2019 Civic Type R

Ctrnut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hyundai veracruz, 2017 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
I hear ya but i dont consider things that are something thats been on every in the last 30 years tech. Except drive modes. Everything you listed is fairly standard systems just updated to buttons to save weight and cost. Analog gages or digital same thing same fuction not really tech as nither do anything different from each other just form factor is different. Hvac... really ?same thing as any other car just push button instead of knob controls..everything else same tech as 40 years ago..condenser..vents... pipes... heater core. I mean if you consider any advance on normal car systems tech then really the whole car is tech down to the welding adheasives.
Its still tech the difference here becomes on a performance car analog systems were less complex so less chance of breaking. At the end of the day tech is tech it becomes a matter of in its most basest use how reliable will it be under high stress situations. My 8th gen civic si had no traction control, nor did my '06 cobalt SS. If the system monitoring my speed dies I have no idea what my engine is doing then have to rely by ear.

Like I said a few posts up I understand why these features and advancements are important, my PERSONAL PREFERENCE IS LESS DIGITAL. but the argument is still all these updated feature are technology based. Say anything you want tech is the main strength and weakness of all cars.
Sponsored

Harlaquin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Type R and a beater ford focus
Country flag
Its still tech the difference here becomes on a performance car analog systems were less complex so less chance of breaking. At the end of the day tech is tech it becomes a matter of in its most basest use how reliable will it be under high stress situations. My 8th gen civic si had no traction control, nor did my '06 cobalt SS. If the system monitoring my speed dies I have no idea what my engine is doing then have to rely by ear.

Like I said a few posts up I understand why these features and advancements are important, my PERSONAL PREFERENCE IS LESS DIGITAL. but the argument is still all these updated feature are technology based. Say anything you want tech is the main strength and weakness of all cars.
Understood. I guess I took tech as you know tech...new dodads which the CTR compared to other cars even its own family has next to none. And i hear ya but really either system could fail.. digital the software screws up analog a cable or nut breaks. 6 one half dozen other kinda thing i guess. I do miss the days of just hitting it with a wrench and f bombing it to make it work lol.

heavyD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F87
Country flag
take out the brake hold, traction control system, drive modes, e ebrake, rev match, the hvac system is not analog, digital dash. I am sorry but those are all tech items.
Sure and so are power windows but we aren't going back to manual window cranks. Simple idiot lights were considered tech decades ago. All the stuff you listed may have been considered high tech 15 years ago but they are standard features of nearly all automobiles today. All Civics use the digital dash. It would cost Honda more money to create and manufacture a new analog dash just for the Type R than to used the existing as with lean manufacturing you want less parts bins not more. Same goes for the parking brake as the more parts you can use from one bin the cheaper manufacturing costs become. The US market already gets a stripper Type R compared to the rest of the markets and it's hard to imagine there's much more room for them to scale back. If anything there may be a higher trim that has more of the features they get in Europe.

typemismatch

First Name
Russell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A whole farm of Hondas
Country flag
My 8th gen civic si had no traction control.
False. VSA and traction control were standard on the 8th Si. I bought mine brand new in 07 and daily drove it for 10 years.

keiothic

Banned
Banned
First Name
YoK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 FK8 CW #22485
Country flag
I wish there's some kind of new leak or rumor... Or even a disguised CTR running around the Nurburgring again. Even if there isn't a refresh with the exterior.

mareckivii

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FG2
VSA was not offered on the 2006 Si; however, it became standard on both 2007 models (FA5 & FG2).

23Red

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 FK8, '06 AP2
Country flag
People clamoring for a stripped, race-ready CTR might be in for a disappointment. A GT350R doesn't have a back seat, a/c, or radio and cost MORE than a GT350.

Now, if we're talking about a base version ala Evo 8 RS 5-speed with no power locks, windows, radio, sound deadening, map lights, rear wing, or ABS then I'm sure for a strictly track car it would work but I bet it would suck to daily.

Last edited:

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Odyssey, '94 300zx, 2001 F-150
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I used to think less tech = a lot cheaper when it came to some things but... economies of scale.

With super cheap tablet-tech... I don't know that a cluster with a bunch of meter movements is any cheaper than a screen. They were all getting sensor readings and having to turn them into a mechanical movement before anyways. So many knobs have been integrated in the headunit/climate controls. Door lock actuators and window motors are a PITA to replace and seem to cost a smidge... but their cost anymore seems relatively low for 3rd party ones that I don't know if getting a crank is much cheaper. The rods are all the same for the manual vs power locks from the few I've messed with. The weight savings is negligable (to me).

I do think integrating all our controls/meters into these couple screens is actually a cost savings method for the companies now... and with the aforementioned requirement for a backup camera in the US... you night as well get the most out of that screen. Make it a touch screen and throw all the controls for the car in there. Even if it's a meh GUI and slow as molasses.

Still, if an Amazon fire tablet runs well under $100... with a internal battery and a camera or two, I don't believe our slow screens that are about the same size actually cost all that much. You're certainly not talking thousands. I doubt you're costing hundreds... even if through the parts stores they're sold to us for that much.

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
In the previous pages we talked about what they can gut without driving up cost. Halogen headlights/fogs, mid range audio w/o Navi, and a few other odds & ends. Nothing significant, but enough to reduce the combined cost by 1-2K. The good thing about the global platform is that Honda can mix & match non-CTR components from base trims quite easily; and they're all produced right there in Swindon.

My gut says that if we don't see a base trim in 2019, the new CTR VIN that was registered by Honda last year will be reserved for a limited production "black edition" in 2020 to help keep interest alive.

UnknownCTR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR SGP, Mercedes-Benz 2014 C250
Country flag
In the previous pages we talked about what they can gut without driving up cost. Halogen headlights/fogs, mid range audio w/o Navi, and a few other odds & ends. Nothing significant, but enough to reduce the combined cost by 1-2K. The good thing about the global platform is that Honda can mix & match non-CTR components from base trims quite easily; and they're all produced right there in Swindon.

My gut says that if we don't see a base trim in 2019, the new CTR VIN that was registered by Honda last year will be reserved for a limited production "black edition" in 2020 to help keep interest alive.
Hmmm, like they did with the Eurospec CTR.
Good point!

HONDA X

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S2000
Country flag
Did Honda announce anything about the production of the 2019 CTR to the U.S?

UFO CTR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR#1348
Country flag
Did Honda announce anything about the production of the 2019 CTR to the U.S?
no, we were told 13000 units world wide, but I'm seeing badge numbers in the 14,xxx...so what's going on? is honda skipping badge numbers in anticipation of special edition CTR's? :what:
Sponsored