2019 Civic EX-L Check Engine Light P0461 code

ufatbasted

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic EX-L
Country flag
Hi Guys

My new civic (under 300 miles on it) threw a check engine light the other day.
I brought it to the dealer to check and they gave me sheet of paper with the following:

" February 2019 Tech Meeting- 2019 Honda Civic P0461 stored Currently under review. As far as we can tell this is just a false DTC and should not have effect on the fuel level reading. Awaiting countermeasure implementation. To avoid setting DTC in the meantime advise customers to fill tank completely when refueling"

Anyone else throw this code or get this response? This tells me they have no idea idea what happened.
For the record I did add gas to the car and not fill the tank,
Sponsored

Yarrky

First Name
Jess
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
My civic threw this code and Honda suspects that it's a software issue, but doesn't have an update to flash the computer.

Last edited:
OP
OP

ufatbasted

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic EX-L
Country flag
My civic threw this code and Honda suspects that it's a software issue, but doesn't have an update to flash the computer.
I'm hoping it doesn't happen again. My guess is it will.
I can't stand going to the dealer!

OP
OP

ufatbasted

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic EX-L
Country flag
I just received a call from American Honda who said what you posted. They indicated it's fine to drive the car if the error message comes back until they come out with the update.

umarqasim

First Name
Umar Khan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic EX- 2019
Hi all, I too have the engine light on along with the P0461 error code on my Honda Civic EX-2019 because of which the remote car starter doesn't work as well. Has anyone got any idea about the fix? It seems as if Honda will only look into the matter it till the situation becomes dangerous. Please do advise on how best to get it sorted. I did get in touch with Honda Canada and according to them they are working on the software glitch, till then its safe to drive. Had i known about this i never ever would have opted for Honda. Please do advise and share your experiences, if successful. Rest assured we can all form a group and request a fix or at least have the computer replaced.

umarqasim

First Name
Umar Khan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic EX- 2019
I am in the same boat as yours. I have no clue as to when the fix will come. Read an article on the prior CRV and civic issues and recalls, people have waited for a year only to learn to hold on to a fix which no one knows about.

REBELXSi

Señor Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Si coupe RIP, '20 CRV EX-L Hybrid
Country flag
Remember when cars were simple? Good times.

flashcash

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic EX-L
Country flag
I am in the same boat as yours. I have no clue as to when the fix will come. Read an article on the prior CRV and civic issues and recalls, people have waited for a year only to learn to hold on to a fix which no one knows about.
Prior to purchasing our 2015 RAV, we looked into the CRV. A quick Google search alerted me to a huge vibration problem. In fact, the CRV forum had hundreds of pages complaining about this. Whats worse was the complaints about Honda's reaction to it. For the longet time, Honda said this was "normal" behavior. Meanwhile, videos on you tube kept cropping up. In some clips, the vibration and seat-shaking were so violent that it looked like an unbalanced washing machine. I'm so glad I chose the Toyota.

How Honda had the balls to say this was normal is beyond me. Finally, after a couple of years, Honda owned up to it and provided a software fix. Some say it improved things, while others saw no difference.

When I purchased the 2019 Civic in December, I kept this in mind and prayed that the Civic wouldn't have issues that Honda would give such lame responses and fixes. Hopefully, this error code isn't one of them and Honda addresses it ASAP instead of dragging their feet and feeding us lies. It's no surprise that Honda reliability isn't what it used to be. Thus far my 2019 is a great car and I love it, but I hope I don't have to spend more time at their service department than I have to,

umarqasim

First Name
Umar Khan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic EX- 2019
Prior to purchasing our 2015 RAV, we looked into the CRV. A quick Google search alerted me to a huge vibration problem. In fact, the CRV forum had hundreds of pages complaining about this. Whats worse was the complaints about Honda's reaction to it. For the longet time, Honda said this was "normal" behavior. Meanwhile, videos on you tube kept cropping up. In some clips, the vibration and seat-shaking were so violent that it looked like an unbalanced washing machine. I'm so glad I chose the Toyota.

How Honda had the balls to say this was normal is beyond me. Finally, after a couple of years, Honda owned up to it and provided a software fix. Some say it improved things, while others saw no difference.

When I purchased the 2019 Civic in December, I kept this in mind and prayed that the Civic wouldn't have issues that Honda would give such lame responses and fixes. Hopefully, this error code isn't one of them and Honda addresses it ASAP instead of dragging their feet and feeding us lies. It's no surprise that Honda reliability isn't what it used to be. Thus far my 2019 is a great car and I love it, but I hope I don't have to spend more time at their service department than I have to,
I guess you are among the sensible and lucky ones then. I am sincerely happy for you and i wouldn't want you or anyone to go through what i am facing at the moment. Imagine putting a 3 yr old in the car seat without the engine starter and its -15 and to your dismay the little one says '' daddy no no.. cold.. cold''. So now i have to get out first start the car and then come back. Anyway, will give these folks another months time and pay the MTO a visit.

BoxsterSteve

still plays with cars...
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Porsche Boxster S, 2018 Civic Touring sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Read an article on the prior CRV and civic issues and recalls, people have waited for a year only to learn to hold on to a fix which no one knows about.
In that situation with my wife’s year old CR-V Touring.
The Navi works fine, but glitches when it displays turn-by-turn in the speedo.
She’s getting the instrument cluster replaced to see if that clears the issue. Maybe an infotainment unit after that if the issue still persists.
Thanks, warranty!

Gruber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Touring; 2009 Honda CR-V EX-L
Country flag
I wonder how many people who get this issue and get appalled at how horrible Honda is, work as computer programmers and produce crappy buggy code (as they always do).

I hope some Microsoft or Google :thumbsdown:or Apple "software engineers" folks get a car like this.....:coffee:
Sponsored