Si coupe RIP, '20 CRV EX-L Hybrid
Country flag
I hate feeling like my brand new Honda is unreliable.
Take a deep breath, schedule an appointment with the service department and I'm sure they'll get it cleared up. It won't cost you a thing and you'll see your car isn't unreliable.

PWP19SI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 Civic LX 16 HRV EX
Country flag
I wouldn’t sweat it, I would also bring it to the dealer ASAP, like today first thing. Don’t worry, these things happen.

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI Coupe. . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon. . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Pulsar NX . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon (2nd Donor Wagon for parts)
Country flag
Interesting that their "Professional" OBD2 Reader could not read or clear it.

I wonder if the one you are buying on Amazon can ??

Note: If you play with these, be careful, you can really screw things up with some of the more powerful readers/writers.

If you are getting the Device on Amazon, this is what I would do, but not necessarily what I am suggesting YOU do, !!

You should get the OBD2 Reader quickly, very quickly if you have Amazon Prime.,

Wait till you get your Reader, and see if it detects the EMISSIONS SYSTEM PROBLEM.

If not, then that's disappointing.

If it does -- GREAT -- but if it gives you the option to clear it - DO NOT attempt to clear it yourself.
Go to the dealer and let them Clear it, and correct whatever is wrong so that it should not re-appear. Its WARRANTY, and the last thing you want to do is just clear the error yourself, and potentially cause a bigger issue.

FYI: I have a reasonably good, consumer ODB2 Reader.
I periodically check for error and error history, so so I know what is going on.
What is really going on may be something different to what the Dealer BS's you with, so it's good to know ahead of time what is what.

KNOWLEDGE IS POWER .. Ignorance leave you very vulnerable !!

PaulME

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic si coupe, 2017 CRV, 2002 Mercedes E320 wagon, 2001 E320 Wagon, 2002 E320 sedan, 1986 944T, 1972 land Rover
Country flag
As others have said it’s und r warranty bring it to the dealer - any dealer! And have them resolve it. Last place I would bring a brand new car to is auto zone looking to clear a code.
And +1 scopes yes reccomendation that if you see a code don’t clear it yourself on a brand new car, but learning is good.
Paul

OP
OP

Emurph8

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Got a guy with a better reader. Some kind of evap code. Probably some bad gas? Cleared it out and so far hasn’t come back. Running good. If it comes back I’ll take it to the dealer.
Thanks for all the info. Probably should have taken it to the dealer right away. Hopefully it doesn’t come back.
Thanks again

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI Coupe. . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon. . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Pulsar NX . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon (2nd Donor Wagon for parts)
Country flag
Got a guy with a better reader. Some kind of evap code. Probably some bad gas? Cleared it out and so far hasn’t come back. Running good. If it comes back I’ll take it to the dealer.
Thanks for all the info. Probably should have taken it to the dealer right away. Hopefully it doesn’t come back.
Thanks again
Treat it to a tank of the GOOD Stuff !!!

BoxsterSteve

still plays with cars...
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Porsche Boxster S, 2018 Civic Touring sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Emissions code... could be something as simple as your capless filler losing tank pressure.
Under warranty so don’t sweat it.

OP
OP

Emurph8

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks. Just took it for a spirited ride and still no codes. Knock wood! When it gets down to half again I’ll top it off with 93 again.
Thanks all!!

PhilF

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 CRV EX-L Platinum White Pearl/Ivory, 2020 CRV EX-L Crystal Black Pearl/Grey
Country flag
Thanks. Just took it for a spirited ride and still no codes. Knock wood! When it gets down to half again I’ll top it off with 93 again.
Thanks all!!
Just a FYI, if you're not aware, Honda strongly recommends using TopTier fuels in all their vehicles, especially those with direct injection. Check the TopTier website for fuels that meet that standard and an explanation of what it's all about. Has nothing to do with octane, it's the levels of detergents & other necessary additives. Locally, Shell, Sunoco, Mobil/Exxon, Valaro, & yes, Costco are on the list. As a friend with a BMW found out, it does make a difference.

87elco

First Name
Tj
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1987 el camino ls swap, 18 civic 6speed, 86 Porsche 911 (euro spec)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Is it the California model si?
Sponsored