2020 SI vs Accord manual ?

VarmintCong

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Focus ST Line X (sold 2020 Si sedan)
Country flag
First I agree about Chrysler dependability ... I am unsure about it but the Challenger v8 models do come in a manual, only the v6 models are auto only. I don't really think I want to own one but it would feel good and sound good. But it will not handle like an SI and it will not get near the mileage. ... SI is definitely king of the hill on mpg vs anything fun I want to possibly drive.
I don't trust any turbo really but especially the newer manufacturers that just started using them. VW has had them for a long time but I don't know anyone who has actually owned one and all I hear about them besides being fun to drive is that they cost a lot more to own in the long term ownership.
... I really don't know what I want to buy for several reasons and maybe until I am really sure, I will just keep talking and looking. Part of my problem is nothing other than the SI, VW GTI and the Challenger can be found within a hundred or more miles of me.
... I absolutely appreciate everyone's comments. I will try not to annoy you with my ramblings again.
Any dealer can order a car, or trade for one - or if you're buying used try Carmax, they can bring a car from any of their dealerships to you.

No need to limit yourself to just what's on the lot.
Sponsored

Annexed

First Name
Austen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si
Country flag
... I really don't know what I want to buy for several reasons and maybe until I am really sure, I will just keep talking and looking. Part of my problem is nothing other than the SI, VW GTI and the Challenger can be found within a hundred or more miles of me.
... I absolutely appreciate everyone's comments. I will try not to annoy you with my ramblings again.
Also don't forget that this is a civic forum, I would go to other forums like WRX or GTI. You may get different perspectives that may change your mind. Civic forums are going to biased just like WRX forums are biased to their WRX. I think your confused and unsure but that's awesome! Test drive all of them. Do some research, then make a pro's and con's of every vehicle. Good luck ;)

fc1.nick

First Name
Nicholas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 civic si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I personally work at a Honda dealership the accord sport 1.5 6 spd manual is nice to drive but, there’s no fun in it. It’s very comfortable to drive and I like the look of it I was light weight regretting getting the si over the sport 1.5 but at the same time, I love the si and how it drives the fun when In the mountains or driving a lot of twisty roads and also the resale for the Si is much higher than an accord. I’ve taken the accord on the freeway for about 2 miles and it didn’t have that much umpf in it as the si. I enjoy the accord for more comfortability but, it’s not as fun

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Odyssey, '94 300zx, 2001 F-150
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I'm with @coo1rim … drive a bunch and pick what you think is the best drivers car. I went for best bang for the buck family car. To me... family car = sedan, with enough from for 5. That's it.

I comparison shopped a Dodge Charger R/T against this Si... which isn't far off from the idea of checking out a Challenger. I would have loved to find a late model Acura TL SH-AWD in a manual or a Chevy SS in their last year in a manual but none were within 200 miles... and the couple Chevy dealers around weren't interested in getting a manual on their lot for their final orders with me not being totally committed to buying a car sight-unseen. There were a few others I tried, but ultimate bang-for-the-buck won to the Civic. The Charger was a decent car and, off the line, the "little" 5.7 did fine and it's RWD gave it a decent ~5 second 0-60, but it definitely didn't feel like it had oodles of power given it's weight. There wasn't a Scat close by and, by then... I was closing in on 2x Civic money on a new one. I really liked the SS on paper over even a Scat Pack Challenger and was bummed when they did their last 20% off MSRP I couldn't find one within an afternoon's drive to try.

As to turbos... I've had 5 turbo cars. Turbo's were getting water cooling and pretty reliable for decades now... so they don't have the oil coke up in them after you shut them off. Most stock turbos on modern cars outlast the cars themselves... and while some cars are a *giant* expensive PITA to replace turbos (my 300zx essentially needs an engine pull. You can technically do it with the engine in the car from the FSM...but folks with an engine hoist will pull it)… now you're in it for labor to take an engine in and out and you haven't talked turbo money yet. Oh... and there's 2 of them) ...the Civic is not hard. An OEM turbo is about a thousand bucks. A used OEM turbo a few hundred. You can swap it in an afternoon. You'd probably be in it for the same cost labor-wise as paying a place to do pads and rotors all around, assuming you supplied the turbo yourself. Cheaper than doing suspension all around from quotes I've seen people get.

stingray

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic LX-P Coupe, 2013 CR-V
Country flag
From what I've seen and read online, the Si will certainly feel more precise and sporty than the softer Accord. Even though they are both Hondas, it seems people generally enjoy shifting in the Si more than the Accord. I also agree not coming with a spare is a huge hassle, but I hear you can buy the temporary tire kit that canadian Si models come with online for $200-$300.
Spare kit is available from Bernardi, but none of the spare kits come with the tire. $105 for the Kendall tire that they will sell you. No cheaper anywhere else.

tacthecat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'12 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Don't let a spare tire be the litmus test for your decision - the last 5 cars we've owned have never had the spare (tire/donut) taken out, over 400,000 miles, 33+ years, and the only close call was a pothole (@ 70 mph) that damaged the tire and broke the wheel on our Si - but survived another 3 months and over a 1,000 more miles before replacing.

