2020 speculation? Think they will drop the R in the USA?

Harlaquin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Type R and a beater ford focus
Country flag
So I was reading the other day that overall civic sales are down, way down, to the tune of 80k plus cars then the years before in the USA. And with almost every American manufacturer dropping cars in general due to the American idea that only a big gas guzzling SUV is the only car to own. Where do you think this leaves the R? With low R sales, not because of customer desire but limited numbers, and over all car and civic sales dropping, the desire for cars in general in the US dropping, dealer shennaigans and all the aggravation around buying an R. Do you think they will continue to import it here?
We love the R we think its the best car ever. but in reality its not a super popular car with the general public, sure they like it an all but most wouldn't buy it. your talking what 320 million people in the US alone and not counting all of NA that the car was released in and what maybe 10,12k Rs sold with some still sitting on lots. Regardless of how we feel the R is a niche market.

I what do you think, think they will bring it back for 2020 in the states? They always had a market in UK but the US has had a rocky past with R anything. I think this current run has been the longest with 3 model years? of the various R cars.
Sponsored

jasonjm

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Type-R
Country flag
So I was reading the other day that overall civic sales are down, way down, to the tune of 80k plus cars then the years before in the USA. And with almost every American manufacturer dropping cars in general due to the American idea that only a big gas guzzling SUV is the only car to own. Where do you think this leaves the R? With low R sales, not because of customer desire but limited numbers, and over all car and civic sales dropping, the desire for cars in general in the US dropping, dealer shennaigans and all the aggravation around buying an R. Do you think they will continue to import it here?
We love the R we think its the best car ever. but in reality its not a super popular car with the general public, sure they like it an all but most wouldn't buy it. your talking what 320 million people in the US alone and not counting all of NA that the car was released in and what maybe 10,12k Rs sold with some still sitting on lots. Regardless of how we feel the R is a niche market.

I what do you think, think they will bring it back for 2020 in the states? They always had a market in UK but the US has had a rocky past with R anything. I think this current run has been the longest with 3 model years? of the various R cars.
They will most likely have to really push hard to convince execs to do a Type-R come next model change. Execs might instead want to see more trims between the Si/Ex and Type-R as that investment would be less while also helping to increase market sales “in general”. This is their primary goal, a specific model like a type-R is unfortunately secondary to that concern.

That’s not to say that regardless they value the R’s segment and I hope that is the case.

There is something to be said about brand awareness, marquee longevity, and pricing control with a more niche (and long term vested) approach much like how Porsche is doing.

In my idealistic world, Honda would create a new brand to do these niche cars. And just charge for them what needs to be charged. If it’s only ever one model so be it, match production to meet. Obviously the cars under this scenario would cost a lot more, but at least we’d have cars...

Vincent@27WON

REDEFINE the Aftermarket
Elite Sponsor
First Name
Vincent
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.27won.com
Vehicle(s)
18 SI, 18 CTR, 22 Si, 23 Integra
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Personally, I can't see the CTR going anywhere. The car is too iconic to just get up and leave after a few years. They don't need to sell tons of them, just enough to keep people coming to the dealerships.

Ocelaris

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW 328xi
Country flag
That's why I bought one now. Just in case they don't bring it over in 2020.

Ctrnut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hyundai veracruz, 2017 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
I'm sure they will be selling them in 2020. Type R sales are fairly strong and you do get value for money as long as you pay MSRP. Hatches tend to sell well. My Local dealer cannot keep the Civic hatch on the lot.

PAX CTR

Just another CW CTR
First Name
Pax
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 FK8, '02 EP3, '89 EF7
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
From my personal experience, I found it quite difficult to find a dealer that will let this car go at MSRP. That is the only downside to the CTR selling. Otherwise, they sell pretty fast. The CTR is also not a limited production car, please correct me if I'm wrong, but I haven't heard Honda stating anywhere that this is a limited production car. Yes, they are a very rare breed and a very rare sighting, but all in all I feel that it'll be around for 2020.

Groundcontrol

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 PMM CTR
Country flag
From my experience talking to numerous car dealerships, most of the CTRs were sold before they were even made except for the dealerships that were asking 10k over MSRP. I was on a waiting list at my local dealership that was selling them at MSRP and I was number 6 on the list. One salesperson said they were having a hard time even getting SIs on the lot. I had to expand my search area and finally ended up getting the car the month before the 2019s started coming in and it was first come first serve, so I almost didn't get the car. The car was on the lot less than a day with several people asking if I was buying the car while I was doing the paperwork because they wanted to buy it themselves. I don't know how that compares to the rest of the country, but that is how it is around here.

jayevo23

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CW CTR
Country flag
Yea I’m pretty sure they’re going to continue to sell them. There isn’t any information out there that states otherwise. I don’t believe they’re limited at all. There’s plenty within proximity of me. The ones that aren’t selling are probably cause of mark up

spacemanspiff

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sonic Gray Civic Type R, 2006 Toyota Corolla S
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The ones that aren’t selling are probably cause of mark up
Yeah, if Honda has any problem with the CTR's sales numbers in the US, the first thing they need to look at is their dealerships' pricing policies.

frtorres87

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
There is a dealership by me that has two of them, and they have been there for months. I suspect they have added a premium to MSRP. My only question is if they aren't limited, why the number plate?

jayevo23

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CW CTR
Country flag
There is a dealership by me that has two of them, and they have been there for months. I suspect they have added a premium to MSRP. My only question is if they aren't limited, why the number plate?
Not sure seems to be the trend to these days. I would consider a car like the new Sti S209 to be limited as they're making on 200 of them. A car with a three year run is hardly limited in my opinion. Like someone said before, I can see the Type R being produced like the S2000, but maybe not quite as long.

OP
OP
Harlaquin

Harlaquin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Type R and a beater ford focus
Country flag
They are limited. World wide in 3 years we have only seen number plates just shy of 30k. In comparison they made roughly a million other civics world wide per year.

frtorres87

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
I thought so.The limited factor adds to the desirability of the Type R.

They are limited. World wide in 3 years we have only seen number plates just shy of 30k. In comparison they made roughly a million other civics world wide per year.

averagetrackdriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 S2000
Country flag
Does anyone have the CTR sales data for around the world? The rest of the world doesn't share our current addiction to SUVs, and gas prices are very high in comparison to ours. Personally, I think that the CTR isn't going anywhere. The fact that Honda chose their Swindon, UK, plant to manufacture the CTR was a smart move IMHO. If North American sales continue to drop, they'll just sell them elsewhere where the demand is higher. We would still get the CTR but in smaller numbers.

neveronline

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Current '19 CW CTR #23856 & '18 Accord 2.0T Previous - 2015 WRX, 1999 SI, '04 S2000, '08 Evo X, '10 SI sedan, '11 Fit Sport, '11 WRX, '13 ILX
Country flag
I don't see the CTR going anywhere. In addition when Ford eliminates most of its cars aside from the Focus and Mustang I think that will push more consumers to Honda and Toyota causing an increase to Civic and Accord sales. With the economy doing good and unemployment being low and gas prices relatively low too, it makes sense that people are buying SUVs and Trucks and spending more $$$; when the economic climate changes you will see the entry level cars sales increase (civics and corrollas etc.)

They don't measure the R's sales with Civic sales and the R is selling great and still the talk of the town, if R's start to sit on lots at MSRP and the talk about them and overall appeal dies down, that's the only way I think they will drop the, from production. I also don't see them stopping US sales or North American sales unless the end production all together.
Sponsored