2019 Civic Touring Coupe tires

PhilF

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 CRV EX-L Platinum White Pearl/Ivory, 2020 CRV EX-L Crystal Black Pearl/Grey
Country flag
I'm taking delivery of a 2019 Touring Coupe on Monday, when I test drove it last week, noticed it came with Continental 235/40/18 ProContacts ? I have not had positive experiences with Continental tires in the past, so for a nominal price the dealer offered to change them out for Michelins. Got a set of 235/40/18 Michelin Primacy Tour A/S, a new tire that supposedly offers better winter traction and is quieter than the Primacy MXM4. Anyone have any experience with this new tire? I'm aware that this size & profile tire is not ideal in the snow, but, being retired, if it gets really bad, I'll stay home & run the snowblower. Traction is an issue, but a quieter, smoother ride is my primary concern. 40 aspect ratio tires are not going to give "boulevard" ride, but I'm looking at ride quality. Thanks in advance for any input on these new Michelins
Phil
Sponsored

OP
OP

PhilF

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 CRV EX-L Platinum White Pearl/Ivory, 2020 CRV EX-L Crystal Black Pearl/Grey
Country flag
Well, got the car on Monday, 256 miles now on the car with the Michelin Primacy Tours, am very pleased with them, ride is smooth & quiet as I had hoped, have not really pushed the car, being kinda gentle with it for the first 500-1000 miles, but, these tires are a real treat on exit ramps, grip is effortless, no strain or drama, so far, I'm impressed.
Just as an aside, I think the sidewall design is more attractive, smoother and looks easier to keep clean than the Continental ContiPro, only drove the ContiPros for a few miles, initial impression was that they were somewhat harsher riding, just a seat-of-the-pants judgement. I'm sure the Continentals have their fans, but based on previous experience with ProContacts, I prefer the Michelins

Last edited:
OP
OP

PhilF

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
How is grip in the rain on wet pavement?
In my one outing in the rain , excellent, car feels very sure-footed, really noticeable on exit ramps, like driving on suction cups.

OP
OP

PhilF

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Thanks, @PhilF - The Pirellis on my '16 Coupe are really good other than accelerating from a stop in wet conditions.
We've had fairly steady rain in Central Pa today, tonight in a moderate rain on the interstate, with very wet roads 65 mph, up fairly steep long hill, Absolutely no hint of hydroplaning, seems rock solid, very grippy on exit ramps that had water running across them. Dry & wet, grippy, smooth, quiet & predictable, have good expectations for light to moderate snow, time will tell. Really liking these tires a lot!

wilbur_the_goose

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic Coupe Touring, '14 BMW 328i Sport Line
Country flag
We've had fairly steady rain in Central Pa today, tonight in a moderate rain on the interstate, with very wet roads 65 mph, up fairly steep long hill, Absolutely no hint of hydroplaning, seems rock solid, very grippy on exit ramps that had water running across them. Dry & wet, grippy, smooth, quiet & predictable, have good expectations for light to moderate snow, time will tell. Really liking these tires a lot!
How about sporty acceleration after a complete stop?

OP
OP

PhilF

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Haven't tried "sporty acceleration " yet, only at 800 miles, however, at a local 3-way intersection with fast thru traffic, from a stop sign on a fairly steep grade with slippery wet asphalt, pulled out in traffic "briskly", while turning left, no discernible slip or wheel spin. It's a busy, dangerous intersection and you've gotta be quick with any traffic. Still very impressed by the rock-solid cornering feel, no sense of strain, no drama, just goes around the corner. They work for me
Sponsored