CTRFK8

First Name
Sauce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CTR
Country flag
MM came on at 3k+, then oil change at about 3500k, MY18.
Sponsored

ez12a

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 CW Type R
Country flag
I made a DIY video here:

personally, just waited till the MM said to change the oil for the first one and had it done at the dealer. 19k miles here now, no problems. If I do get any problems, hopefully it manifests themselves before my extd warranty runs out.

Last edited:

CDNTyper

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 FK8 1999 turbo EK
Country flag
I am telling people do do anything people can do what they want buddy... read I said what I am going to do. I stated at 6-7000 miles yes you can change your oil... I mean that kind of a no brainer. Go on other forums an see what they run or not even that go ask some people what they run in Subaru’s sti’s Wrx’s gtr’s evo’s whatever you want to look at... that actually run them on the track or run them hard. There not running 0w-20 I can tell you that... I sure don’t run 0w-40 in my gtr. I run 5w-50 amsoil signature series oil.. my car is fine not one hiccup 41k on it. I also change it every 2000 miles so I don’t need my oil looked at to tell me that I can let it go til 7000 miles. My Buick grand national calls for 10w-30 I run 20w-50 vr1 Valvoline you going to tell me I am dumb for running that. Do what you want to do. I will do what I have been doing the last 21 years I have been driving cars. Never blew an engine up from an oil related issue. Pushing power well that another issue
I second exactly what this man is saying. Once I need my oil swapped out I will be going to a different (redline) oil. 0w20 is fine for most people/daily driving. If you have any sprinted or track use I would use a thicker oil.

I’ve ran 15w50 redline in my turbo b18c5 motor for 5 years now. It’s still the same as day 1 on the build. Heat and fuel dilution from the ridiculous injectors play a big factor in why I use this.

Lust

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Champ White Type R
Country flag
I second exactly what this man is saying. Once I need my oil swapped out I will be going to a different (redline) oil. 0w20 is fine for most people/daily driving. If you have any sprinted or track use I would use a thicker oil.

I’ve ran 15w50 redline in my turbo b18c5 motor for 5 years now. It’s still the same as day 1 on the build. Heat and fuel dilution from the ridiculous injectors play a big factor in why I use this.
There hasn't been any factual evidence that shows a heavier oil protects the engine better than a high quality 0w-20.

josh8604

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR BBP
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I am at 3700 Miles and my MM tells me oil life is at 20%. Definitely changing the oil within the next 2 weeks. My car is more leisure than daily driver and there is a lot of traffic throughout the day if I do drive it. Definitely don't feel like waiting til the 7500 miles mark to change the oil for the first time. I'll change it myself and then once I get to 7500 I might try and redeem my coupons for the free oil change.

fatherpain

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 CTR - CW, 1996 Honda Accord EX coupe
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Honda Civic 10th gen 2018 Type R Oil Change Info C03D5620-56FB-4FA7-B18C-8F34735B66DC

Regardless which oil change interval, please be sure to check oil levels often. This is the amount of carryover collected in about a month or so of daily driving by my PCV oil catch can.

Have some bolt on mods, dunno if that increases the amount or not. Either way over an extended period of time, this carryover could lead to lower engine oil levels.

Last edited:

Slap KFD

Slapboogz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R, 1998 Honda Accord
Country flag
Seems Turboshawn knows everything so please guys don't follow the manual and disregard what the engineers who built this car from scratch say. Just listen to Turboshawn and you'll be ok. The stupidity in this thread

josh8604

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR BBP
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Seems Turboshawn knows everything so please guys don't follow the manual and disregard what the engineers who built this car from scratch say. Just listen to Turboshawn and you'll be ok. The stupidity in this thread
Well his name does have turbo in it. ;)

The Vyzitor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Sport FK7, 2010 VW GTI MKVI
Country flag
• the maintenance minder does not know what oil you’re using and it’s algorithm is designed around the OEM synth blend 0w20 and stock power levels. If you’re using anything besides factory oil or similar and have increased power output (putting extra stress and heat on the engine) the maintenance minder is no longer accurate. Maybe you need to change earlier than MM, maybe you can push 5K miles past the MM. the only way to know for sure is to sample your oil and get it analyzed.
• Civic’s (and other Honda’s) in foreign markets free of CAFE standards recommend heavier oils than the 0w20 recommended in the US of A. Using a light 30 grade vs a 20 grade is not going to make a huge difference other than providing an extra cushion to viscosity loss from shearing or dilution. But today’s high quality 0w20s are pretty stout oils in most situations.

