First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic si sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Is anybody having any issues with the paint on the 2020 civics? Mine is so thin I have like 6 chips in it already and one im waiting on the dealership to fix being as it was there when i got the car. It had 13 miles on the clock when I took it home. I haven't knicked or dinged or touched anything. Purely from daily driving Jersey roads/weather.

I have a 2020 Civic Si Sedan in white orchid pearl.

Got it mid October and have about 8k miles on it now.
Sponsored

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Welcome to the 10th gen Civic. Great car overall. Thin, soft paint. Thin sheet metal. I am a detailing fanatic and no car I've owned has accumulated chips as easily as this one.

TheRedGlacier

First Name
Hunter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si, 1994 Trans Am, 1963 Corvette
Country flag
Welcome! Good choice of color. Just so you know, if you attempt to purchase a paint pen, the color of your car is Platinum White, not White Orchid (They stopped using that color for the 2019 model year). But the paint is very thin and soft on our cars, so unfortunately you got to expect chips unless you wrap the hood in paint protection vinyl. I keep my distance on the highway, and got two chips to the primer, and two down to the e-coat on my 19... 5200 miles.

OP
OP
Jhall.IV

Jhall.IV

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic si sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Welcome! Good choice of color. Just so you know, if you attempt to purchase a paint pen, the color of your car is Platinum White, not White Orchid (They stopped using that color for the 2019 model year). But the paint is very thin and soft on our cars, so unfortunately you got to expect chips unless you wrap the hood in paint protection vinyl. I keep my distance on the highway, and got two chips to the primer, and two down to the e-coat on my 19... 5200 miles.
Thank you for the correction, I try to keep my distance too but there's not much your roads are all falling apart and under construction

Speechless21

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 civic si
Country flag
Anybody have a recommendation on where I can purchase a paint correction kit for rock chips?

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase

Azjose86

First Name
Jose
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic SI
Country flag
This was probably the biggest downside to the car. Honda really ruined a nice car by cheaping out on paint. My 2018 with 13k looks like I drive behind lifted trucks for fun. In addition, I've never had cars get paint chips on the doors. How the heck does that even happen?

Honestly, I can't wait to get rid of this car. Quality is poor and I'd be surprised if this car makes it out of the factory warranty without major issues

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
This was probably the biggest downside to the car. Honda really ruined a nice car by cheaping out on paint. My 2018 with 13k looks like I drive behind lifted trucks for fun. In addition, I've never had cars get paint chips on the doors. How the heck does that even happen?

Honestly, I can't wait to get rid of this car. Quality is poor and I'd be surprised if this car makes it out of the factory warranty without major issues
I agree with the paint. In my 40+ years of owning cars, this car has the softest paint by far. But, I still have faith that, mechanically, it will last a very long time.

MaTtKs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Got a couple small chips here as well and I’ve barely driven mine. Will be getting PPF and Ceramic Coating in a week or so for that reason along with just trying to protect the black as much as possible.

TheRedGlacier

First Name
Hunter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si, 1994 Trans Am, 1963 Corvette
Country flag
Bear in mind, there is a LOT to rock chips. More than most consider. What I mean by this, is that any paint WILL chip if a dense object is propelled at it at velocity. It doesn't matter if your paint is thick or thin, soft or hard- It WILL chip, but certain things determine the severity, and there are several thought processes with this.

One perspective is that soft paint, on thin sheet metal will chip less frequently, or less severely than thick and hard paint,as the material absorbs some of the "shock" of the impact.

With that is that thick, hard paint tends to be more brittle. In having owned an Audi A4, and having detailed plenty of VW cars with mileage on them, the front becomes so chipped up that there winds up being more chips than paint.

I'd rather have paint as soft as our cars, but thicker, if it were offered on these, as you'd have a higher chance for less penetration depth, and yet reap the "benefits" of soft paint, like not needing a rotary buffer to remove swirls.

(I apologize for poor word choice. I'm in school right now, so I can reword it later, if anyone needs me to.)
Sponsored