2020 speculation? Think they will drop the R in the USA?

Lone Star R

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R, 2017 Honda HR-V, 2016 Honda Odyssey, 2016 Ram 3500 dually, 2001 CBR929RR Erion, 2004 RC51 NH edition, 2007 CBR1000RR Repsol, 2016 CBR1000RR-SP Repsol
Not sure there will be a '20 Civic Type R with the Odyssey Type R expected to be a '20 release.
Sponsored

typemismatch

First Name
Russell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A whole farm of Hondas
Country flag
They could drop the R, but I doubt it. They're still making the top 10 lists of most reputable magazines and they're not sitting on showroom floors.

This isn't like the ITR where they had to sell a certain number of them to be able to compete in a racing series, so that's not the driving factor for selling these in the US.

Numbers for the R seem to be reasonably limited, <30k in 3 years worldwide, with around 60% of those coming to North America, which works out to around 4k/year being sold in the US. Just for ballpark numbers.

Regardless of numbers, they'll probably sell the R for the entire generation. In Europe they tend to do a smaller run of "black edition" cars for the last year of the generation. We may or may not see that. It makes almost no sense for them to stop selling one of the hottest generations of civics they've had in the US in a while. Everywhere I look I see 10th civics these days. They haven't had this many new civics on the road in probably 3 generations.

If you're concerned about getting one that might increase in value, you probably want one of the first 1,000 or the least common color (SGP in the US).

I would expect to see a real refresh (changes to the bumpers, lights, wheels, maybe even increased power) for 2020 or 2021, then a new generation in 2022 or 2023.

I'm not sure why we have to do this every year. While Honda keeps their plans pretty close to the chest, when they're done with something, they announce it. Like they did with the RSX in 06.

sean465

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Championship White Civic Type R FK8 R-03927
Country flag
Type R will be with us for a good while, just look at how strong the hot hatch segment is at the moment. Golfs, Audi s3 & rs3, new merc a45s, new Meganes, Hyundai joining the party, no way Honda won't want a peice of the pie and after all it is the freakin hot hatch king so why walk away....

Driveitlikeuboughtit

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CW CTR
Country flag
Type R will be with us for a good while, just look at how strong the hot hatch segment is at the moment. Golfs, Audi s3 & rs3, new merc a45s, new Meganes, Hyundai joining the party, no way Honda won't want a peice of the pie and after all it is the freakin hot hatch king so why walk away....
Lots of players with the same consumer pool means less profitability. I assume the hatch market isn't really growing, as CUV/SUV/Trucks are eating sales across the globe.

OP
OP
Harlaquin

Harlaquin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Type R and a beater ford focus
Country flag
We are also down to bench warmer buyers. What I mean is , everyone who wanted,had to have, dreamed of it...has it. The type R buyers that are left are the maybe, maybe if ones in stock and I happen to drive by,maybe if its msrp or less, maybe if my wife/husband let's me, I already have 2 cars maybe if I need one I will, I have a family and it is not practical but maybe one day, maybe I'll just wait till next model year... so yeah I would have say sales will slowly drop. Even people who had one and then it got wrecked they replaced it with something else.

sean465

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Championship White Civic Type R FK8 R-03927
Country flag
Fair comments. The uk buys more hot hatches than any other European country so it's defo a hot segment here but then again the sporty SUV will no doubt be eating into them sales soon.

But if I am being honest the fk8 hasn't been a great seller in the uk, the looks are too much for the play it safe golf r brigade. I think we will see a softer version as per the spy shots this year to try bumpstart European sales, but don't think the type r will dissapear completely

NapalmEnema

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 M2, 2022 Audi RS3, ex2019, now 2021Type R!
Country flag
Car is not going anywhere they keep talking about new versions possible AWD in the future. This is a silly thread imo.

JayDiem

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 FK8, 2007 Ram 1500, 2000 CRV
Country flag
I feel like we will get the R for the rest of the tenth gen and they will not sell an 11th gen Type R and if they do, we (USA) won't get it.

FriscoBrah

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Championship White Civic Type R
Country flag
Car is not going anywhere they keep talking about new versions possible AWD in the future. This is a silly thread imo.
AWD isn't happening, it would undercut Acura's offerings. Furthermore there's no way the car can be AWD without a full redesign. They've spoken about a more "hardcore" version and it might be the Type R TCR now available for sale. https://hpd.honda.com/Articles/Touring/TCR-Sales-Information

Honda has also mentioned a less hardcore version. It could be a car with more amenities and less aggressive styling. To be honest it's all speculation.

Where would you put the hardware to drive the rear wheels?

Honda Civic 10th gen 2020 speculation? Think they will drop the R in the USA? 44843

I feel like we will get the R for the rest of the tenth gen and they will not sell an 11th gen Type R and if they do, we (USA) won't get it.
This is probably the case but I'd expect them to offer another Type R beyond the 10th gen. It doesn't make sense to incur the costs logistics-wise and manufacturing-wise to make a globally platform only to drop it. A 3-5 year run of R's is what Honda has done in the past.

Last edited:

boosted180sx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR, 2016 ILX
Country flag
it will probably for sure last throughout the 10th gen run. Who knows if the 11th gen one will come here but i don't see why they would stop it midway through the 10th gen run.

OP
OP
Harlaquin

Harlaquin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
AWD isn't happening, it would undercut Acura's offerings. Furthermore there's no way the car can be AWD without a full redesign. They've spoken about a more "hardcore" version and it might be the Type R TCR now available for sale. https://hpd.honda.com/Articles/Touring/TCR-Sales-Information

Honda has also mentioned a less hardcore version. It could be a car with more amenities and less aggressive styling. To be honest it's all speculation.

Where would you put the hardware to drive the rear wheels?

44843.jpg

This is probably the case but I'd expect them to offer another Type R beyond the 10th gen. It doesn't make sense to incur the costs logistics-wise and manufacturing-wise to make a globally platform only to drop it. A 3-5 year run of R's is what Honda has done in the past.
Yeah but Honda didn't incur that much manufacturing cost. They build this in England for a reason. because its the same plant that makes the rest of the hatches. The R manufacturing wise is basically the sport touring with a few tid bits screwed on. I know that is over simplifying it but you know what i mean.

OP
OP
Harlaquin

Harlaquin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Yes never said it was going anywhere, the R has always been produced for over seas markets and England. Never said they would stop producing it. My question was about the US market since there is so many other factors involved and Niche market cars like this have historically not been a big player in this market and why they are always just 3 to 5 year runs. Seeing how we are on year 3 I think my question is valid and I layed out my reasons why. Why must everyone bash my threads?
Sponsored