First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
So i have a 2019 civic Si coupe, total of 8,000 miles. Installed D2 lowering springs about 5,000 miles ago. Over the past 2 weeks or so during my highway driving (60mph and up) noticed a terrible vibration felt in the seat and floor boards of the vehicle along some vibration in the steering wheel. Checking over the tires today i found the rear tires are wearing at an alarming fast rate, i expected some camber wear with the drop but I've got cupping on the inner edges pretty badly. I've attached pictures below (rear tires on the left). Is anyone else having this issue? I double checked all the suspension components and shocks, ect... all at proper toque and shocks not leaking. Front tires are wearing great, and as i ran the same springs on my previous 2017 civic ex hatchback for over 50,000 miles with little to no tire wear i didn't think an alignment was necessary with this one, could it be possible this is where i went wrong?? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Honda Civic 10th gen 2019 Civic Si Coupe rear tire cupping!? 4 tires .JPG

Honda Civic 10th gen 2019 Civic Si Coupe rear tire cupping!? 4 tires 2.JPG

Honda Civic 10th gen 2019 Civic Si Coupe rear tire cupping!? 4 tires 3.JPG

Honda Civic 10th gen 2019 Civic Si Coupe rear tire cupping!? car1.JPG

Honda Civic 10th gen 2019 Civic Si Coupe rear tire cupping!? front tires .JPG

Honda Civic 10th gen 2019 Civic Si Coupe rear tire cupping!? rear tires .JPG

Honda Civic 10th gen 2019 Civic Si Coupe rear tire cupping!? susp.JPG

Honda Civic 10th gen 2019 Civic Si Coupe rear tire cupping!? susp2.JPG

Honda Civic 10th gen 2019 Civic Si Coupe rear tire cupping!? susp3.JPG

Honda Civic 10th gen 2019 Civic Si Coupe rear tire cupping!? susp4.JPG

Honda Civic 10th gen 2019 Civic Si Coupe rear tire cupping!? susp5.JPG

Jeffers

First Name
Jeffers
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Si Coupe purchased on 11-24-19
Country flag
Had that problem with our Honda CRV , and everything is stock on that car. I know what you mean when you say terrible vibration brotha'!
The safest advice I can give you is get an alignment.
On the CRV I did a DIY alignment and got lucky!

Some guys lower the front to get faster handling with EVO's.
So you could put the stock springs back in the rear and see it you like the change in geometry.

Last edited:

ShadowFiend

SanaBanana
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si
Country flag
I'm actually at a dealer right now cause I can't bare the cupping noise and the fact that the car is pointing towards the right when the steering wheel is straight. Hopefully the mechanics here are good enough to notice

JT Si

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Car
Country flag
Yeah....

It sounds like you didn't get an alignment or install camber arms with those springs. The extreme 1.9" drop puts your rear camber too far out of spec to just let it be.

Did you cut the bump stops when you installed the springs?

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
If you can get your Toe alignment in spec, preferably from a shop that does racing alignments, you'll notice a huge improvement. But I can tell already that those tires are done.

Jeffers

First Name
Jeffers
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Si Coupe purchased on 11-24-19
Country flag
If you can get your Toe alignment in spec, preferably from a shop that does racing alignments, you'll notice a huge improvement. But I can tell already that those tires are done.
It's either too much toe-in [case with the rear of my CRV] or camber thrust caused by too much negative camber.

CanadiaegeanBlue

First Name
Humza
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si Sedan - Aegean Blue Metallic
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
You have to get rear camber arms after lowering your car - K-Tuned, SPC, and some others make it. I have the K-tuned ones. Also, rotate your wheels and tires more frequently once lowered to distribute wear more evenly.

Also, get your car aligned and post a scan/picture here

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
It's either too much toe-in [case with the rear of my CRV] or camber thrust caused by too much negative camber.
My money is on a severe Toe misalignment. The third pic clearly shows feathered wear on the bottom two tires. And the top two aren't far behind.

Camber is also a factor here. But the heat buildup on the inner edge suggests the tire was being scrubbed pretty good. My hunch is that Toe is off by at least 1-2* in the rear.

OP
OP
James96

James96

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Thank you guys for the responses, I've got a new set of Truhart rear camber and toe arms ordered along with 2 new tires. once they get here I'll get some pictures of the before and after alignment specs.

RKS17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G37s
Country flag
I assume the Si has 0 adjustability with the OEM setup or simply not enough to handle a 1.9" drop (understandable)?

JT Si

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Car
Country flag
I assume the Si has 0 adjustability with the OEM setup or simply not enough to handle a 1.9" drop (understandable)?
The rear camber is not adjustable without upgrading to adjustable upper control arms.

The rear toe is adjustable, however I am unsure of the range. I assume the upgraded adjustable rear toe arms offer increased range.

RKS17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G37s
Country flag
The rear camber is not adjustable without upgrading to adjustable upper control arms.

The rear toe is adjustable, however I am unsure of the range. I assume the upgraded adjustable rear toe arms offer increased range.
Toe is a more important than camber. I'm NOT lowering the Si but are there quality springs that give a more conservative drop?

Neddih

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Toe is a more important than camber. I'm NOT lowering the Si but are there quality springs that give a more conservative drop?

I think the eibach pro kit is more conservative

JT Si

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Car
Country flag
The least drop I've seen is the whiteline lowering springs at 20mm. I don't like the change is spring rate bias they present so I'm looking at the Swift springs.

The Pro Kit is 0.9"(23mm)

Last edited:

mauiSI19

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic SI 2019
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
On eibach prokit. Once it settled the gap between fender and tire was finger width.

absolutely 0 issues.
Sponsored