The 2020 Si is an excellent choice and you won't be disappointed.

cekIV

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Only get the Si if you enjoy grinning every time you get behind the wheel ;)

See if a dealership has a 2019 they want to get rid of. Then you don't have to deal with annoying lane assist or whatever crap they added for 2020.​

dk127itr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si
Country flag
I can expertly reply to this, I have a 2019 Accord Sport 2.0T manual and a 2020 Si Sedan.

The Accord is a big car. Outside and in. The back seat is huge. We have a toddler, and usually one of us sits in the back. Its comfortable on long trips and the leg room is insane. I've never sat in a roomier rear seat.

But, its a big car, its heavier. You can feel the weight, especially since the suspension is not tuned to take corners, but more for comfort. I like my small, light, nimble cars. I like the exterior of the Accord. I hate the fake vents on the Si. But I've learned to live with it.

Interior wise, I prefer the Accord. The dash layout, vents, steering wheel controls, touch points, and infotainment. The infotainment in the Accord is bigger, higher quality screen, and fast and responsive. The touch points and buttons feel more premium on the Accord, and I like the steering wheel buttons on the Accord better. I don't like the split layout of the dash on the Civic, I prefer the Accord with an analog tach and speedo. On the Accord, you also have actual blind spot monitoring instead of the lane watch, and I feel the lane watch lags quite a bit on the Civic.

The positives the Civic has over the Accord Interior: However, the seats on the Si are more supportive and sport oriented. If you're a bigger person, the side bolsters will probably wear down faster. The seat material on the Accord is one thing I am a little worried about, if something snags the material I wonder if it will "run". The Accord also does not have that deep well cup holder the Civic has. If you have a large bottle with a straw, your arm will hit it.

The good stuff, how both drive.
Straight line: The Accord is a beast. Its fast, and it pulls hard. I have no clue why it does not have a LSD, it really needs one if you stomp on the throttle out of a turn. In a straight line, it takes off. But if its wet, you will spin the wheels. I think the Accord is faster than the Si. When your warranty is out, you can swap in a CTR LSD, do a stage 1 or 2 tune, and man you will fly in the Accord.
The Si is perfectly fine in my opinion on how it puts power down. Its decently quick, it pulls hard. Coming out of turns it puts the power down very well and pulls you through like a car with a LSD should.
But when you're shifting, the Civic's shifter take it by a mile. The Accord's shifter is good, but it lacks a resistance and precision feel. The Si is crisp and tight. I prefer shifting the Si. However, I prefer the Accord's clutch. It has resistance and some feel to it, the Civic clutch is way too light. The Si is easier to drive in traffic though, since the clutch is so light.

On both: The rev hang. Oh man... The rev hang... Its so bad.

Ride: The Accord rides fine for daily use. I think for its size it handles well, but you push it, and it is not like a Civic. The suspension is just not tuned for spirited cornering. The Si handles as well as you would expect a Si should. In sport mode, the steering firms up a lot, the suspension firms up, and you can start tossing it into corners and it takes them well. It has a tight, razor feeling to it when you corner, but its not as harsh as a CTR. Compared to an ITR, its also not as raw, but I think the Si can take corners faster and more nimbler than an ITR. It is 20 years newer though... I have all season tires on my Si also.

In short, choosing between the 2, I'd pick the Si. Its more fun to drive, it gets better mileage, it puts power down better. Its also cheaper. Plus with the virus right now, I have to figure you can find a deal with sales most likely starting to lag. If you don't need the large rear seat, theres no overwhelming reason to get the Accord.

Last edited:
OP
OP
MorrisGray

MorrisGray

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Mazda3 5sp manual, 2012 Genesis sedan
Country flag
Spare kit is available from Bernardi, but none of the spare kits come with the tire. $105 for the Kendall tire that they will sell you. No cheaper anywhere else.
Are you talking Bernardiparts.com ? How do you find the kit? I searched for spare tire but no results.

dk127itr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si
Country flag
I wasn't clear on the dash, I meant instrument cluster. I'm not a fan of how its broken into 1/3rds with the temp, fuel, and tach as main gauges and the digital speedo. I like the accord instrument panel better.
Sponsored