b4dkarm4

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 Civic Si
Country flag
Why do I see this so often? Stop and go in manual blah blah blah, I've been driving manuals for 12+ years in one of the worst traffic areas and into NYC. Even when I had my evo with a stage 3 clutch I never once in my life went "wow shifting gears in this makes me want an auto/is unfun." Like do you guys just roll every time someone lets off the break or something? Or is it just pure laziness? I never got that, don't think I ever will. :dunno:
I'm the same way. Been driving a manual for ...... 20 years now. Would never willingly go back to an automatic. And I live in Dallas which has freaking horrendous traffic. We have been doing construction on 75/635/NDT/George Bush/183 for damn near forever. Rush hour traffic around here is insane.

Still, would never get an automatic just because of traffic. *shrug* To each their own I guess.

Wheel_Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Passport Elite, '16 Ducati Multistrada 1200 Enduro
Country flag
I don't think Honda is that stupid to offer the Type R only in an automatic form.
If it were offered only as an Auto or DCT, I wouldn't have spent the past year on this damn forum. The Type R would have been just another half-hearted attempt that proved to be nothing but a disappointment. Current NSX is amazing, but not engaging to drive at anything less than 9/10ths. It's a bore honestly. CTR is engaging at any level and that is in large part due to the wonderful manual transmission.

RobbJK88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic EX Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I'm the same way. Been driving a manual for ...... 20 years now. Would never willingly go back to an automatic. And I live in Dallas which has freaking horrendous traffic. We have been doing construction on 75/635/NDT/George Bush/183 for damn near forever. Rush hour traffic around here is insane.

Still, would never get an automatic just because of traffic. *shrug* To each their own I guess.
Well that settles it then. You and the guy you quoted speak for ALL manual drivers. Why would ANYONE ever think to switch to an automatic transmission to make their commute a bit easier? Never mind that automatics are now typically faster and more fuel efficient than manuals. Why oh why would anyone decide that they want a daily driver that is fun to drive AND a slightly more relaxed ride in a busy stop and go commute day in and day out. Geez.

How about this? If Honda offered an automatic and manual, how would it effect you? You’re just manual elitists that like the idea of your car not being available to a wider audience of buyers. Like I said. Honda already defiled the ethos of the Si and CTR when they went turbo. Offering a quick shifting automatic hardly does anything to dilute the heritage of the car anymore than they already have and if there is still a manual standard on those cars then everyone still gets what they want. Or would it just bother you all too much to have a lowly automatic outshift and out accelerate you on the track?

Maverick1

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW GTI
Well that settles it then. You and the guy you quoted speak for ALL manual drivers. Why would ANYONE ever think to switch to an automatic transmission to make their commute a bit easier? Never mind that automatics are now typically faster and more fuel efficient than manuals. Why oh why would anyone decide that they want a daily driver that is fun to drive AND a slightly more relaxed ride in a busy stop and go commute day in and day out. Geez.
How about this? If Honda offered an automatic and manual, how would it effect you? You’re just manual elitists that like the idea of your car not being available to a wider audience of buyers. Like I said. Honda already defiled the ethos of the Si and CTR when they went turbo. Offering a quick shifting automatic hardly does anything to dilute the heritage of the car anymore than they already have and if there is still a manual standard on those cars then everyone still gets what they want. Or would it just bother you all too much to have a lowly automatic outshift and out accelerate you on the track?
NO AUTOMATIC IN THE CIVIC TYPE R....PERIOD.
If you really need or want dare I say an "automatic Type R" then you can go with the next best thing....a Golf R with a DSG transmission.
If you watch any of the car review videos on Youtube that review a car that comes with both an automatic and a manual transmission, all the automobile journalists breath a sigh of relief when they see a manual through the drivers side window.
There's a good reason for that mate.
People who genuinely love the art and science of driving....choose to drive a manual, to get that extra driver involvement.
You sound like your looking forward to the emergence of the driver-less autonomous cars, so you can pull out your laptop and get some extra work done on your commute.
Please Honda...do not ruin the breed, do not put an automatic in the Civic Type R.
Come to think of it, I've never owned an automatic in over 50 years.
I may be slightly biased on this subject.

Last edited:

keiothic

Banned
Banned
First Name
YoK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 FK8 CW #22485
Country flag
CTR with GT wing = replacement for the $35k MSRP
CTR with updated front and rear bumper = new CTR at $40k MSRP
/bet

KoukiVAB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 CTR, 19 TLX
Country flag
Really tho, if you haven't owned any of the newer Automatic vehicles how would you know they are bad?

