WickedSlow

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
I bought my civic in January and ran my first autocross with it last weekend. I knew the OEM all season tires would be bad but they were far worse than bad and I'm moving up my schedule for an upgrade in wheels and tires. I feel that I have a good shot at winning my club class with some wide tires, even without a super aggressive tire like the RE-71R. I'm probably going to go with RS4 because I will daily drive these, at least this season. Section width of theses tires is 10.6".

It seems there are very few options in 17x9 et45, which is the best option for avoiding or reducing poke (don't want), and cutting weight. I'd like to be as flush as possible.

Looking at various wheel and tire calculators it appears these will fit. Anyone have any direct experience? Any advice would be appreciated. Trying to get this done before my next event.

https://www.willtheyfit.com/index.p...ct2=40&wheel_size=17&wheel_width=9&offset2=45

https://www.wheel-size.com/calc/?wh...40-17X9ET45&fcl=50mm&scl=50mm&wcl=30mm&sr=0mm
Sponsored

Last edited:

das borgen

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
E36 M3, Ducati 748, '17 EGP Si Coupe
Country flag
I'm running ET +48mm, 17"x8" with 255/40/17 tires. I'm getting no poke past the fenders, and still plenty of clearance to the strut and no rubbing on either the front or rear under full tire loading (worst case).

I think you will be just fine

Honda Civic 10th gen 255/40R17 on 17x9 et45 8fr3zay-

Last edited:
OP
OP
WickedSlow

WickedSlow

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
I'm running ET +48mm, 17"x8" with 255/40/17 tires. I'm getting no poke past the fenders, and still plenty of clearance to the strut and no rubbing on either the front or rear under full tire loading (worst case).

I think you will be just fine

8fr3zay-jpg.jpg
Thank you very much. Hopefully this brings some autocross victories this season. I was a second off the winner in my first event with this car on all seasons after driving only 3 events in the last 3 years. Driver improvement + familiarity + grip will hopefully = wins.

Will share info and pics after installed.

OP
OP
WickedSlow

WickedSlow

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Put the wheels and tires on today. I ended up having to add a 3mm spacer to clear the brakes. They sit fairly flush. Looking forward to my first event!

Honda Civic 10th gen 255/40R17 on 17x9 et45 20180606_201116~2

Honda Civic 10th gen 255/40R17 on 17x9 et45 20180606_201200

Honda Civic 10th gen 255/40R17 on 17x9 et45 20180606_201136

123towers

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Put the wheels and tires on today. I ended up having to add a 3mm spacer to clear the brakes. They sit fairly flush. Looking forward to my first event!

20180606_201116~2.jpg

20180606_201200.jpg

20180606_201136.jpg
What's up man! I'm new to the forums and really have been looking for a wide tread set up mainly for grip. Looks like you have achieved that by going with 17x9 +45 . I was originally going to go with an 18x8.5 and go with the eibach pro kit, until i came across a very helpful member. He mentioned you had not changed any springs and have kept it stock. This looks great. What type of spacers did you use for the front?

Thanks in advanced. love the set up! :)

OP
OP
WickedSlow

WickedSlow

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
What's up man! I'm new to the forums and really have been looking for a wide tread set up mainly for grip. Looks like you have achieved that by going with 17x9 +45 . I was originally going to go with an 18x8.5 and go with the eibach pro kit, until i came across a very helpful member. He mentioned you had not changed any springs and have kept it stock. This looks great. What type of spacers did you use for the front?

Thanks in advanced. love the set up! :)
Yes, the car is completely stock other than wheels and tires.

I'm not sure of the brand of the spacer as it was provided by the tire shop but it's 3mm and universal, not specifically for our cars. This is the first time I've used spacers so I'm not sure if there are better options that are not universal.

The club autocross series I run allows any wheel and tire combination in stock class so I went with the widest that I thought would fit. It has worked well as I've won my class two events in a row by significant margins, after finishing third in my class in my first event with the car on all seasons. I have loads of grip now, and there is no drama. There's no rubbing, just that awesome sound that RE-71Rs makes as they grip the pavement.

I don't feel any need to do suspension, other than a rear sway. I like running in a stock class and the car feels really good and is extremely competitive in its current form. I've finished as high as 9th out of 115 cars in overall raw times. I run pretty quickly out of the box and was as high as third after the first set of runs but slipped down the times sheet as the faster cars and drivers found time.

Honda Civic 10th gen 255/40R17 on 17x9 et45 167673048.ld2hfHil.KLIN3414

CanadiaegeanBlue

First Name
Humza
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si Sedan - Aegean Blue Metallic
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Oye, found ya here Brad! Looks like Brian found you even before I did too, we were talking on Instagram about wheel and tire setups. Funnily enough, I was tracing Das Borgen's trail of crumbs to see his setup for AutoX, and ended up on this thread :)

Hope to see you at the next event!

