2018 vs 2019 CTR ---- worth the wait?

First Name
Viet
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ridgeline
Country flag
Hi there! I'm a proud owner of a 2008 Ridgeline RTL :p and looking to buy a CTR. I've test driven GTIs and Focus RS - the RS was amazing, but I'm fairly certain I want the CTR due to the more usable space (have an 80lb dog that goes with me everywhere) and the looks have really grown on me. In any case, I can find used 2018 CTRs for ~$32-34k but I'm wondering if it's worth the wait for the 2019 CTR for the improved infotainment? Also, someone on YT said that the 2019 model doesn't have the "gear grinding" issue in the earlier CTR models.

Would love the community's input and advice, thank you!
Sponsored

kevv_FK8

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Type R, 2022 Honda Pilot SE, 2013 Honda Civic
Country flag
why wait? the 2019's are available right now, aside from the new volume knob and some climate control buttons it is the exact same car. Regardless you will be happy with either one.

OP
OP
First Name
Viet
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ridgeline
Country flag
why wait? the 2019's are available right now, aside from the new volume knob and some climate control buttons it is the exact same car. Regardless you will be happy with either one.
Oh, I can't buy new --- the local dealer just sold a 2019 CTR for $46k...ridonc. My thought is i can get a 2018 this month, whereas if I wait for sayyyy half a year, I could probably find a used 2019? Is the volume knob + climate control worth the 6 month wait. And also, are there any "gear grinding" issues? I noticed it came up in FlyingGato's YT channel for his review of his personal CTR and some other commenters said something a long the same lines. I was surprised given that its a Honda and figure the quality of the transmission was not something that would be an issue. Is this just one off issue or an actual concern for 2017-2018 CTRs? Thank you!!

MonkeyConQueso

First Name
Armand
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR
Country flag
Oh, I can't buy new --- the local dealer just sold a 2019 CTR for $46k...ridonc. My thought is i can get a 2018 this month, whereas if I wait for sayyyy half a year, I could probably find a used 2019? Is the volume knob + climate control worth the 6 month wait. And also, are there any "gear grinding" issues? I noticed it came up in FlyingGato's YT channel for his review of his personal CTR and some other commenters said something a long the same lines. I was surprised given that its a Honda and figure the quality of the transmission was not something that would be an issue. Is this just one off issue or an actual concern for 2017-2018 CTRs? Thank you!!
Knowing the Seattle dealers.... don't buy here. Heck, don't buy in WA, OR, or CA, but do look into buying in other states at MSRP... or roll the dice and hope you get lucky with a desperate dealer at End of Month. There's a bunch of people who've purchased out of state to secure MSRP, so I'd suss out the pinned threads in this forum to see what they've done and where they've gone. Honestly it comes down to how much work you want to do to acquire a CTR.

I bought MSRP here in WA, but I got lucky and that dealer is still $5 -10k over again. No matter what, you can find a dealer out there who will do MSRP. If you are looking for used to get one under MSRP... I'd still say good luck to that because of the demand.

bgood

First Name
Byron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R, 2007 Honda S2K, 2016 Honda Civic Hatchback, 2012 Nissan Xterra, 2001 Dodge Ram 3500 Cummins 4X4, and some toys
Country flag
Is buying out of the area and having it shipped OK? There are several dealers nationwide that are selling 2019s at MSRP. There was a FB post a couple of days ago with a dealer offering two CTRs about 2k off MSRP, which means the net price after shipping would be below MSRP.
I like having the manual controls, and I specifically waited a few extra months to get a 2019. If you don't fiddle with your temperature settings much, and you normally use the volume controls on the steering wheel, you will be fine with the 2018.
I only have about 350 miles on my car and have not tried aggressive shifting, so I can't say whether or not there is a grinding issue. However, this transmission feels quite similar to my S2000's transmission, and the S2000 transmission definitely wanted to grind when doing a 1-2 shift. The solution for that was to shift smoothly, and not force the shift. I suppose I will find out in a few hundred miles or so.

WhatThePuck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Acura Rsx (sold), '19 CW CTR 23909
Country flag
I agree with MonkeyConQueso, don't buy anywhere on the West coast. I'm in CO and I didn't buy here, it was ridiculous. The long lists, the 18month+ wait. Purchased out of state and had it shipped. I started my search in late 2018 and figured by the time I was ready to purchase it would be 2019 anyway so why not lol. There is a spreadsheet of nice dealers in a lot of states, you can search the forum for it. It helped me out a lot. I have almost 2200 miles on mine, only heard the grind once, knew what it was and it hasn't happened again. I use mine as a daily driver so if there's something seriously wrong I would have been made aware of it pretty quickly! I use both the steering wheel control for volume and the knob on the head unit. I bought the 2019 because looking at a lot of the used 2018s dealers wanted almost as much, and by the time I was ready to buy it was already into the new year. I'm sure since your doggo goes with you everywhere you have a protector for the back seat? If not I'd recommend this one, or something very similar, with the flaps that protect the doors. I plan on purchasing one at some point.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Pet-Seat-C...=223455971481ec7e2645f6c6453ea9668c8a079cc1cc

Good luck!

