Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic 2 Door Coupe Si / 1993 Chrysler Intrepid 3.5L
Country flag
14.2 sec for a 205hp car... don’t think so
I admit 14.2 is a bit overzealous, but that's what the calculation came to by how many more feet the 2020 should cover by the end of the quarter mile. ;) We will see what we get, eventually.
Sponsored

Maroco

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Honda civic lx 2020 civic si
Country flag
How are you guys getting such bad highway mpg?? I did a 140 mile drive yesterday, all highway, and got 39mpg. I did quite abit of passing too. Im honestly perplexed

FC3L15B7

I'm a machine.
First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic 2 Door Coupe Si / 1993 Chrysler Intrepid 3.5L
Country flag
I've watched / read a ton of reviews before buying the car. I think the most negative-leaning reviews (e.g. Redline) were lamenting that Honda had gone away from high-revving VTEC towards the turbo engine, losing something special along the way. Three years later, I think that's less of an issue, and reviewers are just looking at how good the car is, rather than what it was.
I'm a long-time fan of VTEC, but those days are gone. Not completely, but with a turbocharger on a sub-2.0L engine, it's stuffing air down its gullet, so it doesn't make sense to use multiple cam profiles. The cams using Variable Cam Timing is all that is necessary to efficiently modify the valve timing, as once the intake valve opens, air is being forced in - you don't need to modify the lift and duration to increase the amount of air it can receive. In contrast, the exhaust pressure is efficiently relieved without modifying lift and duration on the exhaust valves.

As for the Type-R, it has VTEC on the exhaust cam, and the reason is, the air pressure is maybe 2.5x more than the intake pressure, so in order to evacuate the exhaust gases at a higher rate for that engine displacement, it increases the efficiency of the exhaust. And that VTEC isn't what you're thinking. It's not the traditional VTEC, but something more like the Accord V6 i-VTEC.

Now to the 6500 RPM rev limit on the 1.5 (7000 on the 2.0) - you don't need a higher RPM. When you're using VTEC with a naturally aspirated engine, you need higher revs to make the most of the VTEC cam profile, and since there is no need for that, there is no need to rev it higher.

In summary, adding a traditional VTEC valvetrain to a turbocharged engine is over-complicating and increasing the cost with no significant value to its performance. VTEC delete.

Doublestack00

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Boost Blue Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I'm wondering if the older 2019 and older will be faster in the 1/4 when turned due to shifting later.

maggs_10thgen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Coupe Old whips: 2005 RSX Type S, 2015 Civic Si Coupe, 1998 Integra GSR Green, 1998 Integra GSR Red
Country flag
I'm wondering if the older 2019 and older will be faster in the 1/4 when turned due to shifting later.
Back in the day people would use an LS tranny for longer gears on boosted B series. I'd think the longer gears work better with higher boost.

mjh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Si 2020 Sedan; Previously VW Jetta SEL 2016 (auto); Civic EX Sedan 2009 (manual); Civic EX Coupe 2002 (manual)
Country flag
Is anyone else surprised that Car and Driver didn't participate in this first wave of refresh reviews? Given their long-term love of the Si, I was fully expecting to see an updated road test from them by now.

Maroco

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Back in the day people would use an LS tranny for longer gears on boosted B series. I'd think the longer gears work better with higher boost.
That and people hated being at 4k at 65mph on the highway with the b tranny. They do that even without boosting them. Just a better daily option

tacthecat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'12 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Be sure to read the owners manual (p442) break-in for brakes is 200 miles, engine is 600 - been that for many years.
If the CTR doesn't get Honda Sensing, our next vehicle will be a 2020- Si sedan.

EstiloinAction

First Name
Estilo
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Si 2020, BMW 528i 2000
Country flag
2020 Si Coupe here. 2 weeks in and I'm getting 35mpg on average. I drive about 100miles daily on 91 Octane. I bought the car at 7miles and I just reached 1087 yesterday.

EdwarDallas

First Name
Edward
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si
Country flag
2020 Sedan here. I commute 40 miles a day, 3/4 highway and have been averaging around 27 mpg. I am still on the break-in oil, so that may be why I don't have higher MPG, plus it is hard to stay below 75MPH... I also have TSP Stage 1 and K-tuner, both running beta versions for my 2020 ECU.

Maroco

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
2020 Sedan here. I commute 40 miles a day, 3/4 highway and have been averaging around 27 mpg. I am still on the break-in oil, so that may be why I don't have higher MPG, plus it is hard to stay below 75MPH... I also have TSP Stage 1 and K-tuner, both running beta versions for my 2020 ECU.
I broke 1400 miles recently and am just now starting to break into the 40mpg. I do the same 35 miles highway drive every morning and for the first 700 miles on this car, i couldn't break 28mpg. It seems this engine really loosens up over time.