First Name
Speed Maniac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Type R, 2020 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
  • Banned
Hello all....To preface, I have the car not even 2 full months and it only has 600 miles on it. Today was a super nice day so I decided to open the sunroof fully. Boy was that a mistake. At highways speeds, on a relatively smooth surface it started to rattle like crazy. I closed it and it was fine. I then tilted it...and it too was fine in that position. I re-opened it fully to see if itwas just because it was the first time I opened it and maybe it was because of that, and it started to rattle again like crazy. Not pleased as you can imagine. I really like opening the roof when the sun is not overhead and the temps are in the 70s. There seems to be a ton of grease on the tracks so I don't think its a lubrication issue.

Does anyone else have this problem? I did a search...it seems like this might be a design flaw/defect that Honda has known about for a while now.
Sponsored

OP
OP
RedBullHondaF1

RedBullHondaF1

Banned
Banned
First Name
Speed Maniac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
  • Banned
OP
OP
RedBullHondaF1

RedBullHondaF1

Banned
Banned
First Name
Speed Maniac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
  • Banned
I have the same problem it comes & go's when it wants but it sounds kinda like a knock I would say.
I had to really dig around a bit more in the forums...it appears someone came up with a solution...some type of foam slipped into the sunroof railings under the header.

pdrumns

First Name
Phillip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic SI Coupe and 2019 Nissan Kicks
Country flag
You would think as a manufacturer, they would think about things like that. Same with the rear subwoofer. How could they not think that a piece of plastic applied over the speakers that vibrate would not cause noise. For the subwoofer, I went up underneath and applied material through entrance hole in metal frame on either side of where the subwoofer is and push that up in. What is did was lift the plastic shelf up off the subwoofer just a little, just enough to take the pressure off, so that when the subwoofer is active, it does not transfer vibration into the rear shelf. The subwoofer sounds better and I get no rattles.

aighead

Threads
Reaction score
Website
snortcoffee.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si, 1988 Ford f250, 2004 Honda vtx1300
Country flag
Yup, I've determined it rattles like crazy between the head liner and whatever the head liner touches. If I push in the front middle of the head liner, right at the edge of the sunroof it stops rattling. I haven't jammed anything in there yet.

frontlinegeek

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 CRV Touring, 2017 Civic EX Sedan Honda Sensing
Country flag
You would think as a manufacturer, they would think about things like that. Same with the rear subwoofer. How could they not think that a piece of plastic applied over the speakers that vibrate would not cause noise.
A pillar covers are rattly on a lot of cars too. And although I appreciate some of the videos that people have made, there is actually inconsistency of how things are arranged under them even within the sedan family so the trick is to take them off and just see what is touching what and apply some felt or something similar to break contact.

OP
OP
RedBullHondaF1

RedBullHondaF1

Banned
Banned
First Name
Speed Maniac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I hate the A-pillar rattle as well. In fact...the plastic trim piece is so loose, I don't understand how it even passes Quality Control. I won't even mention the trim piece for the passenger side seat belt that came off when I took the car home from delivery. Not pleased with the initial quality in this car. This is my 4th Si since 2008...never had these kind of issues, and so many to boot.
Sponsored