Groundcontrol

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 PMM CTR
Country flag
I searched for several months and kept in contact with all of the local Honda dealerships and was able to get one of the salesmen to tell me what was coming in on the next boat in the color that I wanted in the state of Texas. Then I started calling those dealerships and found the best deal out the ones that were not already sold. I had to drive 400 miles on delivery day on a first come, first serve basis to buy the car, but it was worth it when I walked in the front door as they opened and told them to start the paperwork.

It turns out there was one sitting on a lot in Louisiana for MSRP in the color that I wanted that took several months to sell because no one was looking for one in that market. I tried to get that one the day before I bought the one I did, but they refused to sell it to me because they only wanted to sell to the local market. Since I was going to register the car in Texas, my money was no good to them. Several weeks later I got a call (while I was driving in my new car) saying they had changed their mind and would love to sell me the car. I told them they lost the sale the day they refused to sell me the car due to their policy.

SixxSpeed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type R
Country flag
In terms of the transmission grinds... I can't imagine anything changed for the 2019s, besides maybe the fluid inside the transmission.

To confirm this, I would check the part numbers for the transmissions to see if anything has in fact changed. If part numbers are the same, nothing has changed. Easily done by finding a site like Collegehills Honda's parts site- search and compare the part numbers for model years.

Fixing a transmission is no cheap or easy endeavour. Honda would've had to redesign something internally to avoid grinds. Either way, this would result in a different part number.

I've said it once and I'll say it again- if you want to fix your transmission grind, change the fluid. Use "AC Delco Synchromesh Friction Modified" fluid (formerly known as GM Synchromesh Friction Modified). This stuff is made by the Gods and anyone who has driven a manual Honda or Acura for any length of time will tell you that this stuff cures transmission grinds. It is the fluid of the gods when it comes to curing transmission grinds in Hondas!!!

OP
OP
First Name
Viet
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ridgeline
Country flag
Thank you so much everyone!

Okay so I found a local one at a dealership certified preowned 2019 with 200 miles on it. Asking $35.5k!!

So here’s the next question...when does the 2020 model come out?? I saw the pictures and videos for 2020 test vehicle yesterday. We’re almost halfway through 2019. Does Honda usually release the upcoming year’s model (example 2020 model) at the end of the current year?

Sorry for all the questions and really appreciate your feedback!

ez12a

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 CW Type R
Country flag
Sup Viet! hope you find your type R! was gonna suggest this forum for leads.p

We will probably see 2020s in the showrooms late summer/fall.

Brakes88

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 TYP SI
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Cant speak for the type r. But I bought a 2019 SI and I will say the little interior changes are a nice change. The light in the park break is a big one for me as I so often forgot in my lx to set P brake and would have.to hop back in the car. The little light is nice it saves me from that. The cup holders are nice as they hold things a bit nicer with the tabs in them. And the designated fan speed buttons are great! I had a loaner 17 SI without them for a day and much prefer the 19. Either way I wish you successful hunting. I'm sure you will enjoy either year!

oriali

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R CW
Country flag
I'm a thing for creature comforts... the physical buttons for infotainment the 2019 are miles better, the parking light on the e-brake is nice too (although I don't recall if this was already standard in Canada pre-2019). You'll still enjoy the car plenty without them, but it's definitely nice to have.

You do lose the VTEC TURBO sticker on the rear windshield though. :D

Salespunk

First Name
MO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type R, Ram 2500, 328 Wagon
Country flag
It took me about 4 hours of phone calls to find on at sticker in Socal. At the time I got quote from $5K to $15K over sticker from some local dealers. Found mine about an hour away.

OP
OP
First Name
Viet
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ridgeline
Country flag
Thanks everyone! Great points regarding creature comforts. I think 2019 is the way to go in the 2017-2018 v 2019 battle for me. The next thing is to hold tight now and see if those 2020 leaks are worth the wait.

garoto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 RYP S2K, 18 CW CTR
Country flag
Thanks everyone! Great points regarding creature comforts. I think 2019 is the way to go in the 2017-2018 v 2019 battle for me. The next thing is to hold tight now and see if those 2020 leaks are worth the wait.
Oh my. Once the 2020s are out why not wait for the 2021? 2019 is the latest I wouldn’t wait further.
Sponsored