2019 Civic vs. 2019 Mazda 3

chandlervt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Subaru WRX
Country flag
I'm saddened by the torsion beam news. As somewhat of an ex-Mazda fanboy, moves like this, along with them putting CUV tires on the new turbocharged 6, killed a lot of my interest in the brand. I definitely think Honda does a better job fitting into different buyers' needs with the various Civic models and what not.

If they were making a Speed version of this it would almost certainly be my next car. I sat in the sedan on display at the LA auto show - feels as nice as an A3 inside, if not better.
Carplay is available even in 2018 touring models. I almost bought one but changed my mind to get WRX. For the money, Mazda3 HB is an insanely good buy especially with the deals on 2018. 2019 is a different story though.

hoodlum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Saturn Astra
Country flag

hoodlum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Saturn Astra
Country flag
Here are some more details on the new audio system setup.

https://insidemazda.mazdausa.com/pr...2018-los-angeles-auto-show-press-information/

• Mazda conducted a series of new studies into how sounds are transmitted through a car’s cabin. This led to more efficiently improving sound quality by placing the bass speakers in the corners where the sound is amplified. To avoid the tonal quality of mid- to high-frequencysounds from being affected by reflected sounds, the other speakers were positioned on the left and right sail garnish and upper sections of the door trim where the sound is transmitted directly toward the occupant’s ears. This creates a more natural sensation to distinguishing the sound’s point of origin and enhances the depth and clarity of that sound.

• The 8-speaker standard audio system uses a 3-way layout, with 3L woofers positioned on the sides of the front cowl, a pair of 2.5cm speakers on the sail garnish and 8cm speakers on the upper section of the front and rear door trim. The 12-speaker Bose®sound system adds an 8cm center speaker, a pair of rear satellite speakers, and a subwoofer. It also features custom tuning to provide more powerful bass and higher audio quality.

ablueSI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic SI Sedan
Country flag
Here are some more details on the new audio system setup.

https://insidemazda.mazdausa.com/pr...2018-los-angeles-auto-show-press-information/

• Mazda conducted a series of new studies into how sounds are transmitted through a car’s cabin. This led to more efficiently improving sound quality by placing the bass speakers in the corners where the sound is amplified. To avoid the tonal quality of mid- to high-frequencysounds from being affected by reflected sounds, the other speakers were positioned on the left and right sail garnish and upper sections of the door trim where the sound is transmitted directly toward the occupant’s ears. This creates a more natural sensation to distinguishing the sound’s point of origin and enhances the depth and clarity of that sound.

• The 8-speaker standard audio system uses a 3-way layout, with 3L woofers positioned on the sides of the front cowl, a pair of 2.5cm speakers on the sail garnish and 8cm speakers on the upper section of the front and rear door trim. The 12-speaker Bose®sound system adds an 8cm center speaker, a pair of rear satellite speakers, and a subwoofer. It also features custom tuning to provide more powerful bass and higher audio quality.
Ugh Bose.

IDriveACivic

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Touring Sedan
Country flag
Not gonna lie, those particular reviews read like ads.

LegendaryElite

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic EX w/ Sensing
Country flag
First drive reviews came out earlier this week. The new Mazda3 is expected to arrive in dealerships this month. It looks like Mazda hit a home run with the new Gen./
Not at that price.
A 2019 base HB is $3000 more than a comparable 2018 HB Touring.
Mazda is trying to go the semi-premium route, which has never succeeded in the history.
This car might be something special with the new Skyactive-X engine and upscale interior, but it will not get the market share due to the price.
Also the cargo space of the HB is a major failure.

OP
OP
jred721

jred721

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Accord Sport
Country flag
Not at that price.
A 2019 base HB is $3000 more than a comparable 2018 HB Touring.
Mazda is trying to go the semi-premium route, which has never succeeded in the history.
This car might be something special with the new Skyactive-X engine and upscale interior, but it will not get the market share due to the price.
Also the cargo space of the HB is a major failure.
It's subjective. Mazda has always focused their cars on the niche market, and not the mass market because they're a WAY smaller company than Honda and Toyota. That's why whenever you look at reviews of the Mazdas or if you ask a car reviewer what is a good new car for enthusiasts that is not to expensive, they say Mazda 3. I wouldn't say they failed at all, it's just cars like the Civic and Corolla will always outsell the Mazda 3, and they're well aware of that. Granted, I would still take a Civic over a 3 because I just like Hondas more, but a 3 is a solid option if someone wants a car with a luxury car like interior without paying the luxury car price.

LegendaryElite

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic EX w/ Sensing
Country flag
Granted, I would still take a Civic over a 3 because I just like Hondas more, but a 3 is a solid option if someone wants a car with a luxury car like interior without paying the luxury car price.
I have to disagree with this statement. The top trim 2019 Mazda 3 is just shy of 30k which is borderline luxury car price.
The new ILX and Mercedes A-class should both fall within 35k range.
Mazda tries to cater to an even more niche market, which is semi-premium, than they used to do.
With a price tag at 30k (MSRP), the enthusiasts will probably choose a Si or Veloster N over the new 3.
And with just a bit more money you can get a true luxury brand.
I believe this car will again be universally praised by the reviewers, but I just don't see how it will be a big hit.

On a side note, I have been driving my gf's 3 for a while and I really hate its seats and infotainment.
The powertrain is ok, but the NA engine doesn't react as quick as my 2.0 Civic.
Still would take it over the Corolla hatchback and other compact cars though, it's just Civic is better than 3 in every possible way.
But yeah, it's just my opinion so don't take it too seriously.

jjtheprince

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Would be nice if they resurrected a turbo Mazdaspeed3 edition, my 2012 MS3 was a nice vehicle & hopefully they'd go with the independent rear suspension on that model & tune it to 300+hp stock.

ablueSI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic SI Sedan
Country flag
Would be nice if they resurrected a turbo Mazdaspeed3 edition, my 2012 MS3 was a nice vehicle & hopefully they'd go with the independent rear suspension on that model & tune it to 300+hp stock.
I would love the same. It would be my next car, if it was to exist.

jks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura RSX
Country flag
The new mazda3 hatch is a tough sell for the following reasons:
1. skyactiv-x engine a no show
2. major cheap-out on the rear suspension. Mazda is trying to market the car "upscale" when it wears the same rear suspenders as the Nissan Versa.
3. Less cargo room than even the tiny cargo space of the outgoing hatch model (308l to 295l)
4. less choice in engines and way less choice in transmissions than the outgoing model. The outgoing model has 2 engine choices and a 6mt available on all trims.
5. Mazda jacked the price to the moon.

I don't think the price will hold. If you're still interested, wait till year's end for the inevitable steep discounts.

87elco

First Name
Tj
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1987 el camino ls swap, 18 civic 6speed, 86 Porsche 911 (euro spec)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Looks like a saab

xbbnx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Si, 2017 Si (past), 2015 Si (past)
Country flag
WTF was Mazda thinking with the torsion beam suspension?? They are supposed to be a car company thats all about the driving experience first but then they go pull this shit? Crazy and weird.

OP
OP
jred721

jred721

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Accord Sport
Country flag
WTF was Mazda thinking with the torsion beam suspension?? They are supposed to be a car company thats all about the driving experience first but then they go pull this shit? Crazy and weird.
Yeah exactly my thoughts. They've been known to offer cars with a great driving experience and market their cars as "for those who love driving" and they do this. Literally makes no sense at all.
Sponsored