2020 Si Clutch Judder?

therealdede

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Si Sedan, Modern Steel Metallic
Country flag
Has anyone with a 2020 Si, experienced a judder when trying to engage below 1k RPM? car only has 2800 on it, seems like it has done it from day 1. Honda has a request for visit out for my car with this condition, i was wondering if anyone else has this issue. or do i just suck at driving manual? it doesnt do it at all if you set off at or above 1k, but it doesnt do it all the time if you set off below 1k either. it's seemingly random.

Sponsored

fenix-silver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Si
Country flag
Seems normal to me. Need more RPMs.

SDAlexander8

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17’ Si FC3, 17’ Accord 2dr V6 6MT, 22’ RL RTL-E
Country flag
Yeah try 1500-1700 rpm when you take off. Doesn’t lug and the engagement is much smoother.

the Si is meant to live at a higher rpm than the CVT. If you are below 2000-2500 when you are cruising around, that’s too low.

Deleted User 1886347

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Has anyone with a 2020 Si, experienced a judder when trying to engage below 1k RPM? car only has 2800 on it, seems like it has done it from day 1. Honda has a request for visit out for my car with this condition, i was wondering if anyone else has this issue. or do i just suck at driving manual? it doesnt do it at all if you set off at or above 1k, but it doesnt do it all the time if you set off below 1k either. it's seemingly random.
Nah, you suck at manual.

Just kidding. On a serious note, this is Normal behaviour for a manual car. If you’re shuddering like that and the clutch is grabbing at or below 1k RPM as I seen in your first video, you need more gas at take off. No question that there’s nothing wrong with your car.

When you say it’s random though, what operating temp are you at when it doesn’t do it? If you’re doing it when the engines cold, it won’t do it as much since the RPM idle is higher until the engine is at complete operating temp, theoretically speaking you wouldn’t need as much gas and may explain why it doesn’t happen all the time.
Example: if it’s cold outside and I do a cold start, my RPM is between 1.5-2k. I put it in first and slowly release the clutch, I can take off without using any gas at all. But if I try the same at operating temp, my car will stall, or it’ll shudder like your video if I don’t give enough gas.

Seriously though, it’s your right foot. Just give it some extra gas and you’ll be fine :)

OP
OP

therealdede

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I know it does take off way smoother above 1k, it how I usually drive. it’s just sometimes I don’t give it enough gas eg. when on a hill or something and the hill assist is still holding me, sometimes it drops down low enough and makes that noise.
Nah, you suck at manual.

Just kidding. On a serious note, this is Normal behaviour for a manual car. If you’re shuddering like that and the clutch is grabbing at or below 1k RPM as I seen in your first video, you need more gas at take off. No question that there’s nothing wrong with your car.

When you say it’s random though, what operating temp are you at when it doesn’t do it? If you’re doing it when the engines cold, it won’t do it as much since the RPM idle is higher until the engine is at complete operating temp, theoretically speaking you wouldn’t need as much gas and may explain why it doesn’t happen all the time.
Example: if it’s cold outside and I do a cold start, my RPM is between 1.5-2k. I put it in first and slowly release the clutch, I can take off without using any gas at all. But if I try the same at operating temp, my car will stall, or it’ll shudder like your video if I don’t give enough gas.

Seriously though, it’s your right foot. Just give it some extra gas and you’ll be fine :)

Deleted User 1886347

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I know it does take off way smoother above 1k, it how I usually drive. it’s just sometimes I don’t give it enough gas eg. when on a hill or something and the hill assist is still holding me, sometimes it drops down low enough and makes that noise.
That’s actually fairly normal. I get that sometimes when I don’t give more gas on an uphill launch, then it feels like I’m going to stall.
I can assure you it’s not a mechanical issue :) it’s just something that will take practice with your right foot. All my friends who own manuals do it once in a while as well!

REBELXSi

Señor Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Si coupe RIP, '20 CRV EX-L Hybrid
Country flag
Yeah try 1500-1700 rpm when you take off. Doesn’t lug and the engagement is much smoother.
If you need to take off at 1500-1700, something is wrong.

2020CivicSI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic SI
Country flag
Seems normal to me, just give it a little more gas, and feather the clutch. Also these cars have hill start assist, you just need to engage it by hitting the brake hold button. It makes it way easier to start uphill.

edit: I was wrong about the hill start, you don't need to click the brake hold button for it to be on.

Last edited:
OP
OP

therealdede

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Seems normal to me, just give it a little more gas, and feather the clutch. Also these cars have hill start assist, you just need to engage it by hitting the brake hold button. It makes it way easier to start uphill.
I was talking about the automatic brake hold that happens when taking your foot off the brake when trying to start on a hill.

LURK-R

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Hatch
Country flag
Are all of these clutch related issues 1.5l specific? I can release the clutch pedal and feel the engagement, then gas out of just about any normal day to day situation. I suck at explaining these things, but what I'm getting at is that I can pretty much drive from idle without having to over rev or anything like that.

No formal training. I taught myself how to drive in a M/T 91 Toyota Pickup.

Note: I'm not sure that I drive well, but it's pretty smooth and my passengers don't complain HAHA

fenix-silver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Si
Country flag
Hill hold is active anytime the car is on an incline above a certain percentage. The brake hold doesn't need to be turned on for hill hold to kick in.

FC3L15B7

I'm a machine.
First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic 2 Door Coupe Si / 1993 Chrysler Intrepid 3.5L
Country flag

Yeah, that's low man. I engage 1st at no less than 1200 if the engine is at operating temp and usually 1500 around town to get a better start out of the hole to appease the impatient behind me. If at any time I happen to engage the clutch at a really low RPM, like I'm not really paying attention (haha yah), it does that too, but I don't feel it in the clutch. It's the vibration from the engine from stuttering (close to stalling) and usually I can hear it on mine throughout the entire exhaust.

Oddwayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19’ Si coupe & 99 ej6
Country flag
That noise is cause the motor wants to stall. You are basically taking offfup hill at idle lol. I take it you are somewhat new to driving stick as in you haven’t been doing it more than 5 years or so?

MutatedMango

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Civic Si FC3
Country flag
You don't need brake hold on for hill start assist
Sponsored