Patriots1959

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R
Country flag
I've never had luck with updating my maps. I get through the first step, download the file into a thumb drive with 128 GB space, and whenever I try to stick it back to the R it doesn't detect the new file and just keeps repeating step 1 detecting it needs an update. I give up lol
Easus Partition Master Free is a great utility for formatting large flash drives as FAT32 when the regular Windows formatting or the diskpart utility will not allow it.
https://www.easeus.com/partition-manager/epm-free.html

Last edited:

Akutober

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 CTR CW
Country flag
Thanks for the thread. I was able to update painlessly, didn't know you had to plug it in the car first.

JohnOCFII

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Touring; 2016 Honda Civic EX-T
Country flag
Just checked Garmin Express and...
I just did the update, and the map loading into the car got to about 90% and then said update failed. Did it? Where can I check the map version in the car? This is what I see now:

Honda Civic 10th gen 2020.0 Garmin Navigation Map Update Available IMG_0147

fiend busa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
I've never had luck with updating my maps. I get through the first step, download the file into a thumb drive with 128 GB space, and whenever I try to stick it back to the R it doesn't detect the new file and just keeps repeating step 1 detecting it needs an update. I give up lol
Car doesn't detect a 128gb USB from experience. Try something smaller like 16

SilentMonkCTR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type-R
Country flag
So the car has to be on for 30min. Can I start the update and go driving? Or do I have to let the car sit running idle? Or better yet. Can I do it without the engine actually running?

JohnOCFII

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
So the car has to be on for 30min. Can I start the update and go driving? Or do I have to let the car sit running idle? Or better yet. Can I do it without the engine actually running?
It works fine on accessory mode. I think Honda/Garmin recommends against that just in case the process runs too long and you run down your battery.

SilentMonkCTR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type-R
Country flag
It works fine on accessory mode. I think Honda/Garmin recommends against that just in case the process runs too long and you run down your battery.
That's no problem. I have a battery tender and will just hook that up while it's going. I just don't want to heat soak my brand new Type-R for 30min. Thanks!

remc86007

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
You can let it go while you drive; I've done that before.

Also, having your car idle for the 20min it takes isn't going to hurt the car.

Aje7590

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
Just updated my ā€˜19 Civic touring.

Does anyone ever notice any actual changes to the maps? I always update, but Iā€™m just curious if anyone has noticed anything

Chee_hu

First Name
Sherwin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
#611 Rallye Red CTR | 1998 Civic EX | 2007 Honda Fit Sport
Country flag
Car doesn't detect a 128gb USB from experience. Try something smaller like 16
It did for me. The one I used was 128gb. It was a user error on my part. I kept turning the car off before downloading the filed to the drive.

JohnOCFII

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I just did the update, and the map loading into the car got to about 90% and then said update failed. Did it? Where can I check the map version in the car? This is what I see now:

IMG_0147.jpeg
I ran the update again and it completed successfully. The items on the screen didn't change, so the map version must be somewhere else.

BarracksSi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Sport Touring Hatch; '17 CR-V EX. Formerly '02 EP3.
Country flag
Trying to get my update to work correctly, but the head unit fails, saying that thereā€™s not enough memory on the device. I checked the detailed settings (no pic yet of that screen) and it says it has around 2.3 GB available ā€” which seems stupidly low (whatā€™s the total capacity? 2.4 GB?).

hereā€™s the error that the system shows:

Honda Civic 10th gen 2020.0 Garmin Navigation Map Update Available 6B708C2F-C74E-402D-8EC6-6D9F44E302EE

Tonysil

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
Trying to get my update to work correctly, but the head unit fails, saying that thereā€™s not enough memory on the device. I checked the detailed settings (no pic yet of that screen) and it says it has around 2.3 GB available ā€” which seems stupidly low (whatā€™s the total capacity? 2.4 GB?).

hereā€™s the error that the system shows:

6B708C2F-C74E-402D-8EC6-6D9F44E302EE.jpeg
I have this same issue, does anyone have a fix for it?
Sponsored