First Name
Turbo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sti, 2019 Si, Fr-S, 350z, Evo X
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Wasn't referring to you, i was speaking in a general sense. That last comment was pent up aggression aimed at my customers who think more money on subs=louder. W3s are great, but the only JL amp I like is the VXi.
haha, they must be driving you nuts. Ill check out the JL Vxi

one question since you know your stuff, heres a factory xd1000/1v2:
Honda Civic 10th gen 2019 Civic Si Coupe - Speaker Upgrade g13698257-o

I have input voltage on high, infrasonic filter on off, lp filter mode on 12, filter freq at 90, input sens set almost horizontal (closer to lowest setting), and sub turned up 75% in head unit- anything drastically wrong here?
Sponsored

consensual_induction

First Name
Turbo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
also op, have you looked at underseat subs?

SDAlexander8

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17’ Si FC3, 17’ Accord 2dr V6 6MT, 22’ RL RTL-E
Country flag
Anybody else think the stock speakers sound great when playing music through a plugged in phone? XM audio is awful though

kperalta

AluminiumCivic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag

g13698257-o.jpg

I have input voltage on high, infrasonic filter on off, lp filter mode on 12, filter freq at 90, input sens set almost horizontal (closer to lowest setting), and sub turned up 75% in head unit- anything drastically wrong here?
Input voltage is based on what it's receiving from the input. Your amp will have its own designations for low-level and high level. Typically, if you're tapping speakers and not using rcas of a head unit it's high input voltage. Although, while in most cases RCAS are low level, taking RCA outs from a line driver is high level because of how high the voltage from a line driver is lol. Infrasonic filter is essentially a high pass filter, usually set to freq's below the tuning frequency of a port in a ported enclosure. Ports are tuned to the resonant frequency of the subs and you don't typically want any frequencies below that to play. If your enclosure is sealed it doesn't matter.

The LPF slope is up to you. If you like 12dB slopes, keep it like that. I usually run 24dB slopes but that's completely dependent. The crossover point aka filter freq set to 90 is fine, as long as the sub isn't beaming it should sound pretty good, but 80 is usually my go to and again, if it sounds fine to you, leave it. Highest I'll ever go on a sub xover is 125, but i rarely even go that high. Some subs will sound horrible like that.

Now your gain is where you messing up fam. Get a 40hz test tone and play it through. Set your sub in the HU back to the middle. Then, turn up the head unit til the humm of the 40hz turns to a buzz. Then slowly back down until turns back into a hum. Then, turn your gain up until it turns into a buzz again, then back off until its a hum. Now your gains are set properly by ear.

kperalta

AluminiumCivic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag

g13698257-o.jpg

Also a better way to properly set your gain is with a Distortion Detector but those are expensive.

consensual_induction

First Name
Turbo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Input voltage is based on what it's receiving from the input. Your amp will have its own designations for low-level and high level. Typically, if you're tapping speakers and not using rcas of a head unit it's high input voltage. Although, while in most cases RCAS are low level, taking RCA outs from a line driver is high level because of how high the voltage from a line driver is lol. Infrasonic filter is essentially a high pass filter, usually set to freq's below the tuning frequency of a port in a ported enclosure. Ports are tuned to the resonant frequency of the subs and you don't typically want any frequencies below that to play. If your enclosure is sealed it doesn't matter.

The LPF slope is up to you. If you like 12dB slopes, keep it like that. I usually run 24dB slopes but that's completely dependent. The crossover point aka filter freq set to 90 is fine, as long as the sub isn't beaming it should sound pretty good, but 80 is usually my go to and again, if it sounds fine to you, leave it. Highest I'll ever go on a sub xover is 125, but i rarely even go that high. Some subs will sound horrible like that.

Now your gain is where you messing up fam. Get a 40hz test tone and play it through. Set your sub in the HU back to the middle. Then, turn up the head unit til the humm of the 40hz turns to a buzz. Then slowly back down until turns back into a hum. Then, turn your gain up until it turns into a buzz again, then back off until its a hum. Now your gains are set properly by ear.
mad appreciation, thank you.

i have sealed enclosure, rca from head unit (LOC), but ill fix the gain! It would occasionally...warble...? idk how to describe that. but srsly thank you, you are very knowledgeable

consensual_induction

First Name
Turbo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Anybody else think the stock speakers sound great when playing music through a plugged in phone? XM audio is awful though
Yes i don't even like the Bluetooth quality lol
wired > all, for pretty much all applications too imo. I use wired controllers for games, and wired ethernet for pc. big fan over bluetooth in terms of fidelity.

kperalta

AluminiumCivic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
mad appreciation, thank you.

i have sealed enclosure, rca from head unit (LOC), but ill fix the gain! It would occasionally...warble...? idk how to describe that. but srsly thank you, you are very knowledgeable
Unless it's an LC2i that loc is probably low level so switch that to low. Also the warble is probably distortion.

WhiteSi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si
Country flag
When I bought my Si the biggest con was that the stereo was "utter crap".
If you just want a decent stereo with medium bass, there is a much cheaper way you can try for $25.

My Amazon shopping cart still has all the speakers and amp I was planning to buy.
Rooting the head unit, and installing Viper4Android was a night and day revelation.
If you are keeping the stock head unit, it would be a must, even if you are upgrading speakers, as the flaw in the Si stereo is a bad equalization in the head unit (DSP).

Check out this thread:
https://www.civicx.com/threads/if-y...w-o-upgrading-sound-system.38773/#post-641340

OP
OP
j_si19

j_si19

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Coupe Si, 2001 Ford Mustang Cobra
Country flag
Thanks for the discussion. So I'm going to tap thr signal from the front and right and left kicker panel speakers to my powered sub. What's the best way to route the wires without having to tap into the factory wire? I want to be able to tap into the wire harness I have connecting the front speaker. How hard is it to get the wires into the front door? Does that make sense?

OP
OP
j_si19

j_si19

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
When I bought my Si the biggest con was that the stereo was "utter crap".
If you just want a decent stereo with medium bass, there is a much cheaper way you can try for $25.

My Amazon shopping cart still has all the speakers and amp I was planning to buy.
Rooting the head unit, and installing Viper4Android was a night and day revelation.
If you are keeping the stock head unit, it would be a must, even if you are upgrading speakers, as the flaw in the Si stereo is a bad equalization in the head unit (DSP).

Check out this thread:
https://www.civicx.com/threads/if-y...w-o-upgrading-sound-system.38773/#post-641340
Oh yes. I already did that. I agree it makes a lot of a difference! I have the front speakers in now. They sound much fuller than the stock. I can definitely hear a difference.

kperalta

AluminiumCivic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
Thanks for the discussion. So I'm going to tap thr signal from the front and right and left kicker panel speakers to my powered sub. What's the best way to route the wires without having to tap into the factory wire? I want to be able to tap into the wire harness I have connecting the front speaker. How hard is it to get the wires into the front door? Does that make sense?
No. Just no. Military splice in the wires. Super hard to get into the boot. It's not worth it

OP
OP
j_si19

j_si19

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
No. Just no. Military splice in the wires. Super hard to get into the boot. It's not worth it
Yes I'm realizing that now. It's so frustrating with all that I read about just "tap into the front speakers" ... Is it even possible to get to them? I can splice into wires, that's not the issue, but how the hell do I find them?
Sponsored