2020 civic si - is tune the only way to delete rev hang?

Crakzor

First Name
Mathanael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Chevy Cruze, 2020 Civic Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
ive had this car for 3 months. Half the time it jerks 1st to 2nd. I hate holding clutch to let revs fall for smooth shifts. Is tune the only way to delete rev hang? I dont want to tune anything. Im not racing. I just want to delete rev hang

Edit: I ordered the ktuner v1.2 we’ll see how it goes
Edit2: got the v1.2 tuner w/ dual factorynormal/19.5 sport map goin. So far so good. RPM indeed drop faster. Not nearly as fast as my old stick but its good. I just need to get used to it again now.

edit3 4/25/20: hey yall im actually using tsp stage 1 map 1 w/ rev hang on. I've gotten used to it and with this tune everything is just smoother.
Sponsored

Last edited:

repeet

Threads
Reaction score
Website
jesus7feasts.fyi
Vehicle(s)
'23 BRZ
Country flag
Yes, but.

Tuning only gets rid of half of it. A lighter flywheel gets rid of the rest.

RP2000R

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Porsche GT4, 20 Civic Si, 15 Lexus IS350 RWD
Country flag
My 20 Si seems to have less hang and easier to rev match shift then my 18 Si but both are lacking. I am in same boat don’t care about a tune/hp increase but want a better driving experience. May have to go K Tuner and run lowest map and see if it helps.

koriw1.5

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic SI Coupe
Country flag
Are lighter flywheels available in the aftermarket by chance?

DRuby

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Si, 2013 CR-V
Country flag
Is there data or spec info on a lighter flywheel with respect to rev hang?

How much of the rotating mass does the flywheel represent when considering the total mass of crankshaft, pistons and the rest of the engine's moving parts?

I think I'd like more info before going down the lighter flywheel path.

Does anyone sell a tune/module for just the rev hang delete? That might make someone a few bucks and a lot of drivers much happier?

Add in removing the clutch delay valve and that would be something worth buying.

Deleted User 1886347

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Not saying rev hang doesn’t exist, but part of it is the driver too.

I’ve had my car for just over 3 months too and this is my first manual car in over 6 years. I’m still not 100% with my 1-2 shifts and downshifting. But I’m a hell of a lot better than I was 2 months ago. The rev hang doesn’t even phase me anymore and I’ve yet to do any tuning.

A KTuner and lighter flywheel aren’t going to fix your problem in the long haul. Practice and timing are what’s going to fix it.

There’s many threads on this forum that point to the same conclusion as well.

MaxPower

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si sedan ABM, 2017 CR-V EX, formerly 2005 Saab 9-2x, 1986 Prelude Si
Country flag
But I wouldn’t buy it just to delete rev hang. But to each their own :)
Oh, no, I certainly wouldn't buy it for that reason alone. I'd buy it for the performance upgrades, and the rev hang delete would just be a corollary benefit. I'm on the fence as it is, but mostly because my car is so new...I don't really want to put the warranty at risk quite this early. I'm 99% certain I'll tune one of these days. Eventually.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Tuning is by far the best bang for the performance buck, and if done right, issue free.

There are so many mild tweaks you can make beyond removing the rev hang (throttle response, earlier spool, part throttle turbo responsiveness, ramp rate etc.) that take the factory tune and elevate it to new levels of driveability. It's not just about increasing boost. Once you tune you realize how ultra conservative the factory tune is.

Plus, with KTuner's on the fly map switching you have 3 completely different tunes available with a couple button presses.

Last edited:

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Polestar 2, 2010 Lexus IS 350 Sport
Country flag
Oh, no, I certainly wouldn't buy it for that reason alone. I'd buy it for the performance upgrades, and the rev hang delete would just be a corollary benefit. I'm on the fence as it is, but mostly because my car is so new...I don't really want to put the warranty at risk quite this early. I'm 99% certain I'll tune one of these days. Eventually.
When you do decide to tune (Ktuner basemaps, TSP Stage 1 etc), I would just leave rev hang alone. A lot of drivers are irritated by it, but once you get past it, it does not have any effect on shifting. Think about this...when you are accelerating and let off the gas, your engine creates a vacuum that sucks any unburnt fuel and oil into the exhaust. Rev hang eliminates this from happening by "holding" the revs for a few seconds longer, eliminating excess unburnt fuel and oil from being sucked out the exhaust. One side effect of this is less carbon buildup, or so that is the theory at least. For sure you get cleaner emissions.

Anyway, I am not against anyone disabling rev hang, but if someone is doing it because they believe it is affecting shifting, it does not, and once you get used to it its not even a bother anymore, at least that was my case

Last edited:
OP
OP
Crakzor

Crakzor

First Name
Mathanael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
imo, the post you replied to didn't assert that rev hang doesn't exist. The way I interpreted it, @AegeanT was merely stating that he has learned to live with it, adjusting his shifting technique to minimize the impact of rev hang. It's still there, but less noticeable to him. I've read similar sentiments from other folks on this site.

As a brand new 10th gen owner, I find the rev hang to be obvious and annoying. Not so much that I regret the purchase, but it's definitely bothersome. However, I can imagine that after a couple months of driving the car, I'll learn to manage it better. At least, I hope so. If I still find it annoying in a few months, then I'll go the KTuner route too.
ya I’m months in it already. I’ve learned to deal with it but now I’m done with it. I got the ktuner today gonna load up the factory normal w/ rev hang delete

DRuby

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Si, 2013 CR-V
Country flag
Hello folks,

I my opinion, the current tone and direction of this discussion is not a good way to provide information or help to form a consensus on this question.

Ad hominem comments should have no place here.

Thank you for considering this post.

MaxPower

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si sedan ABM, 2017 CR-V EX, formerly 2005 Saab 9-2x, 1986 Prelude Si
Country flag
Hello folks,

I my opinion, the current tone and direction of this discussion is not a good way to provide information or help to form a consensus on this question.

Generally speaking - agreed, but to be fair, the entire thread has been reasonably on topic aside from a single poster's commentary. There's been some good information in the thread...if you can tune out the noise.

zerointerrupt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Si Coupe
Country flag
Hello folks,

I see no issue with this thread, aside from the post from the dude drunk on redbulls. It was actually pretty informative for me. If you think this one is rough i can dig up some threads where things escalated quickly.

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Polestar 2, 2010 Lexus IS 350 Sport
Country flag
wth? i want whatever your smoking kid... Absolutely NONE of it is driver... I've been driving standard since i GOT my license bruh. That was 24 YEARS AGO. I NEVER IN MY LIFE had a car with so much rev hang. Im basically a GOD and can drive standard blind with no hands and 1 foot. Seriously delete your comment... This is 110% all rev hang via the vehicle. Your smoking crack if you think those rpms dont hang for 5 seconds between each shift. OR you've never driven a normal car with a standard transmission or transaxle. I'm gonna school you real quick. When you depress a clutch all the way. THE nanosecond the clutch disengages those revs are supposed to drop IMMEDIATELY not chill at 3800rpm for a couple hours while your sitting in the next gear waiting for the sun to set... sorry if i seem a little harsh. But go drive any other car in this world that isnt a honda. Because any other car in this world DOESNT have a 30 second delay between shifts for the revs to fall back down...
I need whatever energy drink your drinking!

OP
OP
Crakzor

Crakzor

First Name
Mathanael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
got the v1.2 tuner w/ dual factorynormal/19.5 sport map goin. So far so good. RPM indeed drop faster. Not nearly as fast as my old stick but its good. I just need to get used to it again now.
Sponsored