Annexed

First Name
Austen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si
Country flag
I was reading that the 2021 Hyundai Elantra new design will be shown on live stream, on March 17th. This new Hyundai, will be going up against the Civic and Corolla since Ford and Chevy have decided to go the SUV route. Notably in the article it stated that "Elantra is returning to it's sports sedan roots". I'm guessing that they're also trying to go up against the SI. Since the Elantra sport hasn't done much up against the SI. It will be interesting to see what Hyundai does. What are your thoughts on the new release?
Source: https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a31368284/2021-hyundai-elantra-redesign-revealed/

Honda Civic 10th gen 2021 Hyundai Elantra 2021-hyundai-elantra-shows-crazy-styling-in-first-rendering-138917-7
Sponsored

Drake

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Si
Country flag
A little too early to get a good impression, we'll need to wait for more info before any real conclusions can be drawn. If they do make an 'Si-competitor' it will likely be some sort of 'N-line' trim. If they make a straight 'N' model then they might get closer to the Type-R, but I wonder if they would want to risk stepping on the toes of their Veloster-N. Good to hear some companies are interested in keeping the sporty-compact segment alive, though.
However, if that artist's rendition turns out to be accurate, I will be keeping my distance from any new Elantras :eek:

OP
OP
Annexed

Annexed

First Name
Austen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si
Country flag
I they do make an 'Si-competitor' it will likely be some sort of 'N-line' trim.
However, if that artist's rendition turns out to be accurate, I will be keeping my distance from any new Elantras :eek:
I hope they do make an N-Line with a LSD. Also I agree, if the renders are true, it's not their best design. 6 days till we find out

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Playing around with some lighting effects from the official Hyundai render...

Honda Civic 10th gen 2021 Hyundai Elantra render

This thing has some crazy angular creases. Side note: saw my first new Sonata the other day in person and it looked very good

Hollywoo0220

Customer Service oriented (most of the time) :-)
First Name
RJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dihatsu Charade, BMW, Various Hondas, Focus ST, and VW GTI
Country flag
It's a body design and it more than likely won't look like the released photo at all. Automotive Product Development goes through quite the rigorous process and the last of the process before Production is "Detailed Engineering" and "Marketing". At this point, Hyundai is gathering all of the "oohs & ahhs". They just may slap a slightly smaller liter engine in there and obtain the same performance level as the current models - or stick with the same design (as it isn't broken).
If you are into performance modifications, Hyundai is not the ticket.

turbo lover

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
Country flag
I'm not sure what sport sedan roots they plan on returning to. Hopefully that's just something that their marketing group came up with and not the actual plan.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
It's a body design and it more than likely won't look like the released photo at all. Automotive Product Development goes through quite the rigorous process and the last of the process before Production is "Detailed Engineering" and "Marketing". At this point, Hyundai is gathering all of the "oohs & ahhs". They just may slap a slightly smaller liter engine in there and obtain the same performance level as the current models - or stick with the same design (as it isn't broken).
If you are into performance modifications, Hyundai is not the ticket.
Having run elantraclub.com (now just an archive) since the early 2000's, you might be surprised to know that aftermarket support isn't too bad. Shark Racing, Korean Auto Imports and KDM Tuners to name a few. It's nowhere near what the Honda scene is obviously, but not the barren desert some might think. People who joined my community were mostly enthusiasts though (yes, there are Hyundai enthusiasts lol), Unfortunately, the vast majority of Hyundai buyers aren't into performance and modding. Still, over the years we had 25,000 members join.

Last edited:

Hollywoo0220

First Name
RJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Having run elantraclub.com (now just an archive) since the early 2000's, you might be surprised to know that aftermarket support isn't too bad. Shark Racing, Korean Auto Imports and KDM Tuners to name a few. It's nowhere near what the Honda scene is obviously, but not the barren desert some might think. People who joined my community were mostly enthusiasts though (yes, there are Hyundai enthusiasts lol), Unfortunately, the vast majority of Hyundai buyers aren't into performance and modding. Still, over the years we had 25,000 members join.
Impressive! 25K members huh...
Assuredly there is an option for just about any brand (other than Tesla), however, you are right about having to be enthusiastic. I can say that regardless of brand, there are more that are "restless" and not very "enthusiastic" o_O

