2020 speculation? Think they will drop the R in the USA?

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
An Si with a type R engine? I'm curious as to why? Would not having bought/ be given an R have been less exspensive? I mean you are missing all the features of the R that makes it so good that the Si does not have. And the cars are around same weight. And they are not that far apart in price. Just trying to understand the logic there. Any insight?
There is definitely an appetite for more power in the Si without going balls out like the CTR. Same configuration, just better brakes and a 2.0T that's more closely matched with the GTI in both torque and fuel economy. Honda really needs a 1.8T in this lineup to meet the 220-240 HP range. But they could probably do it with the 2.0T (at the expense of some efficiency).

Besides, an all-out 2.0T Civic without all the LOOK AT ME aero would be a nice thumper to tool around. :cool:
Sponsored

OP
OP
Harlaquin

Harlaquin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Type R and a beater ford focus
Country flag
There is definitely an appetite for more power in the Si without going balls out like the CTR. Same configuration, just better brakes and a 2.0T that's more closely matched with the GTI in both torque and fuel economy. Honda really needs a 1.8T in this lineup to meet the 220-240 HP range. But they could probably do it with the 2.0T (at the expense of some efficiency).

Besides, a Civic without all the LOOK AT ME aero would be a nice thumper to tool around. :cool:
I guess if this is an experiment car or something but I took it as it was his own car. I mean if I'm standing in front of a R and Si why would I buy a Si and go through the exspense and time to put a R engine in it when I could just buy the R. Seems replacing an Si engine with an R engine would cost more then just buying the R. I would get it if I was some other car like when they put Chevy small blocks in fieros, but the Si and R are practically the same car looks and weight wise. And you aren't really gaining anything over the R and spending more money. Guess I'm missing something. Its like when people buy a base mustang and spend more trying to make it a cobra then if they just bought the cobra.

aldo

Banned
Banned
First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
I guess if this is an experiment car or something but I took it as it was his own car. I mean if I'm standing in front of a R and Si why would I buy a Si and go through the exspense and time to put a R engine in it when I could just buy the R. Seems replacing an Si engine with an R engine would cost more then just buying the R. I would get it if I was some other car like when they put Chevy small blocks in fieros, but the Si and R are practically the same car looks and weight wise. And you aren't really gaining anything over the R and spending more money. Guess I'm missing something. Its like when people buy a base mustang and spend more trying to make it a cobra then if they just bought the cobra.
The reason why is Honda has developed a Civic Type R crate engine purchase program to develop Honda racing. The guys name is Kevin Boehm and he works as an engineer for Honda at their Marysville plant, the way it works is you have to apply and get membership in the Honda program and then you can purchase a Type R engine for like $6K and put it into a stripped down Civic Si body and go racing.

aldo

Banned
Banned
First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
Also I have no idea what the overall cost would be, only that the Civic Type R crate engine is about $6K

OP
OP
Harlaquin

Harlaquin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
The reason why is Honda has developed a Civic Type R crate engine purchase program to develop Honda racing. The guys name is Kevin Boehm and he works as an engineer for Honda at their Marysville plant, the way it works is you have to apply and get membership in the Honda program and then you can purchase a Type R engine for like $6K and put it into a stripped down Civic Si body and go racing.
Right I get that. For development and and part of hondas race team. But for a regular everyday person such as myself this would make zero sense to do cost wise.

aldo

Banned
Banned
First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
Right I get that. For development and and part of hondas race team. But for a regular everyday person such as myself this would make zero sense to do cost wise.
Of course you have a brand new Type R you wouldn’t want to take out your engine and put the same one back in, but for a person that buys a used Si and wants a Type R engine, they can do that.

OP
OP
Harlaquin

Harlaquin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Of course you have a brand new Type R you wouldn’t want to take out your engine and put the same one back in, but for a person that buys a used Si and wants a Type R engine, they can do that.
I guess my brain is stuck on Si cost + R engine+ time and parts - you don't get any of the support systems like suspension , aero. Equals car that cost more but performs less then an R. Now if you came across a cheap auction or wrecked Si and bought an R engine then would be cheaper.

Now to get that Si up to R standards you will spend more then the cost of a R. So why not buy an R and put the extra into it?

Now from a racing development standard I get it, cost goes out window . But for the everyday guy...eh..just buy an R. Plus apparently the everyday guy cant get one anyway unless off one them auction wreck sites but then most still sell for 10k plus for parts.

aldo

Banned
Banned
First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
I
I guess my brain is stuck on Si cost + R engine+ time and parts - you don't get any of the support systems like suspension , aero. Equals car that cost more but performs less then an R. Now if you came across a cheap auction or wrecked Si and bought an R engine then would be cheaper.

