$24,978 otd for 2020 Hatchback Sport??? How to negotiate...

paranoider

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sirrus (bicycle)
Country flag
Car: 2020 civic hatchback sport CVT.

I got a quote from a dealership in Bay Area, CA.

• Base model: $23,550
  • Destination charge: $930
  • MSRP: $24,480
  • Dealer Discount: -$1,492
  • Honda Incentive: -$500
  • Direct Price: $22,488
  • Tax: $2,032
  • Registation etc.: $459
  • TOTAL: $24,978

That seems way too high for the sport trim. But how should I negotiate? Should I just quote more dealerships, use the lowest otd to ask everyone else to beat, and repeat that procedure? Or do I try to talk to that dealer more specifically (e.g. to increase dealer discount)?

I think $22,000 should be a target otd price in bay area (9% tax...) according to this chart. Does anyone have similar experience? I really could use some suggestions...
Sponsored

DoctorC

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport Touring in Sonic Gray
Country flag
Car: 2020 civic hatchback sport CVT.

I got a quote from a dealership in Bay Area, CA.

• Base model: $23,550
  • Destination charge: $930
  • MSRP: $24,480
  • Dealer Discount: -$1,492
  • Honda Incentive: -$500
  • Direct Price: $22,488
  • Tax: $2,032
  • Registation etc.: $459
  • TOTAL: $24,978

That seems way too high for the sport trim. But how should I negotiate? Should I just quote more dealerships, use the lowest otd to ask everyone else to beat, and repeat that procedure? Or do I try to talk to that dealer more specifically (e.g. to increase dealer discount)?

I think $22,000 should be a target otd price in bay area (9% tax...) according to this chart. Does anyone have similar experience? I really could use some suggestions...
It was recommended to me to try to get at least a few online quotes from dealerships in the area and have them try to beat each other in price, while showing up to a couple of them for test drives so they know you are real.

OP
OP
paranoider

paranoider

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sirrus (bicycle)
Country flag
It was recommended to me to try to get at least a few online quotes from dealerships in the area and have them try to beat each other in price, while showing up to a couple of them for test drives so they know you are real.
Thank you for the advice! I tried that and the lowest otd of the 1st round is $24,2xx ($21,7xx + 9.25% tax and fees). I just sent that price to all other dealers, and there's already 2 dealers said that they cannot beat that price...

I saw in another thread that the goal should be getting the sale price lower than invoice price. In this case, the lowest sale price is $21,7xx, and the invoice price is $22,808 according to this website. However, $24,2xx otd still seems too high for the sport trim.

Is there anyone here who bought 2020 hatchback in CA? I really need some advice on the price...

TypeSiR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1.5T Civic, Fit, MX-5, CTR
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
You're fighting time. Worst time to buy a new Honda is during the first few months of the model year. During these initial months, very few Honda dealers are willing to deal at or below invoice. If you don't like to play hardball with the dealers, buy used.

My strategy is come up with my own OTD price and walk in (or via email blast) and tell the sales guy up front. If it's a no, then I thank the guy and move on to the next dealer on the list. I think $23900 OTD is as low as you can get in Calif. But that's used Si money as a reference.

CVT Sport hatches are a dime a dozen. You can easily find a used one for around $17k (2017, 2018) if you don't care for CarPlay and Sensing. You should be able to find Sport Touring for around $20k (MY 2017) with CarPlay and Sensing + leather + moon roof.

DoctorC

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport Touring in Sonic Gray
Country flag
One thing to keep in mind is that most bay area dealers have a lot of overhead costs as well because of how expensive it is to operate here which may be why they are not willing to go lower. You could try looking a little further out in the valley or up north more towards Sacramento if you dont mind a drive

OP
OP
paranoider

paranoider

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sirrus (bicycle)
Country flag
You're fighting time. Worst time to buy a new Honda is during the first few months of the model year. During these initial months, very few Honda dealers are willing to deal at or below invoice. If you don't like to play hardball with the dealers, buy used.