MorrisGray

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Mazda3 5sp manual, 2012 Genesis sedan
Country flag
I don't expect many of you to agree with me or appreciate my thoughts but here goes....
.... I actually appreciate the mundane styling over the Honda flashy looking fake vents and type R wing. I am pulling for someone besides Honda to come up with something better to drive and be a little less flamboyant. I have driven the 2020 SI once and liked everything about the driving and comfort other than the rev hang. Rev hang seems to be a common side effect of the small turbo assisted motors with all or most manufacturers.
.... I have owned 7 Honda autos in the past and they all had naturally aspirated 4 cylinder motors. All of the Accord manual transmission models were pleasurable to drive. The Prelude was fun to drive! The SI reminds me of the prelude but better in most ways. Being over the age of 60, I don't like fake vents or fake exhaust tips and I want a real spare tire, or at least a temporary spare tire. I could care less about 0-60 times but I do like the get up and go speed factor. I don't want a car that is not enjoyable to drive by any means but I will no longer be trying to outrun someone else, I just want to have a little bit of fun every day I drive. And I want the manual to be a good one, shifting and ratio wise for highway travel on my vacations. I like a sporty style, nice wheels but with 55 series tires and small spoilers but at least big enough to see them. I like leather seats but can live with nice cloth ones. I am 6'1" and I want to be able to sit behind myself. I don't need the back seat to be luxurious by any means. I don't really trust any turbo motors yet from any manufacturer but my preference there is probably gone unless I want a Dodge Challenger. I don't really want 19 or 20 inch wheels, 17" would do and 18" should be the limit for practical use and comfort. I want to be able to use regular 87 octane gas.
.... Any way , in my opinion the rendering of the new Sonata looks very acceptable from the front view as pictured above. There doesn't appear to be any fake vents and although the grill is larger than it needs to be , it is not nearly as bad as the Toyota cars today among some others. The side view shown above looks like the Accord to me and is also very acceptable. I imagine Hyundai may give it an "N Line" package available with their proven 1.6L turbo rated at 201hp and possibly a 2.0L turbo? I doubt that they will offer it in a manual transmission but I sure hope they do.
..... I do believe Toyota could have had a big hit when they came out with the Camry TRD (if) they would have offered it with a manual transmission! That would be the car that I would want. A naturally aspirated v6 motor running on regular gas with 300hp in a sedan and having a manual transmission. That would truly be the ticket for me.
..... I still may buy a SI but right now I am thinking of waiting for the 2021 model to see what might change. My hopes would be to cure the rev hang, improve the fake vent look, move up to the 2.0L turbo like the Accord running on regular, change out the HDMI exhaust tip for two or three or four round exhaust tips and give me a spare tire. I can live with red in the seats but would prefer the gray as before. I think. I never looked at one before the 2020 model that I drove.
..... Please chime in on my thoughts, I like clean group discussions and listening to others opinions. We don't have to all agree on the same things and I don't believe anyone has a wrong opinion.

Hollywoo0220

First Name
RJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
@MorrisGray
I do not see the "fake vents" as an annoyance, rather an accent that adds a bit more character to a vehicle. Instead of the same body colored mold all the way around as before.
M/T V6s would be nice, but those are now since faded. Everything is about Economy in our current time. By saying "Economy" I mean both ends of the sprectrum of economics and fuel efficiency.
There is a an audience of enthusiasts, yes; however, there are far more that are not. The industry cannot afford to cater to the few, they must go forward and attempt to meet the demands of both the public and firstly, governmental standards. It is quite the slippery slope.
As you stated about the Rev Hang of the Si, well - you can alleviate that with Tuner Hardware (if you enjoy the vehicle).
I have warned many to "enjoy the current times and be prepared to embrace the suck" - as the future of automobiles will be much more bleak for the "tuner" minded than it currently is.

I personally do not stress the things that I myself cannot control, I simply remain in control and embrace whatever comes forward and adapt. Life is a fight hard enough, let alone a vehicle I wish existed for an appropriate price.

Last edited:

OP
OP
Annexed

Annexed

First Name
Austen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si
Country flag
Update:
So supposedly they're coming out with an N-line or full N version.:spaz:
"Allegedly, the high-performance Hyundai Elantra N will pack a 2.0-liter turbo engine that produces 275 horsepower to match the Veloster N. Power will reportedly be sent through a six-speed manual transmission and an 8-speed dual-clutch transmission"
Source: https://carbuzz.com/news/a-high-performance-hyundai-elantra-n-is-coming

Drake

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Si
Country flag
Update:
So supposedly they're coming out with an N-line or full N version.:spaz:
"Allegedly, the high-performance Hyundai Elantra N will pack a 2.0-liter turbo engine that produces 275 horsepower to match the Veloster N. Power will reportedly be sent through a six-speed manual transmission and an 8-speed dual-clutch transmission"
Source: https://carbuzz.com/news/a-high-performance-hyundai-elantra-n-is-coming
Nice! The more competitive this segment gets will greatly reward the consumer: take notice, Honda!
One thing I have been confused about for a while; since Hyundai and Kia are basically two brands of the same company, isn't Hyundai supposed to be the 'more mature and luxurious brand' while Kia is meant to appeal to the 'young and sporty' drivers? If this is true, shouldn't Kia's badge be all over cars like the Veloster and any N-labeled models?

turbo lover

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
Country flag
OP
OP
Annexed

Annexed

First Name
Austen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si
Country flag
Nice! The more competitive this segment gets will greatly reward the consumer: take notice, Honda!
One thing I have been confused about for a while; since Hyundai and Kia are basically two brands of the same company, isn't Hyundai supposed to be the 'more mature and luxurious brand' while Kia is meant to appeal to the 'young and sporty' drivers? If this is true, shouldn't Kia's badge be all over cars like the Veloster and any N-labeled models?
Yeah I'm also confused about Kia and Hyundai... I just knew Hyundai bought alot of stocks from kia when they were failing and ended up owning half of the company. But now kia has bounced back a bit. It's super confusing, since they share similar parts. IMO I think Kia only has the Stringer and Telluride going for them, otherwise Hyundai has them beat. But I'm super excited for this new Elantra
Sponsored