2019 Civic Sport 2.0L vs 2018 Civic 2.0L ...Different MPG?

Royal_Purple_Oil_Filter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
Hi.

I'm curious why the new 2019 Civic Sport 2.0L has different MPG compared to the 2018 Civic that has 2.0L. The engine seems the same and the gear ratios, especially the MT, are the same.

Does anybody know why this is the case?
Sponsored

DrToothache

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The sport has the heavier wheels from the Si trim. This is probably also why the touring has less gas mileage for the 2019 year as opposed to the 2018 model.

OP
OP

Royal_Purple_Oil_Filter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
The sport has the heavier wheels from the Si trim. This is probably also why the touring has less gas mileage for the 2019 year as opposed to the 2018 model.
Thanks for the input. I've also just thought about the heavier wheels but I'm still kind of skeptical if that's enough to pull down the MPG city by 3 and MPG highway by a whopping 4 (Civic Coupe MT in comparison). Is there any throttle response difference? Maybe Sport has more aggressive throttle response?

jred721

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Accord Sport
Country flag
Civic sales are declining drastically because of the crossover boom so Honda had to add some weight to the car to make it more appealing to buyers and move more units (kind of ironic). With the heavier wheels and the added HDMI tip with a different styling kit it is just enough for Honda to drop down it's MPG rating a tad bit just to be conservative and on the safe side, I honestly wouldn't pay much attention to it as in the real world driving the car there is not going to any be real difference in MPG's. I'm pretty sure though there is no difference in throttle response or anything and the engine is making the same amount of power as last years models too its all just styling upgrades to make the car sell more.

xaviersayys

Xavier
First Name
Xavier
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic EX-T
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I have a 2017 EXT and put the Si rims on them, and I haven’t noticed a difference in my MPGs and throttle response.

Gruber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Touring; 2009 Honda CR-V EX-L
Country flag
With CVT:
2018 LX 2751 lbgas mileage: 31/40/34
2019 LX 2751 lb gas mileage: 30/38/33
2019 Sp 2795 lb gas mileage: 29/37/32

With MT:
2018 LX 2742 lb gas mileage: 28/40/32
2019 LX 2742 lb gas mileage: 25/36/29
2019 Sp ???? lb gas mileage: 25/36/29

There is no difference between 2019 LX and Sport in MT. There is a small 1 mpg difference between 2019 LX and Sport in CVT.
There is a large difference between 2018 and 2019 models in MT, and a smaller one in CVT.

Overall gas mileage in MT dropped by 4 mpg.:confused1:
I think this is just a more realistic EPA mileage estimate. No reason why else would the gas mileage decrease by 10%.

I guess the 2.0L never had the 40 mpg overall. The 1.5L turbo EPA mileages didn't drop for 2019 from what I see, so now there is more gas mileage difference between turbo and no turbo.

Last edited:

Deezy

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic LX Sedan 6MT (FC2)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Overall gas mileage in MT dropped by 4 mpg in MT.:confused1:
I think this is just a more realistic EPA mileage estimate. No reason why else would the gas mileage decrease by 10%.

I guess the 2.0L never had the 40 mpg overall.
That's what I'm thinking. Now that they have had a couple years of feedback from owners with real world experience and feedback they've lowered the bar... Or it's an evil plot to steer people towards the CVT and phase out the MT:stirthepot:

kwk1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic LX Sedan CVT white
Country flag
Remember too that gas in winter is a different formulation which decreases fuel economy.

mvela

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic sedan lx 6mt and 2018 Honda Civic hatchback ex auto
Country flag
Is that true about the fuel having a different formulation for winter? Because I did notice my gas mileage went down once winter hit. Probably went down 3mpg average

kwk1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Is that true about the fuel having a different formulation for winter? Because I did notice my gas mileage went down once winter hit. Probably went down 3mpg average
It is true but I'm not sure it gets cold enough in TX that they would change the formulation.
Also there's this: "Cold weather and winter driving conditions can reduce your fuel economy significantly. Fuel economy tests show that, in short-trip city driving, a conventional gasoline car's gas mileage is about 12% lower at 20°F than it would be at 77°F. It can drop as much as 22% for very short trips (3 to 4 miles)".

Gruber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Touring; 2009 Honda CR-V EX-L
Country flag
The issue is not fuel freezing in the winter, but fuel volatility in the summer. Summer blends need to have low volatility, which in practice means that they have to be purer gasoline.
In winter the fuel can contain more cheaper components such as butane and ethanol, which increase the volatility.

As a side effect, the winter blend indeed generally also may start freezing at a bit lower temperature, but these are extremely low temperatures. In any case, freezing temperature is not the goal of the refineries and gas stations when formulating the summer/winter blends where most people actually live.

kwk1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
The issue is not fuel freezing in the winter, but fuel volatility in the summer. Summer blends need to have low volatility, which in practice means that they have to be purer gasoline.
In winter the fuel can contain more cheaper components such as butane and ethanol, which increase the volatility.

As a side effect, the winter blend indeed generally also may start freezing at a bit lower temperature, but these are extremely low temperatures. In any case, freezing temperature is not the goal of the refineries and gas stations when formulating the summer/winter blends where most people actually live.
Volatility is for sure important for most places but where I live it can get cold.
-"Winnipeg, Manitoba has the coldest winter weather of any major Canadian city. It ranks first for the lowest average temperatures. Winnipeg also is Canada's city that most often drops to -30 degrees Celsius (-22 degrees Fahrenheit) or below and it is least likely to have a day above freezing during winter".-
It is also not uncommon for the temp here to creep close to -40 degrees.

mvela

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic sedan lx 6mt and 2018 Honda Civic hatchback ex auto
Country flag
Yeah I looked it up and Texas also has winter blend. Yes it’s about volatility and helping pollution
Sponsored