2020 Nissan Sentra

Zeffy94

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mazda3 GT Hatch 6AT, 2018 Honda Civic Type R (traded in)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Has anyone seen this? Nissan unveiled the 2020 Sentra yesterday at the LA Auto Show and hot damn, the exterior looks really good. Does the Civic have more competition coming?

The interior in higher trims looks almost luxury grade with some of the material choices they've used.

The only thing I think may be a misstep is the engine output is lower than the base 2.0 in the LX trim. That and you can only pair it with a CVT.

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a29833937/2020-nissan-sentra-photos-info/

Honda Civic 10th gen 2020 Nissan Sentra 2020-nissan-sentra-1-101-1574282597
Sponsored

saz468

First Name
Stan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 civic EX Aegean blue metallic
Country flag
Awesome looking car it’s a lot different than this
My brother in law had one

Honda Civic 10th gen 2020 Nissan Sentra B0A663A8-1DEE-45B7-AA79-D0B921FC5130

PhilF

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 CRV EX-L Platinum White Pearl/Ivory, 2020 CRV EX-L Crystal Black Pearl/Grey
Country flag
That front end is awesome
I dunno, kinda looks like it's trying to be a Lexus, little bit of that "Darth Vader" thing.

redstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic EX-T, 2019 CR-V EX-L
Country flag
I don't care for black roof, but I like the styling overall inside and out on the Sentra. Their CVT's have been terrible in the past so hopefully the new one is more reliable. The Civic is such a great car, all the other manufacturers have had to step up and I think they have except for Toyota. That new Corolla sedan is boring and ugly (the hatch isn't as bad though and I am not really a fan of any hatch) and I can't believe they are still making the lower models with that ancient 1.8l. That being said the next gen Civic has big shoes to fill for sure.

jred721

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Accord Sport
Country flag
The current sentra has SR turbo and NISMO trims available that make comparable if not more power than the base 1.5 turbo. I would imagine they'll release a SR turbo version in the near future. But yeah, it's a shame the base engine doesn't even have comparable power to the civic's 2.0 liter. The exterior and interior look damn good though. But its a Nissan CVT so I don't have high hopes for reliability. But maybe this one is different, we'll see.

OP
OP
Zeffy94

Zeffy94

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The current sentra has SR turbo and NISMO trims available that make comparable if not more power than the base 1.5 turbo. I would imagine they'll release a SR turbo version in the near future. But yeah, it's a shame the base engine doesn't even have comparable power to the civic's 2.0 liter. The exterior and interior look damn good though. But its a Nissan CVT so I don't have high hopes for reliability. But maybe this one is different, we'll see.
Supposedly these newer ones are far more reliable than the older ones. Only time will tell.

saz468

First Name
Stan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 civic EX Aegean blue metallic
Country flag
It funny how these compact cars are looking like their larger counterpart
Civic- accord . Elantra - sonata. Sentra - maxima Not saying it’s bad just making a point

Drake

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Si
Country flag
The looks are greatly improved. If they come out with a manual NISMO trim I may give it a second look :drive:

OP
OP
Zeffy94

Zeffy94

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The looks are greatly improved. If they come out with a manual NISMO trim I may give it a second look :drive:
Yeah, if Nissan makes a NISMO trim with maybe the Altima's VC-turbo engine and a stick that would definitely be worth looking into. The car looks much improved in both the exterior and interior.

I'm a fan of all of Nissan's new car designs - Sentra, Altima and Maxima. Possibly signs of life back there? They had a huge profit freefall so going back to their bread and butter cars might help spur them for more of the enthusiast oriented ones later on.

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Odyssey, '94 300zx, 2001 F-150
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Not too bad... but I'd agree that it looks like a baby Lexus to me. It's the best looking Sentra in over 15 years though... since they had those Spec Vs. I test drove one back in '02 or '03. Fun car to thrash and a good amount of torque for the time from the 'big' NA 2.5. Kind of like a much better Z24 Cavalier... with a decent manual... though I remember the clutch being a little pickup truck-y. It's been a long time... but I remember the car not having good traction and skittering around under throttle at low speeds. I didn't buy it... but I thought it was a good showing and a few years later when I drove a 2007(?) Sentra with a 2.0 and a CVT... and the other than just powertrain but fit and feel as well... I thought they'd really messed up. It felt like a drastically different car to appeal to the same folks who'd get a Corolla.

PhilF

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 CRV EX-L Platinum White Pearl/Ivory, 2020 CRV EX-L Crystal Black Pearl/Grey
Country flag
It funny how these compact cars are looking like their larger counterpart
Civic- accord . Elantra - sonata. Sentra - maxima Not saying it’s bad just making a point
They really need to either design a new one or pay royalties to a manufacturer that has a decent CVT, obviously the one they're doing in-house isn't doing the job.
Sponsored