I personally don't care as long as they have gears.
It's more about the car than the gearbox. I would choose a DCT CTR or Auto M4 over something like Nissan sentra or Kia Rio with manual without even thinking.
They all deserve the respect.

Except CVT. No CVT for me. lol

Maverick1

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW GTI
Really tho, if you haven't owned any of the newer Automatic vehicles how would you know they are bad?

I personally don't care as long as they have gears.
It's more about the car than the gearbox. I would choose a DCT CTR or Auto M4 over something like Nissan sentra or Kia Rio with manual without even thinking.
They all deserve the respect.

Except CVT. No CVT for me. lol
I've had extended drives in both a Nissan GTR and a Porche 911 Turbo and found both cars lightening quick, but on the ho hum boring side.
I would take a Civic Type R over both of them if I couldn't sell them.
Now if I had the choice of a 911 GT3 manual transmission in the mix, that's my first choice.

FK7_

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Sedan, 2015 Acura MDX Elite
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I’m honestly loving the spoiler on the red hatch there. Would be nice to have another oem option beside the huge wing.

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
I agree with the camp claiming a cheaper variant. The wing alone should net $1-1.5K in savings.

http://hondapartsnetwork.com/assemb...Type-R-Touring-6-Speed-Manual-Tailgate-Type-R

Additionally, we know that Honda already has a separate VIN earmarked for another trim here in the US.

Other than the wing and a couple airflow tweaks, looks like a carryover from the 2018 (on the exterior that is).

To be fair, we should not expect any transmission changes for the 2019/2020 model years - especially with the CTR selling as well as it is. Though they could surprise us and throw in the Accord's 10spd (which admittedly is quite good).

Last edited:

Maximum6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S2000 2005, Type R 2019
Country flag
I expect a transmission change as in fix the gear crunch problems

nuno

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FN2, S2000
The red could be a Type S - it used to be common to have a "general" Civic in Europe with Type R bodywork - so simpler brakes, smaller spoiler but same bumpers would make sense. However I'm not sure regarding three pipe exhaust.

MonkeyBoost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Type R #680 CW, 2011 Mazdaspeed 3
Country flag
Since we are speculating, CVT on the small wang variant!
Even better, DCT w/paddles.
Oh please, let this part of the speculation truly not come to pass......CVT........shift paddles.....on a Type R.....something has to remain sacred in all of this......I will make it my mission to help ensure the survival of at least one 3-pedal car in this world :)

The Z06 lost it's purity of purpose when they introduced automatic transmissions a few years ago, and it was a sad day. Doesn't anyone want to DRIVE a car anymore?
Honda already "killed" the sacred heritage of the Type R and Si models the day they decided to turbo charge models that were always best known for being naturally aspirated until this point. Did it ruin the cars? I'd say they're better for it. Offering an automatic option (not killing the manual option) doesn't make these any less sacred, it simply opens them up to a wider audience of those who'd instead go to a competitor (because they offer an auto option) or simply don't want to deal with a manual (we exist... stop and go traffic every single day is not fun in a manual all the time). I agree tho it shouldn't/wouldn't be a CVT... a CVT couldn't handle the torque... either the 10-speed auto from the accord or the 8 speed DCT from acura would be ideal options, especially on a CTR that was more touring oriented.

NO AUTOMATIC IN THE CIVIC TYPE R....PERIOD.
If you really need or want dare I say an "automatic Type R" then you can go with the next best thing....a Golf R with a DSG transmission.
If you watch any of the car review videos on Youtube that review a car that comes with both an automatic and a manual transmission, all the automobile journalists breath a sigh of relief when they see a manual through the drivers side window.
There's a good reason for that mate.
People who genuinely love the art and science of driving....choose to drive a manual, to get that extra driver involvement.
You sound like your looking forward to the emergence of the driver-less autonomous cars, so you can pull out your laptop and get some extra work done on your commute.
Please Honda...do not ruin the breed, do not put an automatic in the Civic Type R.
Definitely won't have an automatic...Honda has already directly commented on this. Now if they make a lower trim like a Type S or something like a Si+ type trim then maybe...but you wont see anything with the Type R badge with an automatic...too heavy.

https://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars/a10260872/the-civic-type-r-no-automatic-transmission/
Sponsored