tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
But why is that though? Other Civic hatches have 3 seats in the rear, so it can't be because the chassis can't support the extra weight. I'm guessing that "limit" is there for optimal performance? But that doesn't make sense either, since some markets include 3 rear seats in the CTR.
The other Civic Hatchbacks have a weight capacity of 850 lbs so it can support 5 people, the CTR has a capacity of 680 lbs so it can only do 4 people. The limit isn't in the chassis. If I were to guess it would either be the tires or the suspension.
Sponsored

s2kdriver80

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MY21 FK8 Honda Civic Type R, MY03 AP1 Honda S2000
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Still puzzled though, as you would think the CTR's tires or suspension would be designed to take more stresses and loads from hard cornering and braking than the lesser models.

I would still take the cushion since it could be used as a seat in a pinch. :)

I'm 150, which leaves 530 lbs. Even if I were heavier, 4 average women wouldn't exceed the CTR's capacity. Even 2 relatively skinny men and 2 women would be within the limit. If some of them are children, then there's even more breathing room.

Last edited:

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
Still puzzled though, as you would think the CTR's tires or suspension would be designed to take more stresses and loads from hard cornering and braking than the lesser models.

I would still take the cushion since it could be used as a seat in a pinch. :)

I'm 150, which leaves 530 lbs. Even if I were heavier, 4 average women wouldn't exceed the CTR's capacity. Even 2 relatively skinny men and 2 women would be within the limit. If some of them are children, then there's even more breathing room.
Keep in mind that this information comes from the owners manual, it's from Honda's own mouth. Also keep in mind that the weight capacity includes passengers and luggage.

I would put the tires as a major bottleneck between the cars. The tires are 245/30 series tires, so you get about 2.8" of tire wall. The Sport gets 3.7", EX(-L) gets 4.2", and LX gets 4.6" of tirewall since they're sitting on 18, 17, an 16" rims, respectively. That's 32, 50, and 64% more tire wall. This allows the tire to absorb more of the stressors that the car will undergo.

If the suspension on the CTR doesn't compress as much as the other Hatchback variants I could also see this creating a limiting factor for the weight capacity of the Type R as well. Though we'd never really know since Honda probably wouldn't tell you if you asked anyways.

Edit: the other thing to keep in mind is that it's possible that Honda could be taking into consideration that the car could be used under load in a more general circumstance. If the car is expected to be under load, it would be a good precaution to avoid heavy weight loads.

Last edited:

CivilciviC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
I must be one of the only ones who think the CTR in blue looks awful. Having it in superman colors is the epitome of bad taste.

FriscoBrah

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Championship White Civic Type R
Country flag
I think it’s a bad choice as well but as an R purist I hope it’s exclusive to the R only like Championship White and Phoenix Yellow.

OP
OP
98-0425

98-0425

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Civic Type-R #12307, 98 Integra Type-R #0425, 07 Pilot EX-L, 17 Pilot Elite
Country flag
I think it’s a bad choice as well but as an R purist I hope it’s exclusive to the R only like Championship White and Phoenix Yellow.
Historically, Phoenix Yellow (aka Sunlight Yellow) wasn't exclusively to the Type R as it was seen on the UK Civic VTi Jordan EK4.

FriscoBrah

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Championship White Civic Type R
Country flag
Historically, Phoenix Yellow (aka Sunlight Yellow) wasn't exclusively to the Type R as it was seen on the UK Civic VTi Jordan EK4.
Thank you. I wasn’t aware of that.

Gansan

First Name
Glen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 NSX, 2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
Keep in mind that this information comes from the owners manual, it's from Honda's own mouth. Also keep in mind that the weight capacity includes passengers and luggage.

I would put the tires as a major bottleneck between the cars. The tires are 245/30 series tires, so you get about 2.8" of tire wall. The Sport gets 3.7", EX(-L) gets 4.2", and LX gets 4.6" of tirewall since they're sitting on 18, 17, an 16" rims, respectively. That's 32, 50, and 64% more tire wall. This allows the tire to absorb more of the stressors that the car will undergo.

If the suspension on the CTR doesn't compress as much as the other Hatchback variants I could also see this creating a limiting factor for the weight capacity of the Type R as well. Though we'd never really know since Honda probably wouldn't tell you if you asked anyways.

Edit: the other thing to keep in mind is that it's possible that Honda could be taking into consideration that the car could be used under load in a more general circumstance. If the car is expected to be under load, it would be a good precaution to avoid heavy weight loads.
Looking up the load ratings of the OEM tires,

Civic Type R: SportContact 6 245/30ZR20 90Y--1323 lbs.
Civic Hatchback Sport Touring: ContiproContact 235/40R18 91W-- 1356 lbs.

The 33 lbs. difference is load per tire (132 lbs total difference load for four wheels) could have just put it over the line in terms of allowing one more passenger or not. It could also have been a compromise between choosing a tire they liked for performance reasons versus a different tire that had higher load capacity but lower performance. They also understand that most potential buyers will not let a center back seat sway them in buying the car or not. Usually CTR customers have researched the car and know what they want.

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
Looking up the load ratings of the OEM tires,

Civic Type R: SportContact 6 245/30ZR20 90Y--1323 lbs.
Civic Hatchback Sport Touring: ContiproContact 235/40R18 91W-- 1356 lbs.

The 33 lbs. difference is load per tire (132 lbs total difference load for four wheels) could have just put it over the line in terms of allowing one more passenger or not. It could also have been a compromise between choosing a tire they liked for performance reasons versus a different tire that had higher load capacity but lower performance. They also understand that most potential buyers will not let a center back seat sway them in buying the car or not. Usually CTR customers have researched the car and know what they want.
If you look at the numbers that Honda gives for load ratings, they assume 170 lbs per passenger (850 / 5 = 170, 680 / 4 = 170). 132 is pretty close to 170. Softer suspension on the Hatchback also means that it will put less stress on the tires than the Type R would as well, especially when you get to choppier roads. So the numbers make sense I guess...

I was always in the camp hoping that the CTR could handle more load than what Honda says it can because I really could use that center seat at times.

WhatThePuck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Acura Rsx (sold), '19 CW CTR 23909
Country flag
I must be one of the only ones who think the CTR in blue looks awful. Having it in superman colors is the epitome of bad taste.
I like the Boosted blue better but the red/blue really clashes for me. Now if they did do the Phoenix I might consider it since they are both warm colors. When trying to decide initially which color I wanted I kept going back to CW. I wouldn't say it is in bad taste, perhaps more people would like it if the color combo wasn't associated with Superman, ya know? Same with sports, actually damn near anything. I feel that the color combo in many situations are what make you remember what it is linked to. Having said I'd consider the Phx if they had it; the yellow+red color combo would be too McDonalds for me :D

tylermmorton

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type R #1362
Country flag
You guys realize that Chutyper's car is wrapped, right? Go to his instagram profile. It's Championship white.

17CivicTypeR_Brian

Aiming for 400whp out of the TypeR.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Black CTR #4071, 16 MDX Tech
Country flag
Does anyone know if they're building/shipping 2020's yet? I might be able to swing by the port in Baltimore and see if I can see anything...

ez12a

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 CW Type R
Country flag
You guys realize that Chutyper's car is wrapped, right? Go to his instagram profile. It's Championship white.
Is hpjs picture of Chus car? It is not clear at least in this thread

Do wrappers usually wrap the window frame inside like that?

I feel like hpj picture is not Chus car. The little cast crease is visible on the mirror cap, something I'd think would be hidden under a vinyl.
Sponsored