mitch96

First Name
mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Civic Coupe
Country flag
Not to deny that Mazda makes a good product but I would not be the "first year guinea pig".. It might be the neatest thing since sliced bread or a lemon.
I'll let time be the jury on this engine...
YMMV
mitch
Sponsored

RODSCIVIC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Acura MDX 2016 Focus ST 2018 Si Sedan
Country flag
Not to deny that Mazda makes a good product but I would not be the "first year guinea pig".. It might be the neatest thing since sliced bread or a lemon.
I'll let time be the jury on this engine...
YMMV
mitch
True, but you still have the 2.0 and 2.5 option which are proven. The Skyactiv-X I would not touch until the 3rd year at the earliest.

hoodlum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Saturn Astra
Country flag
The sedan looks a lot nicer with this generation and the interior looks great as well. AWD is an option now!

Honda Civic 10th gen 2019 Civic vs. 2019 Mazda 3 e06752c5-2019-mazda-3-sedan-hatch-123

Honda Civic 10th gen 2019 Civic vs. 2019 Mazda 3 577046ca-2019-mazda-3-sedan-hatch-503

chandlervt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Subaru WRX
Country flag
I am looking at 2018 Mazda 3 HB. Will let you know how it compares. Good thing 2018 is heavily discounted - lot of upgrades and priced lower than Civic LX . Also dealers seem like they are willing to bend more than Honda dealers - who think they are selling gold. Not going to buy first year redesigned car though. Also, that C-pillar on 2019 seems like a nightmare .

Micah

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Si 4DR FlashPro +9psi (3k-14k) Ktuner TSP Stage 1(14k-30k+) '17 Traverse LT AWD
Country flag

LegendaryElite

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic EX w/ Sensing
Country flag
I am looking at 2018 Mazda 3 HB. Will let you know how it compares. Good thing 2018 is heavily discounted - lot of upgrades and priced lower than Civic LX . Also dealers seem like they are willing to bend more than Honda dealers - who think they are selling gold. Not going to buy first year redesigned car though. Also, that C-pillar on 2019 seems like a nightmare .
GF just got a silver 2018 Mazda 3 Touring HB literally yesterday. OTD $20100 with a new plate in Orlando.
Compared to similar (mostly likely higher) priced 2019 Civic Sport sedan, Mazda 3 HB has more cargo space, better performance, and leatherette seats.
However the active safety features are lacking. Standard Honda Sensing is quite a blessing for new drivers. And the interior space is smaller and less useful.
Also Mazda 3 now supports Android Auto, so that's a big plus over Corolla.

Swank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Coupe Black
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
My wife's 2016 Mazda3 certainly has some good get up and go, but it's not as sporty looking of a car to me, and that infotainment screen looks like such an afterthought even in the 2019, like someone glued a tablet to the top of the dash, blah. She loves it though, I like it a lot too. The fuel economy whoops my 2018 Si still, she likes mentioning that a lot, haha.

Last edited:

chandlervt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Subaru WRX
Country flag
GF just got a silver 2018 Mazda 3 Touring HB literally yesterday. OTD $20100 with a new plate in Orlando.
Compared to similar (mostly likely higher) priced 2019 Civic Sport sedan, Mazda 3 HB has more cargo space, better performance, and leatherette seats.
However the active safety features are lacking. Standard Honda Sensing is quite a blessing for new drivers. And the interior space is smaller and less useful.
Also Mazda 3 now supports Android Auto, so that's a big plus over Corolla.
Got a quote of $19.7 OTD yesterday but mine is stick. I bet yours is with automatic. So similar price. One dealer discounted $300 on Si, and was acting as if it was Santa was real.

jks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura RSX
Country flag
Been waiting waiting waiting for the new Skyactiv-x engine since it was announced. Last year, they said spring of next year. It's now shaping up to be fall of next year in the US and that's only for states that have extra stringent pollution laws (i.e. CA). Hope my aging RSX makes it.

mechanical42

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wife Prius, 2019 Civic Hatchback
Country flag
Been waiting waiting waiting for the new Skyactiv-x engine since it was announced. Last year, they said spring of next year. It's now shaping up to be fall of next year in the US and that's only for states that have extra stringent pollution laws (i.e. CA). Hope my aging RSX makes it.
You're a brave man being a first year buyer of that SkyActiv-X. I contemplated myself but Mazda going with torsion beam suspension instead of the independent was a deal breaker for me

iulianm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 VW Golf 7 GTI DSG
Country flag
I wonder how they will manage to pair the AWD system with torsion beam.

jjtheprince

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
I like Mazdas, used to own a 2012 Mazdaspeed3 and the car was a ton of fun.

Not sure I'm digging this new one because of the torsion beam rear suspension, it most likely won't handle as well as the Si. No Apple CarPlay yet either which is a dealbreaker. Nice looking car and interior for sure though.

ablueSI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic SI Sedan
Country flag
I'm saddened by the torsion beam news. As somewhat of an ex-Mazda fanboy, moves like this, along with them putting CUV tires on the new turbocharged 6, killed a lot of my interest in the brand. I definitely think Honda does a better job fitting into different buyers' needs with the various Civic models and what not.

If they were making a Speed version of this it would almost certainly be my next car. I sat in the sedan on display at the LA auto show - feels as nice as an A3 inside, if not better.

ablueSI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic SI Sedan
Country flag
No Apple CarPlay yet either which is a dealbreaker. Nice looking car and interior for sure though.
Carplay will be available on the 2019, and Mazda is actually retrofitting some previous models with the software.
Sponsored