First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type-R
Country flag
Like I said, just my opinion.
Everything I have ever read about the overheat issue is when folks are running at places like VIR at the peak of summer and wringing the neck out of the car.
Maybe your years and years of experience means you drive the car in a manner where you are very fast and pushing hard but not "over-driving" it? That would be my guess.
And ---- if you don't have any issues at VIR in the summer then I can't believe that it isn't something people are doing over some inherent flaw in the design of the car. (maybe?)

FWIW I'd guess the car is down abut 20% on power from an 85 degree day to a 58 degree day!
Oh for sure.

I could not believe how much faster the car was trapping my first cold day (ambient temp in the mid to upper 40's) with TrackDaze last month. Almost 10 MPH faster coming into T14 & T1.

I was shocked.

Maybe Honda changed something to address the cooling in MY19 vs earlier years?
Sponsored

Z3papa

First Name
Clark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R, 2011 BMW M3
Country flag
Car is perfectly fine in snow with proper tires. You can use a Quick Fit Pro from other makes for a harness but may need to get a seat belt extender depending on how tall you are and seating position. I installed the QFP from my M3 and it worked fine.

remc86007

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
I'm sure you guys know the difference, but some posts on other threads seem to suggest not everyone does: this car 100% will heatsoak--reduce power when intake temps climb--which I believe takes as little as 104F (which everyone tracking it with a stock intercooler will see), but that is different than the car actually overheating and going into limp mode. Way fewer people have experienced that, and it seems to happen only on cars driven hard in the summer at low speed tracks.

I drove Daytona's road course with the ktuner display showing me temp readouts. In the tight corners the temps would rise, but once I get up over 100mph on the straights and banking, the temps went back down.

Boxerman

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
512BBi, Lotus elise, Lotus Exige v6 cup, E46 M3, Honda Hrv.
Country flag
I'm sure you guys know the difference, but some posts on other threads seem to suggest not everyone does: this car 100% will heatsoak--reduce power when intake temps climb--which I believe takes as little as 104F (which everyone tracking it with a stock intercooler will see), but that is different than the car actually overheating and going into limp mode. Way fewer people have experienced that, and it seems to happen only on cars driven hard in the summer at low speed tracks.

I drove Daytona's road course with the ktuner display showing me temp readouts. In the tight corners the temps would rise, but once I get up over 100mph on the straights and banking, the temps went back down.
Makes sense. From what you're saying seems like airflow over the radiator is the issue, a bigger rad wont fix airflow, but different fanss might be asimple solution..
A grille and possibly the air/oil cooler may help a bit in staving off overheat.
The car is what it is though.

Boxerman

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
512BBi, Lotus elise, Lotus Exige v6 cup, E46 M3, Honda Hrv.
Country flag
Car is perfectly fine in snow with proper tires. You can use a Quick Fit Pro from other makes for a harness but may need to get a seat belt extender depending on how tall you are and seating position. I installed the QFP from my M3 and it worked fine.
What tires do you use for snow?

willskiGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R #26262
Country flag
What sort of PSI do you run in the fronts, and how long do they last?

Ugh, not a porche, the only ones there really make sense are Gt3s(which are rough on street and $$$$) and the Gt4, which is sorta cool, but my exige is quicker than both of those. Yeah i know porche makes great quality stuff, and if I had the $$$ for sa Gt3 maybe. Actualy Id probably spend the 180K for a Gt3 on Gt350,CTR and a Challenger.

Friend just sold his cayman Gts to get a used exige after one drive in a lotus.
GT3s are pretty great on the street actually (especially with the nose lift). 991.1s are a real bargain - 10 year, 120k miles warranty provided by Porsche and they are very, very quick for a daily drivable car.

I've tried a variety of PSIs but the stock tires / stock tire size is crap. I've run 40+ psi hot and they still rollover. I torched the stock front right tire in about 5-6 hot laps of Atlanta Motorsports Park (anti-clockwise track so lots of loading on the front right). Big chunks from the edge of tread and sidewall.

Z3papa

First Name
Clark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R, 2011 BMW M3
Country flag
What tires do you use for snow?
Dunlop SP Winter Sport 4D which were on a set of wheels I bought off Apexit here. Winter/Snow driving is just about not putting down much torque as you would expect and disengaging VSA if necessary.
Sponsored