Car(s):
    2007 Civic Si Coupe
  2. b4dkarm4

b4dkarm4 Member

First Name:
    Michael
    Car(s):
    2002 Civic Si
    I'm the same way. Been driving a manual for ...... 20 years now. Would never willingly go back to an automatic. And I live in Dallas which has freaking horrendous traffic. We have been doing construction on 75/635/NDT/George Bush/183 for damn near forever. Rush hour traffic around here is insane.

Still, would never get an automatic just because of traffic. *shrug* To each their own I guess.

dawsonj87 and 18CarEnthusiast18 thanked this.
  3. Wheel_Guy

Wheel_Guy Senior Member

Car(s):
    '19 Passport Elite, '16 Ducati Multistrada 1200 Enduro
    If it were offered only as an Auto or DCT, I wouldn't have spent the past year on this damn forum. The Type R would have been just another half-hearted attempt that proved to be nothing but a disappointment. Current NSX is amazing, but not engaging to drive at anything less than 9/10ths. It's a bore honestly. CTR is engaging at any level and that is in large part due to the wonderful manual transmission.

Meat Hammer thanked this.
  4. RobbJK88

RobbJK88 Senior Member

Graphic Designer
    Car(s):
    2019 Honda Civic EX Coupe
    Well that settles it then. You and the guy you quoted speak for ALL manual drivers. Why would ANYONE ever think to switch to an automatic transmission to make their commute a bit easier? Never mind that automatics are now typically faster and more fuel efficient than manuals. Why oh why would anyone decide that they want a daily driver that is fun to drive AND a slightly more relaxed ride in a busy stop and go commute day in and day out. Geez.

How about this? If Honda offered an automatic and manual, how would it effect you? You’re just manual elitists that like the idea of your car not being available to a wider audience of buyers. Like I said. Honda already defiled the ethos of the Si and CTR when they went turbo. Offering a quick shifting automatic hardly does anything to dilute the heritage of the car anymore than they already have and if there is still a manual standard on those cars then everyone still gets what they want. Or would it just bother you all too much to have a lowly automatic outshift and out accelerate you on the track?

5. b4dkarm4

b4dkarm4 Member

First Name:
    Michael
    Car(s):
    2002 Civic Si
    I said to each their own. Don't get your crankshaft into a twist girl.

pdiizeru, dawsonj87, MonkeyBoost and 3 others thanked this.
  6. Maverick1

Maverick1 Senior Member

First Name:
    Doug
    Car(s):
    VW GTI
    #36 Maverick1, Jul 16, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2018
    NO AUTOMATIC IN THE CIVIC TYPE R....PERIOD.
    If you really need or want dare I say an "automatic Type R" then you can go with the next best thing....a Golf R with a DSG transmission.
    If you watch any of the car review videos on Youtube that review a car that comes with both an automatic and a manual transmission, all the automobile journalists breath a sigh of relief when they see a manual through the drivers side window.
    There's a good reason for that mate.
    People who genuinely love the art and science of driving....choose to drive a manual, to get that extra driver involvement.
    You sound like your looking forward to the emergence of the driver-less autonomous cars, so you can pull out your laptop and get some extra work done on your commute.
    Please Honda...do not ruin the breed, do not put an automatic in the Civic Type R.
    Come to think of it, I've never owned an automatic in over 50 years.
    I may be slightly biased on this subject.

7. keiothic

keiothic Senior Member

First Name:
    YoK
    Car(s):
    '19 FK8 CW #22485
    CTR with GT wing = replacement for the $35k MSRP
    CTR with updated front and rear bumper = new CTR at $40k MSRP
    /bet

17CivicTypeR_Brian thanked this.
  8. KoukiVAB

KoukiVAB Member

Car(s):
    18 CTR, 19 TLX
    Really tho, if you haven't owned any of the newer Automatic vehicles how would you know they are bad?

I personally don't care as long as they have gears.
    It's more about the car than the gearbox. I would choose a DCT CTR or Auto M4 over something like Nissan sentra or Kia Rio with manual without even thinking.
    They all deserve the respect.

Except CVT. No CVT for me. lol

9. Maverick1

Maverick1 Senior Member

First Name:
    Doug
    Car(s):
    VW GTI
    I've had extended drives in both a Nissan GTR and a Porche 911 Turbo and found both cars lightening quick, but on the ho hum boring side.
    I would take a Civic Type R over both of them if I couldn't sell them.
    Now if I had the choice of a 911 GT3 manual transmission in the mix, that's my first choice.

10. CWCTR2018

CWCTR2018 Senior Member

First Name:
    John
    Car(s):
    CTR
    I bet the smaller wing version will be called the type s

11. FK7_

FK7_ Senior Member

Car(s):
    2017 Civic Hatchback sport
    I’m honestly loving the spoiler on the red hatch there. Would be nice to have another oem option beside the huge wing.

12. Design

Design Senior Member

Car(s):
    09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
    #42 Design, Jul 17, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2018
    I agree with the camp claiming a cheaper variant. The wing alone should net $1-1.5K in savings.

http://hondapartsnetwork.com/assemb...Type-R-Touring-6-Speed-Manual-Tailgate-Type-R

Additionally, we know that Honda already has a separate VIN earmarked for another trim here in the US.

Other than the wing and a couple airflow tweaks, looks like a carryover from the 2018 (on the exterior that is).

To be fair, we should not expect any transmission changes for the 2019/2020 model years - especially with the CTR selling as well as it is. Though they could surprise us and throw in the Accord's 10spd (which admittedly is quite good).

13. Maximum6

Maximum6 Senior Member

Car(s):
    S2000, GTI
    I expect a transmission change as in fix the gear crunch problems

14. nuno

nuno New Member

Car(s):
    FN2, S2000
    The red could be a Type S - it used to be common to have a "general" Civic in Europe with Type R bodywork - so simpler brakes, smaller spoiler but same bumpers would make sense. However I'm not sure regarding three pipe exhaust.

15. MonkeyBoost

MonkeyBoost Senior Member

Collision Estimator
    Car(s):
    2017 Type R #680 CW, 2011 Mazdaspeed 3
    Definitely won't have an automatic...Honda has already directly commented on this. Now if they make a lower trim like a Type S or something like a Si+ type trim then maybe...but you wont see anything with the Type R badge with an automatic...too heavy.

https://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars/a10260872/the-civic-type-r-no-automatic-transmission/

Meat Hammer and tuxmonkey thanked this.