Mick the Quick

First Name
Mick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 PMM Civic Type R (R-08508)
Country flag
Well, I guess there will always be the newer, better cars coming out on an annual basis across different brands and mid-model refreshes. Keep waiting and you will miss out on this fabulous car . . . . there is no assurance that any of us would live, be healthy or have financial capability, tomorrow.

I don't care, this is one car I have had in a very long time that I want to keep for a several years (I change cars every 1-3 years typically, just because).

YMMV.

17CivicTypeR_Brian

Aiming for 400whp out of the TypeR.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Black CTR #4071, 16 MDX Tech
Country flag
Well, I guess there will always be the newer, better cars coming out on an annual basis across different brands and mid-model refreshes. Keep waiting and you will miss out on this fabulous car . . . . there is no assurance that any of us would live, be healthy or have financial capability, tomorrow.

I don't care, this is one car I have had in a very long time that I want to keep for a several years (I change cars every 1-3 years typically, just because).

YMMV.
You're right on this. The push to hybridize, use alternative fuels, or electrify autos means we may be at the pinnacle of pure Internal Combustion cars and there's no telling how long this can last.
A 2019, 2020, 2021 Type R, should it exist, would probably still follow the Front engine FWD format and ride on the current chassis, but beyond that there's no telling what combination of driven wheels and/or electrification we may see. We still think there is room in the back for a differential, so it'll be interesting if that direction is explored.
Being that the 2.0T is being adapted to several different models and a turbo V6 is possible, we may continue to see performance oriented vehicles but upclass from the Civic. Hopefully we see an Acura-badged Civic with the 2.0T and SH-AWD we've all dreamed about (as a daily, not a track vehicle necessarily).
It's a great time, but I don't know how long it can last.

17CivicTypeR_Brian

Aiming for 400whp out of the TypeR.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Black CTR #4071, 16 MDX Tech
Country flag
I just can't wait to see the new Insight later this year.

@17CivicTypeR_Brian, how's the snow down there today?
It's awesome!!
I'd say we scored about 5" last night (that's what she said) and probably another 4" so far today. I rinsed my car as soon as I got home last night and it's in the garage now. I've got to share pics - seriously just rinsing the car with my CR-Spotless treated water is enough to make it look like it wasn't just driven in the snow. It's awesome!
If I go out to the store later, I'll take the MDX.

Aero2001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura TSX, 2010, 6MT
Country flag
For 2019, I hope Sensing becomes available in the CTR for the US market. It's available elsewhere, and with the Fit and Accord, Honda is introducing it into MT vehicles in the US so perhaps the Civic lineup will follow. That could push me over the edge into buying one next year.

doCTR

First Name
doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTR CW / RS400 / Golf R/ Forester XT
Country flag
if amenities like "sensing" is keeping one away from buying a type R my humble advice will be to stay away from this car as you might regret its "rawness" later on. Goof R / amg 45 etc will be a better option as it will be more 'refined' and guess more knick knacks on board. Trying to be helpful before making a regretful decision and not being snoby.

boosted180sx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR, 2016 ILX
Country flag
Well, is there proof that there WILL be a 2019? It's all speculation.
Just like how there is no proof that a 2019 isn't going to come, there is no proof that a 2019 is going to come. With that said, I do believe there will be a 2019 model. There just isn't much reason for them to stop the production if 10th gens styles are still being made.

typemismatch

First Name
Russell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A whole farm of Hondas
Country flag
http://tophondacars.com/2019-honda-civic-type-r-release-date/ Again I am finding more stories about base models, all wheel drive, 10 speed automatics, etc. We wonā€™t know for certain until there is an official Honda release. Seems like I went thru this before. I am happy to say that I have my CTR and donā€™t have to worry about it this time around.

Hal
That site is pure click bait.

Literally the definition of fake news.

typemismatch

First Name
Russell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A whole farm of Hondas
Country flag
As far as the 2019, I don't see why they wouldn't make one.

I could see them pulling them from the US, just like they did with the ITR, but just to stop the bad press from ADM rather than weak sales like the ITR

remc86007

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
^That doesn't make sense to me. The best way to get rid of the bad press from ADM is to keep producing the car. There is no way that six months from now there will still be high ADM. Most dealers in Florida are already down to $2k-$3k ADM and that will keep dropping as time goes on. This isn't a Model 3; it has no mass market appeal. The people that want a CTR knew they wanted a CTR when it came out. I'd bet that fewer than 5% of CTR sales are a result of people walking into a Honda dealer planning to buy something else and then "upgrading" to the CTR when they see it on the show floor.

Too much money went into designing and bringing the CTR to North America to stop selling it while they are still selling every one they make at a healthy profit.

Meat Hammer

First Name
Alec
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CBP Civic Type R #1464
Country flag
^That doesn't make sense to me. The best way to get rid of the bad press from ADM is to keep producing the car. There is no way that six months from now there will still be high ADM. Most dealers in Florida are already down to $2k-$3k ADM and that will keep dropping as time goes on. This isn't a Model 3; it has no mass market appeal. The people that want a CTR knew they wanted a CTR when it came out. I'd bet that fewer than 5% of CTR sales are a result of people walking into a Honda dealer planning to buy something else and then "upgrading" to the CTR when they see it on the show floor.

Too much money went into designing and bringing the CTR to North America to stop selling it while they are still selling every one they make at a healthy profit.
I agree with with your first main point, but have a different perspective on your latter one. Increased/extended CTR production is definitely a way to curb ADM, but I suspect Honda never projected the FK8 to turn a good profit margin and may have destined the car to be a junior ā€œhalo carā€ and loss-leader like the ITR and original NSX. FK8ā€™s might very well be worth more in good press and rolling advertising over the years than the low-$30K gross per unit they collect.

Ladyluck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Hatchback Sport
Country flag
I wish Honda didn't do the red interior on the Type R...that's honestly the only thing that's kept me from getting one, I feel like they bastardized it with the red

shimin-gata R

First Name
Kelly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜18 CTR, ā€˜85 FJ60, ā€˜92 FJ80, ā€˜03 RC51
Country flag
I wish Honda didn't do the red interior on the Type R...that's honestly the only thing that's kept me from getting one, I feel like they bastardized it with the red
Have you driven one? The red accents inside should not stop you. Itā€™s a darker red. Really quite comfy inside. Once you live with the car and discover the ā€œonenessā€ the car conveys to the driver......you easily forgive aspects you werenā€™t crazy about. One of the best drivers cars on the market IMO.
Sponsored