2019 Civic Touring Coupe subwoofer rattle??

Nash

First Name
Nash
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic touring coupe
Country flag
I'm looking at 2019 Civic Touring Coupe and have read about 2016-2017 subwoofer having the annoying rattle. Does anybody know if it's been fixed with the 2019? I test drove the car and cranked the bass and subwoofer and was surprised at the lack of punch the sound system has in the bass department and did not hear any unusual rattle. Is it something that doesn't show up initially, but after X amount of miles starts rattling? Thanks
Sponsored

kperalta

AluminiumCivic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
If you're going for sound quality avoid the premium sound system, even though its starts on the ext for the coupe. You're better off taking that couple grand you'll save and doing an aftermarket setup. The sub sucks rattle or no rattle.

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Civic Si
Country flag
I'm looking at 2019 Civic Touring Coupe and have read about 2016-2017 subwoofer having the annoying rattle. Does anybody know if it's been fixed with the 2019? I test drove the car and cranked the bass and subwoofer and was surprised at the lack of punch the sound system has in the bass department and did not hear any unusual rattle. Is it something that doesn't show up initially, but after X amount of miles starts rattling? Thanks
I’m worndering the same thing. My 17 si coupe w the premium sound system blew the sub a few months ago. My dealer replaced it under warranty and it blew again a few weeks later. They then tried to deny another replacement bc it was replaced already. “ user error” they claimed. (All settings equalized btw). Dropped it off at another dealership tonight so fingers crossed they cover it.

On a side note, has anyone found a solution to make sure it doesn’t blow/rattle again?

kperalta

AluminiumCivic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
I’m worndering the same thing. My 17 si coupe w the premium sound system blew the sub a few months ago. My dealer replaced it under warranty and it blew again a few weeks later. They then tried to deny another replacement bc it was replaced already. “ user error” they claimed. (All settings equalized btw). Dropped it off at another dealership tonight so fingers crossed they cover it.

On a side note, has anyone found a solution to make sure it doesn’t blow/rattle again?
What volume do you consistently listen to it at? I've pushed it a few times at 28 or so but never for hours. I mainly listen to it @ 18 or 21 if I'm feeling like I want it loud. I even have svc and my sub hasn't blown. From what I understand, you can't adjust the gain on the amp so the only way "user error" is listening to it at too high of a volume for extended periods of time.

mvela

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic sedan lx 6mt and 2018 Honda Civic hatchback ex auto
Country flag
My car did not come with a sub because I knew I was just going to rip it out anyways to install my own system. But when I installed my two 10’s in the trunk my back dash rattled like crazy. I got back there and started pushing on certain spots to pinpoint the rattle and noticed it was coming from the third brake light rattling against the dash. So I removed the back dash and unclipped the third brake light from the dash. That’s right, the third brake light is clipped into the bottom side of the back dash. So I then put weather stripping in between the light and the dash and clipped it back in. Then I installed the dash back in. That loud annoying rattle is gone. So crank it up to make it rattle and push down on that third brake light. If it gets quiet then that’s most likely the problem. Mine was rattling so loud you could even hear it outside the car. So there was no way I was leaving it like that. I hate rattles!

OP
OP

Nash

First Name
Nash
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic touring coupe
Country flag
If you're going for sound quality avoid the premium sound system, even though its starts on the ext for the coupe. You're better off taking that couple grand you'll save and doing an aftermarket setup. The sub sucks rattle or no rattle.
I ended up buying the EX instead. Figured with the money I saved not buying the Touring that I can afford to swap out the shitty stock subwoofer for an aftermarket.

kperalta

AluminiumCivic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
I ended up buying the EX instead. Figured with the money I saved not buying the Touring that I can afford to swap out the shitty stock subwoofer for an aftermarket.
Yes :p dm if you want some help picking out a subwoofer/amp

PhilF

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 CRV EX-L Platinum White Pearl/Ivory, 2020 CRV EX-L Crystal Black Pearl/Grey
Country flag
Traded my 16 EX-L Coupe on my current 19 Touring Coupe. Apparently the sound systems, I believe they are the same, 450 (allegedly) watts, 10-speakers. Playing the same music from my now obsolete ipod Nano (going to replace that too) I have noticed a definite decrease in the depth and punch of, not only the low bass, but the entire system from the 16 to the 19. Have tweaked the controls to some, but not much effect. The only conclusions I can come to is the increased insulation/dampening in the 19 and perhaps Honda has changed speaker (read: cheaper) suppliers. Is it easy to upgrade the sub in a Coupe without major dissasembly? Any recommendations or suggestions?:dunno:
BTY. No rattles, even with the sub boosted up, Stairway To Heaven just ain't cutting it the way it used to.