Now to get that Si up to R standards you will spend more then the cost of a R. So why not buy an R and put the extra into it?

Now from a racing development standard I get it, cost goes out window . But for the everyday guy...eh..just buy an R. Plus apparently the everyday guy cant get one anyway unless off one them auction wreck sites but then most still sell for 10k plus for parts.
The program is so you can have a Type R engine in any sort of small-displacement vehicle, doesn’t have to be an Si. You can drop the engine into an Acura that has a blown engine, etc. Honda is picking up on the crate engine business that’s been going on for years with high performance Chevy and Ford engines.

aldo

Banned
Banned
First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
The fact that they’re cranking out these Type R engines here in Ohio, and they offering them for $6500 as crate engines, I don’t think you’re gonna see these engines or Type R’s going away or getting discontinued anytime soon, my opinion is they’re just getting started.

jasonjm

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Type-R
Country flag
When brexit happens, that will be the end of the Type-R going forward. Regulations will take awhile before fully taking place, but everyone will be hit with transport and tax costs immediately, and that will include supply chain.

With the Type-R motor only being slightly different than other uses (Accord, RDX), they’ll just dial production back until RDX production increases to match the gap (and that won’t take long).

A bigger S660 aka S1000 (it’s getting bigger) is expected, as well as another variation of the NSX (of which no one buys). The next anticipation will be regarding the new Twin Turbo V6 going into all Acura models. But don’t expect Type-R lightness or corner speeds. It will be more akin to a Q70S when they put it in the TLX. Also don’t expect a manual. There isn’t one for the V6 any longer.

The real question of where they will go 2 generations from now, if the V6 is found to be 2.5L in size there is a good chance an Accord SiR or TLX Type-S could happen.

I believe the Civic will forever be 1.5L or less.

Unless Honda is willing to write off more money like they’re doing with the NSX, the FK8 Type-R truly will be a classic going forward.

Even if unintentionally, but by political policy.

Last edited:

aldo

Banned
Banned
First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
Honda is cranking out these Type R engines here in Ohio, they have been for a number of years now, Brexit will have 0 impact, they’re gonna put this power plant into a few vehicles going forward, Honda assembles a massive number of vehicles right here in the Midwest, they’ve been talking about a CVT Type R for a few years now, I can guarantee they’re not just gonna stop making those Type R engines in Anna.

jasonjm

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Type-R
Country flag
Honda is cranking out these Type R engines here in Ohio, they have been for a number of years now, Brexit will have 0 impact, they’re gonna put this power plant into a few vehicles going forward, Honda assembles a massive number of vehicles right here in the Midwest, they’ve been talking about a CVT Type R for a few years now, I can guarantee they’re not just gonna stop making those Type R engines in Anna.
I think you read too fast. As I said,

Brexit will kill the FK8 Civic Type-R, it’s made in the UK.

The engines will continue on, its used in the RDX, and the Accord in addition to the Type-R.

If a transmission will ever be used in a 300+ HP car that is not the manual, it will be either the ZF 9spd because it’s packing size, the new 10 speed, or the dual clutch 8 speed if they need it up. Those have been able to hold the hp while take near zero extra effort to redesign.

Unfortunately the CVT is far from being able to withstand the hp and torque.

Unless your talking about a Fit Type-R or HRV Type-R.

Sticky this and quote me in concrete, I will buy you two boxes of Pizza if I’m wrong. And a 6 pack (applies to cvt only).

Last edited:

aldo

Banned
Banned
First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
I think you read too fast. As I said,

Brexit will kill the FK8 Civic Type-R, it’s made in the UK.

The engines will continue on, its used in the RDX, and the Accord in addition to the Type-R.

If a transmission will ever be used in a 300+ HP car that is not the manual, it will be either the ZF 9spd because it’s packing size, the new 10 speed, or the dual clutch 8 speed if they need it up. Those have been able to hold the hp while take near zero extra effort to redesign.

Unfortunately the CVT is far from being able to withstand the hp and torque.

Unless your talking about a Fit Type-R or HRV Type-R.

Sticky this and quote me in concrete, I will buy you two boxes of Pizza if I’m wrong. And a 6 pack (applies to cvt only).
Ok sausage pizza please

Severedninja

First Name
Severed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Why would they get rid of a car that they can sell at msrp or even above?
Sponsored