NoKz

Speed Limit Tester
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Si Coupe (Sold 12/2021)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
What would you guys think about 27WON offering a silver (raw aluminum which is industry standard) or a black version? Would the black version help you feel more comfortable about not getting tagged by CHP?
I'd be interested in either. Send me one and I'll fly by the CHP to see what they think. :thumbsup:
Sponsored

LilToTo17

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
wheelwell.com
Vehicle(s)
98 Civic EX with SI Conversion-Sold, 2017 Civic Si Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I'd be interested in either. Send me one and I'll fly by the CHP to see what they think. :thumbsup:
They don't care bruh stop tripping lol. They only care about loud exhaust and how could they even see the intercooler unless they REALLY looked at it with the front license plate blocking it

NoKz

Speed Limit Tester
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Si Coupe (Sold 12/2021)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
They don't care bruh stop tripping lol. They only care about loud exhaust and how could they even see the intercooler unless they REALLY looked at it with the front license plate blocking it
I meant FLY by the CHP. LOL

Honda Civic 10th gen 27WON Performance FMIC upgrade design thread tenor

coopermidnight

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 FK8
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
What would you guys think about 27WON offering a silver (raw aluminum which is industry standard) or a black version? Would the black version help you feel more comfortable about not getting tagged by CHP?
If you guys make a black one, I'll probably end up using 27won exclusively for my aftermarket stuff (FMIC, CAI, turbo) once the car's paid off.

Hollywoo0220

Customer Service oriented (most of the time) :-)
First Name
RJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dihatsu Charade, BMW, Various Hondas, Focus ST, and VW GTI
Country flag
Looks identical to the Mishimoto IC. Fin Tab is on their Hot Side also.

OGKaiju

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'90 Skyline GTR, '96 240SX SE, '07 Legacy GT Spec.B, '06 Silverado Duramax
What core are you going to use? "Tube & Fin" or "Bar & Plate"?

Barett@27WON

Elite Sponsor
First Name
Barett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI Sedan, 2009 Mazdaspeed 3
Country flag
What core are you going to use? "Tube & Fin" or "Bar & Plate"?
This will be a bar and plate design. We will be testing a few different fin density setups to find the right balance with temperature and pressure drop across the core.
To test this we will be looking at pressure and temperature at the inlet and outlet of the intercooler using our AEM datalogger.
We will layout all the testing in a future blog.

jasonjm

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Type-R
Country flag
The problem with referencing the airspeed velocity of an unladen swallow has to do with pressure. We are functioning in a pressurized chamber vs the atmospheric pressure like said swallow. Now if you could provide me with data for the unladen swallow in a pressurized chamber we'd be back in business...

On a real note: we did try multiple fin designs and found that the airfoil style fin was the best balance for air velocity and distribution through the core. That being said, we are still refining the design of the core and therefore the fin design is subject to change. We've been testing the difference of 8 vs 9 charge air passages through the core so we can change the charge are passage height and fin structure. This greatly affects the pressure drop through the core and peak flowrate. With the intent of designing a FMIC kit that can support big turbo builds along with stock power levels effectively, its a bit of a balancing act. We will have more info out in blogs as we continue development.
I’d love to see the real world testing data for this.

I have some experience in fluid dynamics and simulations of both particles and gasses. This includes viscosity in domain models with multiple inputs where possible such as agitation, gravity, and most importantly temperature.

One thing I’ve learned is that with fluid dynamics almost all bets are off. There is always something found that throws everything off and surprises you in real practice (i.e real life).

While your fin shows temperature decreasing as a function of contact with the substrate, you need to consider some other aspects here. The Thermo capillary effects for one.

Air has viscosity. The general law to determine it takes temperature as the sole input, and the higher the temp the higher the viscosity. This is completely opposite and inverse of “fluids”.

You need to model this along with general flow.

In addition to this you have molecular diffusion. Diffusion explains the net flux of molecules from a region of higher concentration to one of lower concentration. Under pressure the diffusion process will eventually result in complete mixing. The kicker is diffusion will increase with temperature!

So with this domain model you might either be:

1) inhibiting diffusion of the pressurized gas under velocity while also changing its viscosity for the negative! Completely opposite of what you aimed for.

2) or inadvertently increasing the heat transfer coefficient at which your domain substratum heats up, rather than cools off! Even though the capacity has increased!

There are studies done that show the heat transfer coefficient does increase relative to the location of thermal wakes induced by things like your fin. In fact many of these same studies explicitly point out that not taking into account all the above can increase error rates of over 100%!

Then furthering the temperature influence of surface Marangoni migration flow due to the fin acting like an air foil directing the flow toward a thermal wall. As the gas flow is reaching migration state, the temperature could change the thermal contour completely.

On the race track where the heat source is increasingly and constant, you may find that you actually want thermal wakes and at certain locations actually want non uniform flow as to lower the heat transfer coefficient - all the while relying on diffusion...

Can’t wait to see the actual results!

Sly_Si

First Name
Willi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si sedan
Country flag
Lol so many Cali folks tripping. They don’t care about intercoolers
Anything doesn't loom stock, is a reason for them to pull us over.. i had a friend with evo 9 with carbon fiber hood who kept getting pulled over.. and CHP would ask him to open the hood.

That kind of hassle

Sly_Si

First Name
Willi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si sedan
Country flag
I will buy the black one in a heart beat, given no obvious sticker or decal on it.. hahaha

Barett@27WON

Elite Sponsor
First Name
Barett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I will buy the black one in a heart beat, given no obvious sticker or decal on it.. hahaha
We are thinking we will provide a stencil for you guys to apply your color of choice or none at all if wanted.

MeanGreenSi

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si, 2018 Honda Accord Sport
Country flag
We are thinking we will provide a stencil for you guys to apply your color of choice or none at all if wanted.
Are there any plans for your trademark orange to be incorporated? Maybe orange hoses or orange couplers for the inner cooler?

Barett@27WON

Elite Sponsor
First Name
Barett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Are there any plans for your trademark orange to be incorporated? Maybe orange hoses or orange couplers for the inner cooler?
We are planning to get the piping for the 27WON SI shop car powder coated orange. We'll be posting pictures to see what you guys think. If there is enough demand we may offer it as an option.
For silicone colors we are currently only planning on the dark grey we use for the CAI system.
Sponsored