2020.0 Garmin Navigation Map Update Available

17CivicTypeR_Brian

Aiming for 400whp out of the TypeR.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Black CTR #4071, 16 MDX Tech
Country flag
How do I find this again? I've never done the updates!

17CivicTypeR_Brian

Aiming for 400whp out of the TypeR.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Black CTR #4071, 16 MDX Tech
Country flag

CbusHondaFan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Si TW, 2019 Civic Type R CW
Country flag
Thanks for the heads up. I updated to the 2020 maps and it went smoothly. I recommend using a class 10 SD card if you can. It makes the install much quicker. My install only took 15 minutes and I only had the car in accessory mode - no need to run the engine.

Caestus

First Name
Jeremiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Civic Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Just checked Garmin Express and...

garmin_2020.jpg

WOW.... I -just- updated to the 2019 maps

This had to have been released the day after I updated my maps lol.... I see the new update available now...

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI Coupe. . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon. . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Pulsar NX . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon (2nd Donor Wagon for parts)
Country flag
The thing in the Video about "Formatting" the USB drive is a bit misleading.

What you are actually doing at the start of the update process, when you are told to initially put your USB DRIVE into the car, is to have the car transfer dome files to the USB drive, that will then tell the Update website, what your car is, and what updates are appropriate, and available for your car.

So when you then go to the Honda/Garnin Nav update site, and put your USB Drive into your computer, the website reads the drive, and determines from those file, obtained from YOUR car, what you are "entitled" to get, matched to your specific and unique car.

Using that Flash Drive with dowloaded Map data, later, and trying to put those downloaded maps onto an DIFFERENT Honda car, will result in your Nav system getting LOCKED.. so don;t do that !!!

ie The Updates are FREE, for YOUR car, provided you effectively Validate to the website that you have the car that is going to be updated.

Chee_hu

First Name
Sherwin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
#611 Rallye Red CTR | 1998 Civic EX | 2007 Honda Fit Sport
Country flag
I've never had luck with updating my maps. I get through the first step, download the file into a thumb drive with 128 GB space, and whenever I try to stick it back to the R it doesn't detect the new file and just keeps repeating step 1 detecting it needs an update. I give up lol

d15b7

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R, 1995 Civic EG K24/20 EFR7163 Fortune Auto track weapon
Country flag
question for your guys -- I did the 2019 maps successfully about 5 months ago (formatted the thumb drive and followed all the directions etc.). been working great. here's the question -- i saved the thumb drive and haven't used it for anything since. do i have to do the reformat and plug into the CTR again to prep the thumb drive again to do the 2020 maps? or can i skip that step and just reuse the thumbdrive and load the 2020 maps onto it (as it's been 'initialized' to know my CTR from the 2019 map upgrade) and then plug into the CTR and upgrade to the 2020 maps and save an entire time wasting step?

i don't want to corrupt my Nav system so I'm asking here first! thanks!

Todd

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI Coupe. . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon. . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Pulsar NX . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon (2nd Donor Wagon for parts)
Country flag
I don't have any inside info, but I am a pro software goon.

What's probably happening is they're loading anything on the drive that ends in .bin so they don't have to try and parse files. They tell you to format it not because it's some special format (it's just bog standard FAT32) but because they want to make sure their update is the only .bin on there.

Plug the USB into your computer, delete all the files off it, then go from there. Should be just fine.

It's a computer, not a dark portal.
+1 Good advice...

Caestus

First Name
Jeremiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Civic Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
question for your guys -- I did the 2019 maps successfully about 5 months ago (formatted the thumb drive and followed all the directions etc.). been working great. here's the question -- i saved the thumb drive and haven't used it for anything since. do i have to do the reformat and plug into the CTR again to prep the thumb drive again to do the 2020 maps? or can i skip that step and just reuse the thumbdrive and load the 2020 maps onto it (as it's been 'initialized' to know my CTR from the 2019 map upgrade) and then plug into the CTR and upgrade to the 2020 maps and save an entire time wasting step?

i don't want to corrupt my Nav system so I'm asking here first! thanks!

Todd
I am gonna try later today. I assume the Garmin Software will overwrite the old maps because it thinks the USB drive is the actual GPS.

d15b7

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R, 1995 Civic EG K24/20 EFR7163 Fortune Auto track weapon
Country flag
hey I just did the update. used the same USB drive that I had used before. didn't reinitialize it and it worked fine. note that it didnt erase the old maps off the usb drive; it copied the additional ones into the corresponding folders (so there was 2019 maps and 2020 maps). i deleted all the 2019 maps off the usb drive so that it wouldnt fill up (the next update for 2021 there wouldnt be enough room on my 16 gb thumbdrive)

FriscoBrah

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Championship White Civic Type R
Country flag
I've never had luck with updating my maps. I get through the first step, download the file into a thumb drive with 128 GB space, and whenever I try to stick it back to the R it doesn't detect the new file and just keeps repeating step 1 detecting it needs an update. I give up lol
I didn’t have your issue but mine loads to about 96% then says map install failed. Tried twice and no dice.

Edit - it has to be a 16gb stick which is dumb.

Last edited:

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
128GB is your issue... most likely it is not correctly formatted to Fat32.:dunno:

Typically, at least on a WINDOWS PC, windows can only format Fat32 to max size of 32 GB.
Either use a 32GB or even a 16GB USB stick ,,16GB is more than big enough to hold the Garmin map update.

Note: The 32 GB limit for Fat32 is an artificial Windows limit in the windows Format program - probably to encourage the switch to HFS file system. :crazy:

Some format utilities will be able to format FAT32 greater than 32GB, as can the Android Operating system -- but it's far easier to KISS, and just use a 16GB Flash drive.

ManfromRI

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17' CW Civic Type R
Country flag
I didn’t have your issue but mine loads to about 96% then says map install failed. Tried twice and no dice.

Edit - it has to be a 16gb stick which is dumb.

That's not true, I used my 32gb stick multiple times with no problems. It might depend on the brand or maybe you have a corrupted flash drive??
Sponsored