kperalta

AluminiumCivic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
Traded my 16 EX-L Coupe on my current 19 Touring Coupe. Apparently the sound systems, I believe they are the same, 450 (allegedly) watts, 10-speakers. Playing the same music from my now obsolete ipod Nano (going to replace that too) I have noticed a definite decrease in the depth and punch of, not only the low bass, but the entire system from the 16 to the 19. Have tweaked the controls to some, but not much effect. The only conclusions I can come to is the increased insulation/dampening in the 19 and perhaps Honda has changed speaker (read: cheaper) suppliers. Is it easy to upgrade the sub in a Coupe without major dissasembly? Any recommendations or suggestions?:dunno:
BTY. No rattles, even with the sub boosted up, Stairway To Heaven just ain't cutting it the way it used to.
I mean if your car is brand new the speakers need a bit of time to break in

PhilF

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 CRV EX-L Platinum White Pearl/Ivory, 2020 CRV EX-L Crystal Black Pearl/Grey
Country flag
I mean if your car is brand new the speakers need a bit of time to break in
Perhaps you jest?
That's a new concept to me, spent 10 years in audio engineering and installation/real-time analysis of sound systems, never found a driver (speaker) that needed conditioning or aging to perform as designed, mine got plenty of break-in time on a 10-hour each way trip to Indianapolis recently, still sound the same.

Last edited:

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Civic Si
Country flag
What volume do you consistently listen to it at? I've pushed it a few times at 28 or so but never for hours. I mainly listen to it @ 18 or 21 if I'm feeling like I want it loud. I even have svc and my sub hasn't blown. From what I understand, you can't adjust the gain on the amp so the only way "user error" is listening to it at too high of a volume for extended periods of time.
Mostly 10 15 or 20. 25 if I’m pushing it. 90% of the time I’m streaming rap through Apple CarPlay on Spotify. Lol. I’m too ocd to use odd numbers other than ending in 5

kperalta

AluminiumCivic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
Mostly 10 15 or 20. 25 if I’m pushing it. 90% of the time I’m streaming rap through Apple CarPlay on Spotify. Lol. I’m too ocd to use odd numbers other than ending in 5
Well that dealer is tripping then lol my sub is still kicking and I've had my touring for 3 years. Granted, I'm pretty sure it's blown. But I'm in the process of getting an audio frog gb12 installed

JetLife

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si
Country flag
I had the back deck lid rattle and slapped in some sound deadening. I was so impressed I put it in the doors too. I’m blown away by the difference in music quality and reduction in road noise. I still threw a JBL 12” in the trunk because even the Si premium audio leaves much to be desired in the bass department.

Honda Civic 10th gen 2019 Civic Touring Coupe subwoofer rattle?? 2D35F187-27AF-4754-8F72-8B06151C2F38

Honda Civic 10th gen 2019 Civic Touring Coupe subwoofer rattle?? F5D2F51A-59DE-4B59-8608-28BFD7A1B32E

Honda Civic 10th gen 2019 Civic Touring Coupe subwoofer rattle?? 49157517-BA74-45C2-85AF-742D217850BA

MutatedMango

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Civic Si FC3
Country flag
Idk the difference but my Si definitely rattles with certain bass heavy songs

rramrattan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Touring WOP
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I had the back deck lid rattle and slapped in some sound deadening. I was so impressed I put it in the doors too. I’m blown away by the difference in music quality and reduction in road noise. I still threw a JBL 12” in the trunk because even the Si premium audio leaves much to be desired in the bass department.

2D35F187-27AF-4754-8F72-8B06151C2F38.jpeg

F5D2F51A-59DE-4B59-8608-28BFD7A1B32E.jpeg

49157517-BA74-45C2-85AF-742D217850BA.jpeg
Did you put sound deadening on the actual plastic rear deck lid? I just sound deadened my rear deck after changing out all the speakers in it, and there was no rattle at all. Bass was really clean. However, when I slapped the plastic deck back on, the thing rattles like crazy again.

I used the sorbothane balls and Honda warranty fix (folded cardboard under it through the trunk holes) to fix the rattle before - but with the aftermarket sub, those fixes don't seem to hold up the same way.