My strategy is come up with my own OTD price and walk in (or via email blast) and tell the sales guy up front. If it's a no, then I thank the guy and move on to the next dealer on the list. I think $23900 OTD is as low as you can get in Calif. But that's used Si money as a reference.

CVT Sport hatches are a dime a dozen. You can easily find a used one for around $17k (2017, 2018) if you don't care for CarPlay and Sensing. You should be able to find Sport Touring for around $20k (MY 2017) with CarPlay and Sensing + leather + moon roof.
That really makes sense!! I’ll consider a new 2019 model or a used one. Thanks so much for the help! Hope I can change my avatar ASAP :)

OP
OP
paranoider

paranoider

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sirrus (bicycle)
Country flag
One thing to keep in mind is that most bay area dealers have a lot of overhead costs as well because of how expensive it is to operate here which may be why they are not willing to go lower. You could try looking a little further out in the valley or up north more towards Sacramento if you dont mind a drive
Makes sense! So it seems another way is to buy a used one from private party to avoid the operating cost...

civic_kid

First Name
Aron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Sport Sedan
Country flag
I was able to purchase a new 2019 sedan sport for 21,000 otd. Pretty good deal considering I’m also in the Bay Area. Check out Hayward Honda, I got it a few months before the new year though and at the end of the month, so that probably played a factor in why I was able to cut down the price a good amount.

Shankmeyster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
He's talking about Sport hatch, not Sport Sedan. There is a BIG difference. $24k otd is about where you are going to be regardless, unless you want to deal with 19's. I'm about to upgrade to the 20 from my 17 due to the amount of updates they put into the Sport and I would recommend you only get a 20 instead of settling for last years leftovers, even if you have to wait a little while.

OP
OP
paranoider

paranoider

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sirrus (bicycle)
Country flag
I was able to purchase a new 2019 sedan sport for 21,000 otd. Pretty good deal considering I’m also in the Bay Area. Check out Hayward Honda, I got it a few months before the new year though and at the end of the month, so that probably played a factor in why I was able to cut down the price a good amount.
Congrats on the new car! Yeah I think it's really good for the sport trim sedan and bay area. I'll surely check out Hayward Honda about the hatchbacks...

OP
OP
paranoider

paranoider

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sirrus (bicycle)
Country flag
He's talking about Sport hatch, not Sport Sedan. There is a BIG difference. $24k otd is about where you are going to be regardless, unless you want to deal with 19's. I'm about to upgrade to the 20 from my 17 due to the amount of updates they put into the Sport and I would recommend you only get a 20 instead of settling for last years leftovers, even if you have to wait a little while.
Great choice on the hatchback! :) You mean you also think $24k otd is too expensive for the sport trim right? (Apologize for my English...)

I'm hesitating about 2019/2020 model... I think 2020 model does have some updates, especially for the sport trim, like car play, remote engine start... and also I like the crossbar near the fog light :)

civic_kid

First Name
Aron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Sport Sedan
Country flag
Congrats on the new car! Yeah I think it's really good for the sport trim sedan and bay area. I'll surely check out Hayward Honda about the hatchbacks...
Yeah man definitely check them out. Don’t know if they’ll budge to the price I got since it’s a different car, different time, etc... but you never know. Kenneth over at Hayward Honda was super nice and did everything he could to get me a good price. Anyways, hope your able to get a new hatchback soon!

OP
OP
paranoider

paranoider

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sirrus (bicycle)
Country flag
Just received a $24,700 otd for 2020 hatchback EX in sonic gray... It's from a Bay Area local dealership.

Guys, what do you think of that price?

Shankmeyster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Great choice on the hatchback! :) You mean you also think $24k otd is too expensive for the sport trim right? (Apologize for my English...)

I'm hesitating about 2019/2020 model... I think 2020 model does have some updates, especially for the sport trim, like car play, remote engine start... and also I like the crossbar near the fog light :)
Yes you want the 20 over the 19 due to the massive amount of upgrades you get over the original model. Push button alone is worth it not to mention the head unit upgrade and remote start.
Sponsored