2019 EX-L - Does this seem like a good deal?

flashcash

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic EX-L
Country flag
So, I put down a $500 refundable deposit on a 2019 Platinum White with Ivory leather interior that's in production. The MSRP is $25,495 (includes destination and handling). The invoice is $23,744. I was quoted $26,396 OTD - $24,145 + $499 (dealer conveyance fee) + $1,564 (sales tax) + 183 (license, reg and title) and $5 (greenhouse gas reduction fee...whatever that is).

Should I pull the trigger or do some more shopping around? Thanks in advance.
Sponsored

racer

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si sedan.
Country flag
I won't comment directly on if this is a "good" or "bad" price. I will mention that how much time and effort do you want to spend looking to save the last few $$$? Are there multiple local dealers? Will you service somewhere other than where you buy? Do you want to travel farther for the "right car"?

I am sure there are services like truecar and costco and maybe even your ins. co that offer reasonable prices - All below MSRP. Some below, at or above invoice depending on demand for the trim and color combo you are looking for.

MSRP (25495) - INVOICE (23744) = $1751. They are looking to make +$400 over invoice so I would push to see if you can get them down closer to invoice so that after taxes and fees, you are out the door for your original MSRP. You also don't mention if you have a trade (If you have a trade, it could help your tax burden, or if you transfer tags, could cut your "license fees" etc)

Last edited:
OP
OP

flashcash

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic EX-L
Country flag
I won't comment directly on if this is a "good" or "bad" price. I will mention that how much time and effort do you want to spend looking to save the last few $$$? Are there multiple local dealers? Will you service somewhere other than where you buy? Do you want to travel farther for the "right car"?

I am sure there are services like truecar and costco and maybe even your ins. co that offer reasonable prices - All below MSRP. Some below, at or above invoice depending on demand for the trim and color combo you are looking for.

MSRP (25495) - INVOICE (23744) = $1751. They are looking to make +$4 over invoice s0 I would push to see if you can get them down closer to invoice so that after taxes and fees, you are out the door for your original MSRP. You also don't mention if you have a trade (If you have a trade, it could help your tax burden, or if you transfer tags, could cut your "license fees" etc)
Thank you for your response and advice. I cannot find much info on 2019 selling prices and was just wondering if my quoted price was inline with some of your experiences, particularly with purchasing a new-year model pricing this early. I now intend to do more shopping around but was looking for some of your impressions and Honda's typical profit margins, which is probably based on supply and demand and may differ from other manufacturers. This will be my first Honda and wanted to have a little ammo before my next negotiation. I'm not looking to squeeze every last dollar - just want to know if I'm in a fair range.

I won't be trading in a car. The car that this will be replacing recently blew a head gasket and not sellable. This was the only dealer that said they can get me my desired color combo - Platinum White Pearl and Ivory leather.

Hondaman_MI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17' Civic EX-T
Country flag
So, I put down a $500 refundable deposit on a 2019 Platinum White with Ivory leather interior that's in production. The MSRP is $25,495 (includes destination and handling). The invoice is $23,744. I was quoted $26,396 OTD - $24,145 + $499 (dealer conveyance fee) + $1,564 (sales tax) + 183 (license, reg and title) and $5 (greenhouse gas reduction fee...whatever that is).

Should I pull the trigger or do some more shopping around? Thanks in advance.
What is the $499 convenience fee? I didn't have that when I purchased my 17' EX-T. Maybe that's something you could negotiate. Go on Cars.com and look at the 150 mile radius for the best deal around you. I don't know if you have your heart set on a 2019, but you might be able to get a 2018 Touring for the price of the 2019 EX-L.

OP
OP

flashcash

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic EX-L
Country flag
What is the $499 convenience fee? I didn't have that when I purchased my 17' EX-T. Maybe that's something you could negotiate. Go on Cars.com and look at the 150 mile radius for the best deal around you. I don't know if you have your heart set on a 2019, but you might be able to get a 2018 Touring for the price of the 2019 EX-L.
the dealer conveyance fee is what dealer's are allowed to charge for processing documents. It might be waived in some states, but here in CT it appears that all dealers are allowed to charge up to $699. It's a rip-off and non-negotiable. One dealer said that by law if he lowered my cost, he'd have to refund everyone else prior to me who paid the $499. It's crazy.

The 2018 Touring might be a consideration. I actually like the chrome grill accent of the 2018 Civics to the 2019 black accent. Thanks for your help and suggestion!

NHCivicGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 R
Country flag
What is the $499 convenience fee?
Yupp the conveyance fee is a bunch of crap. States differ in what they allow, and in NH there is no limit. Dealers love to tack on $400+ in document processing fees. We don't even have sales tax!

NHCivicGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 R
Country flag
Also for comparison, I locked in a pricing for a 2019 Si at $23,300 OTD. Had a few dealers fight between each other and got me the best price. Trying to wait until spring myself, but may happen sooner.

mitch96

First Name
mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Civic Coupe
Country flag
"One dealer said that by law if he lowered my cost, he'd have to refund everyone else prior to me who paid the $499. It's crazy."