- Humza

macrossranma

First Name
macross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic SI
Country flag
Can confirm. The si stock is a very good handling car and he's against some of the guys/cars that are top competitive player of the region. I'm running a good 1.8s slower than him. Need to catch up my autox skills

Also need to mention I have 17x8.5 +38 mm offset on same rim with 235 45 17 re71r and mine cleared no problem

OP
OP
WickedSlow

WickedSlow

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Working on the driver is always important. I've been autocrossing for 15 years and I did an autocross instruction day after the first event. It helped me get used to this car, which I hadn't even launch hard until the first event of the season. No matter how fast you are or how long you've done it, you can always improve. This car is extremely fast in stock form, so you have a good platform to start with, without having to tinker. Resist the urge to go mod crazy until you've reached your potential as a driver.

123towers

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Working on the driver is always important. I've been autocrossing for 15 years and I did an autocross instruction day after the first event. It helped me get used to this car, which I hadn't even launch hard until the first event of the season. No matter how fast you are or how long you've done it, you can always improve. This car is extremely fast in stock form, so you have a good platform to start with, without having to tinker. Resist the urge to go mod crazy until you've reached your potential as a driver.
Wow, thanks for the info! this is great i will be purchasing the wheels and spacers for the front next week. I'm a little un sure about tires! Humza mentioned Firestones and your running bridgestone, how many miles will each of these tires last? I'm very excited about this set up and really looking forward to driving the car. I was really stuck on 18x 8.5 and purchasing the eibach pro kit to lower the car a bit, because I was so adamant about keeping the 18's as far as stock wheel size, then I had done research on autocross setups and 9th gen civics using the 17's, then I found you guys and definitely confirmed what I want do. How far off is the speedo??

Thanks for all the helpful info you guys are awesome!

macrossranma

First Name
macross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic SI
Country flag
The re71r and Indy 500 are 2 diffentdi class of tire. I have both. The re71r is alot more grip compare to Indy 500 but doesn't last long so if u have alot of daily driving I don't recommend re71r. It is also more expensive than Indy 500. From the review that I read online the re71r may last you max of 15k km if you don't track and/or autox your car. The indy500 will probably last about 30k with no track/autox.

OP
OP
WickedSlow

WickedSlow

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Wow, thanks for the info! this is great i will be purchasing the wheels and spacers for the front next week. I'm a little un sure about tires! Humza mentioned Firestones and your running bridgestone, how many miles will each of these tires last? I'm very excited about this set up and really looking forward to driving the car. I was really stuck on 18x 8.5 and purchasing the eibach pro kit to lower the car a bit, because I was so adamant about keeping the 18's as far as stock wheel size, then I had done research on autocross setups and 9th gen civics using the 17's, then I found you guys and definitely confirmed what I want do. How far off is the speedo??

Thanks for all the helpful info you guys are awesome!
They have noticeable wear after 2 events. I am rotating front to back after 2 events and will be taking the tires off the rims and flipping left to right after 4 events to even out wear as much as possible. I drive about 20km day for work and about 70km round trip to my girlfriends place on the weekend. I'm trying to get maximum the life out of these tires. If you're driving these mainly for street use, I'd recommend another tire instead of the RE-71R. They'd quite honesty be a waste for street only driving. They're noisy as hell and I drive nowhere near their limits on the street.

If you want to do competitive driving events, make sure the rules are favourable for the setup you're going with, unless you're just doing it for fun and don't care about where you place in class.

The speedo is off by 1.6%, which is nothing.

123towers

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
They have noticeable wear after 2 events. I am rotating front to back after 2 events and will be taking the tires off the rims and flipping left to right after 4 events to even out wear as much as possible. I drive about 20km day for work and about 70km round trip to my girlfriends place on the weekend. I'm trying to get maximum the life out of these tires. If you're driving these mainly for street use, I'd recommend another tire instead of the RE-71R. They'd quite honesty be a waste for street only driving. They're noisy as hell and I drive nowhere near their limits on the street.

If you want to do competitive driving events, make sure the rules are favourable for the setup you're going with, unless you're just doing it for fun and don't care about where you place in class.

The speedo is off by 1.6%, which is nothing.

Thanks for the response. I'll need to look into some some summer tires, i really enjoy the bridgestone i run those on my motorcycle and love the confidence they give.

macrossranma

First Name
macross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic SI
Country flag
The indy500 is a budget summer tire which last long and have decent grip for street. But for best (imo) summer street tire that will last long consider the Michelin ps4s

erbee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 Nissan Altima, 2004 BMW M3
Country flag
I find it funny the Indy 500 it's so cheap in 20's compare to 18 . 2553520 is like 130 $220 less than stock csc6 so I bought a set for daily .

I now have a set of 18x9 and 2 ps4s 2454018 I like to reuse . Should I get re71 R in 245 or 255 for the fronts ? It's only a $8 difference. This tire set is mostly for canyon drives and if they feel good I might just daily them .
Sponsored