27WON Front Mount Intercooler Kit for L15 (testing, R&D, and availability)

blackie X

First Name
tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si
Country flag
Would an upgraded FMIC be beneficial on an otherwise stock vehicle? I see you guys are comparing numbers on an FBO car w/ big turbo.
would most likely need someone to run tests on a stock civic SI for potential number gains, i would guess maybe 10whp 10wtq with a fully stock setup after dropping this in.....but im sure Vincent can get you real numbers.

Last edited:

blackie X

First Name
tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si
Country flag
i will add this with my 27won CAI as my only performance upgrades at this point......mostly because its bigger and its BLACK to make my front end look that much better. if i can get a little more hp & tq as well that would be sweet.

OP
OP
Vincent@27WON

Vincent@27WON

REDEFINE the Aftermarket
Elite Sponsor
First Name
Vincent
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.27won.com
Vehicle(s)
18 SI, 18 CTR, 22 Si, 23 Integra
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
would most likely need someone to run tests on a stock civic SI for potential number gains, i would guess maybe 10whp 10wtq with a fully stock setup after dropping this in.....but im sure Vincent can get you real numbers.
all our power figures are in the web listings.

ManitobaSI

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I ordered this. Super pumped, to me it looks like a work of art. I can't believe last night I dreamed the whole night about this intercooler, looks like the modding bug has really taken over. I have a stock turbo and no immediate plans to get a W1 turbo, but I cannot fool myself, eventually I will once I finish installing all my existing parts I have hoarded. The consistent feedback I am getting from the various companies is that the larger piping makes a more significant contribution to power when you have a larger turbo. Replacing the stock core with a larger more efficient core will benefit everyone including stock turbo. This piping on the 27Won is slightly larger in diameter than PRL's and the core size is very similar, just for comparison. The 27Won core end piece has the fin to help distribute the air which is pretty neat. I have a 27Won intake I am waiting to put in and the quality of that piece is quite high, this is a few of the reasons I went with this intercooler, compatibility with their CAI and consistency in the engine bay. However with that said I also have a PRL catted DP and FP waiting to go in soon as well...exciting times!

joshhjackson2112

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' SI
Country flag
I ordered this. Super pumped, to me it looks like a work of art. I can't believe last night I dreamed the whole night about this intercooler, looks like the modding bug has really taken over. I have a stock turbo and no immediate plans to get a W1 turbo, but I cannot fool myself, eventually I will once I finish installing all my existing parts I have hoarded. The consistent feedback I am getting from the various companies is that the larger piping makes a more significant contribution to power when you have a larger turbo. Replacing the stock core with a larger more efficient core will benefit everyone including stock turbo. This piping on the 27Won is slightly larger in diameter than PRL's and the core size is very similar, just for comparison. The 27Won core end piece has the fin to help distribute the air which is pretty neat. I have a 27Won intake I am waiting to put in and the quality of that piece is quite high, this is a few of the reasons I went with this intercooler, compatibility with their CAI and consistency in the engine bay. However with that said I also have a PRL catted DP and FP waiting to go in soon as well...exciting times!
Nice. I am excited for you. I wish I could jump on it like I initially planned but the price is hard to justify for me right now. Maybe I will get it around Black Friday this year... Look forward to people's review.

EconoBox

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Just picked up a 2020 SI and I will be ordering this and some of your other products as soon as I get some miles on the car. It looks like you have put a ton of R&D time into all of your products.

CanadiaegeanBlue

First Name
Humza
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si Sedan - Aegean Blue Metallic
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
You will feel the difference on a stock turbo car as well with an upgraded Intercooler. Among other parts and areas that get hot in an engine bay with hard driving, hot climates, and/or long idling, once the intercooler gets too hot it's not able to sufficiently cool down the air that is moving across the intercooler from the hot side (air piped in from the turbo) towards the cold side (air piped back into the engine)

Honda Civic 10th gen 27WON Front Mount Intercooler Kit for L15 (testing, R&D, and availability) upload_2020-2-11_11-21-47

A larger Intercooler core helps dissipate the heat over a larger surface area, and is able to capture more of the passing air as you're driving versus a factory intercooler. The above image showed how this helped cool the charged air as it passed through the larger upgraded IC vs. a factory IC, and below you can see exactly how much larger 27won's offering is.

You can also see the ends of most if not all upgraded IC's are solid so help prevent cracking over time, or under higher pressures with modified cars that are being driven hard. The inlet and outlets are also larger, and not pictured is larger diameter piping that flows more freely and is better at insulating iteself from the heat inside an engine bay.
Honda Civic 10th gen 27WON Front Mount Intercooler Kit for L15 (testing, R&D, and availability) upload_2020-2-11_11-21-47

OP
OP
Vincent@27WON

Vincent@27WON

REDEFINE the Aftermarket
Elite Sponsor
First Name
Vincent
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.27won.com
Vehicle(s)
18 SI, 18 CTR, 22 Si, 23 Integra
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Hey Vincent,
I read the blog post but it only showed gains for your modded civic, would you expect any increase in power from just dropping in the fmic into a mostly stock Si with no tune?
yes, one can expect very good gains on a stock turbo car as well.

FC1Dawn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
I recall that @10GenPearlSi commented that he regretted upgrading to the larger PRL charge pipes. Mentioned that the increased turbo lag was not ideal. I am concerned that if I did purchase the 27Won FMIC upgrade kit, that the larger 27Won pipes would create even more lag than the PRL FMIC kit (with PRL charge pipes). I plan to use the stock turbo for awhile but may eventually upgrade to the 27Won W1 turbo.

OEM Charge pipes: 1.50" hotside, 1.50" coldside
PRL Charge pipes: 2" hotside, 2.5" coldside
27Won Charge pipes: 2.25" hotside, 2.75" coldside.

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Odyssey, '94 300zx, 2001 F-150
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
It's been lost to the photobucket blur-vision over at twinturbo.net in the intervening years... but there used to be some wonderful charts showing how going from 2 to 2.5" charge pipes made 300zx have absolutely massive midrange gains. Granted, that car already didn't reach full boost until around 3800 RPMs and it's ECU lacked the functionality of ours to make all the tweaks. Still... the charge pipes made a huge difference. For a stock turbo, having larger piping was one of the best thing you could do to a stock turbo'ed car running max (i.e. inefficient) boost. I'd love to see a TSP stage 1 w/a stock turbo before and after with one. I liked the blog where 27WON showed it w/their in-house turbo... but that one wasn't being pushed hard and showing a tiny stock turbo being pushed too hard and running hot and inefficiently and how a better intercooler can really be a band-aid to help things out would be neat to see.

With a stock car... it should make a minor difference without a tune... but the real gains on a stock car are going to be seen under sustained hard driving... where you won't have rising IATs robbing more and more power and you go. Driving gently and doing a quick throttle stab for a few seconds and then quitting won't show the scope of the benefit the IC will give.

There is dynos of a mildly modded car (drop in filter, downpipe) running the stock tune getting some nice single-digit gains... and those gains get more pronounced on additional dyno pulls where the stock intercooler rapidly got heat soaked. As it's a thread on competitors product... I won't post it here but is a good reference point. It shows how small gains really get large as you push a car again and again. The benefit is large a few minutes into a spirited drive on a hot summer day.
Sponsored