What a load of bull... Just another way for the stealer.. er dealer to pack on more of a profit.. If you can, get an all inclusive out the door price. If he "cant" remove a dealer fee he can cut his profit some place else.. An OTD price is what you actually pay anyway. They can say what ever they want about the "fees" but they can cut the price someplace else in the deal to make it work if they want. I'm waiting for the end of the month end of the year, last two weeks in Dec '18 to make a deal on a new EX.. One dingleberry dealer has a new 2017 EX and he quoted me MSRP for an out the door price!.. I don't think he wants to sell the car...
mitch

Hondaman_MI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17' Civic EX-T
Country flag
the dealer conveyance fee is what dealer's are allowed to charge for processing documents. It might be waived in some states, but here in CT it appears that all dealers are allowed to charge up to $699. It's a rip-off and non-negotiable. One dealer said that by law if he lowered my cost, he'd have to refund everyone else prior to me who paid the $499. It's crazy.

The 2018 Touring might be a consideration. I actually like the chrome grill accent of the 2018 Civics to the 2019 black accent. Thanks for your help and suggestion!
Yupp the conveyance fee is a bunch of crap. States differ in what they allow, and in NH there is no limit. Dealers love to tack on $400+ in document processing fees. We don't even have sales tax!
Each state is different. I may move to SC in a year or two, down there they charge property tax on your car($300-$500). The convenience fee is sounds like a money grab for the dealers, I bet they love it. It's probably less than $5 worth of paper and ink for documents. If you live in a small state in New England can't you just drive to another state without the fee? I think all us buyers should form a union for what we are willing to pay, if they can't sell at that price, they sell zero cars lol.

Ouhei

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CW CTR
Country flag
I'm glad they're not being stingy with the deals on 2019 models. We went and looked at a 2018 Touring for my wife, they were offering a decent deal on it, but I'd rather wait and get her a 2019 as I hate the chrome grill.

OP
OP

flashcash

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic EX-L
Country flag
"One dealer said that by law if he lowered my cost, he'd have to refund everyone else prior to me who paid the $499. It's crazy."

What a load of bull... Just another way for the stealer.. er dealer to pack on more of a profit.. If you can, get an all inclusive out the door price. If he "cant" remove a dealer fee he can cut his profit some place else.. An OTD price is what you actually pay anyway. They can say what ever they want about the "fees" but they can cut the price someplace else in the deal to make it work if they want. I'm waiting for the end of the month end of the year, last two weeks in Dec '18 to make a deal on a new EX.. One dingleberry dealer has a new 2017 EX and he quoted me MSRP for an out the door price!.. I don't think he wants to sell the car...
mitch
It is total bull. And the state has a hand in it. Little protection for the consumer.

I did go to a couple of other dealers a couple of days ago and both charge the same fee. Actually, the dealer who gave the initial quote, where I left a deposit, came in with a reasonable price. They also seem to better maintain their cars on the lot and their service are seems more organized, which tells me something. I'll probably stick with them. Thanks!

OP
OP

flashcash

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic EX-L
Country flag
Each state is different. I may move to SC in a year or two, down there they charge property tax on your car($300-$500). The convenience fee is sounds like a money grab for the dealers, I bet they love it. It's probably less than $5 worth of paper and ink for documents. If you live in a small state in New England can't you just drive to another state without the fee? I think all us buyers should form a union for what we are willing to pay, if they can't sell at that price, they sell zero cars lol.
No doubt. Regardless of what they're allowed to charge, it's too damn much!

OP
OP

flashcash

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic EX-L
Country flag
I'm glad they're not being stingy with the deals on 2019 models. We went and looked at a 2018 Touring for my wife, they were offering a decent deal on it, but I'd rather wait and get her a 2019 as I hate the chrome grill.
Normally I'd agree with you about the chrome grill accent, but in my case (Platinum white interior and ivory leather), the chrome may be the better choice, as there might be a little too much black on white on the 2019. Chrome might blend in better with my specific color scheme. But, with the more I look at pics, the more I'm getting more used to it.

Ouhei

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CW CTR
Country flag
Normally I'd agree with you about the chrome grill accent, but in my case (Platinum white interior and ivory leather), the chrome may be the better choice, as there might be a little too much black on white on the 2019. Chrome might blend in better with my specific color scheme. But, with the more I look at pics, the more I'm getting more used to it.
I love the contrast with the gloss black on white (I mean I have a CW CTR, so yeah). The only thing that annoys me with the sedan is that the touring has chrome door handles!

OP
OP

flashcash

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic EX-L
Country flag
I love the contrast with the gloss black on white (I mean I have a CW CTR, so yeah). The only thing that annoys me with the sedan is that the touring has chrome door handles!
I agree about the chrome door handles. It detracts instead of enhancing.
Sponsored