Honda Civic 10th gen 2018 Type R Oil Change Info 06143016-0795-407A-A389-7D9B08EE72D9

Honda Civic 10th gen 2018 Type R Oil Change Info EE0E4624-989B-4BD1-91CB-13ABBC1C3628

OneSickFK8

Banned
Banned
First Name
Jae
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
PMM FK8
Country flag
I'm coming up on 2750 miles and my maintenance minder is at 70%. I'm doing the AMSoil change as soon as it arrives. Idc. I also just ordered a PCV side Radium Engineering catch can.

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
There hasn't been any factual evidence that shows a heavier oil protects the engine better than a high quality 0w-20.
Under heavy load or sustained high temps, I could see why a heavier grade oil would be beneficial. Oil thins as it gets hotter, the 0W-20 that Honda recommends is going to be based on what they expect the motor to be under, or better yet what the warranty will most likely cover. That would specifically be under either full road work or a mix of road/track where the engine temps don't go as high so the "thinness" sustained by a 0W-20 may be fine for. However, if you switch to full track work that may change and it may become beneficial for the car to use a heavier grade oil.

It's also interesting to note that in the manual @The Vyzitor showed (it does differ from the US manual I have which he does state), Honda recommends a different grade of oil if genuine Honda oil isn't available, specifically they recommend 5W-30 or 0W-30 vs the 0W-20 stock oil. It's also possible that Honda specifically formulated an oil for the 2.0T CTR motor that doesn't get as thin as "conventional" 0W-20 oil at higher temps.

There is factual reasons why a thicker oil would protect the motor better. But it is also the case that in other markets Honda says that the only 0W-20 that should be used in the CTR is Honda's and if you don't have Honda's available to use a heavier weight oil which makes me think there is something special about Honda's formulation. Now, what we need is a ProjectFarm-esque test with Honda 0W-20, "other brand" 0W-20, and "other brand" 0W-30/5W-30 to see how they compare in heat, cold, and after being "worn" :p

Lust

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Champ White Type R
Country flag
Under heavy load or sustained high temps, I could see why a heavier grade oil would be beneficial. Oil thins as it gets hotter, the 0W-20 that Honda recommends is going to be based on what they expect the motor to be under, or better yet what the warranty will most likely cover. That would specifically be under either full road work or a mix of road/track where the engine temps don't go as high so the "thinness" sustained by a 0W-20 may be fine for. However, if you switch to full track work that may change and it may become beneficial for the car to use a heavier grade oil.

It's also interesting to note that in the manual @The Vyzitor showed (it does differ from the US manual I have which he does state), Honda recommends a different grade of oil if genuine Honda oil isn't available, specifically they recommend 5W-30 or 0W-30 vs the 0W-20 stock oil. It's also possible that Honda specifically formulated an oil for the 2.0T CTR motor that doesn't get as thin as "conventional" 0W-20 oil at higher temps.

There is factual reasons why a thicker oil would protect the motor better. But it is also the case that in other markets Honda says that the only 0W-20 that should be used in the CTR is Honda's and if you don't have Honda's available to use a heavier weight oil which makes me think there is something special about Honda's formulation. Now, what we need is a ProjectFarm-esque test with Honda 0W-20, "other brand" 0W-20, and "other brand" 0W-30/5W-30 to see how they compare in heat, cold, and after being "worn" :p
I’ll argue and say your evidence is anecdotal. My UOAs are with a high quality 0w-20 oil that doesn’t sheer. A 5w-30 that sheers down to 0w-20 is the same as a 0w-20 that doesn’t sheer...

CTR1633FK2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type R Fk2 + Civic Type R Fk8
Country flag
My Honda dealer said 0W-20 is for the emission homologation. They advised me to use 0W-40 Castrol Edge. Sometimes I even use 10W-60 (track use). No problems ever. I use the same Castrol Edge in my DC2 and S2k.
0W-20 Honda oil type 2 is fine for normal use, you don't HAVE to use something else.
Just don't use the 0W-20 Honda Type 1 oil, which is for hybrid vehicles.

CTR1633FK2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type R Fk2 + Civic Type R Fk8
Country flag
I’ll argue and say your evidence is anecdotal. My UOAs are with a high quality 0w-20 oil that doesn’t sheer. A 5w-30 that sheers down to 0w-20 is the same as a 0w-20 that doesn’t sheer...
It depends on the load, age and temperature. It is very naĂŻve to say that your high quality 0W-20 doesn't sheer (never?). You can also find 0W-30 and 0W-40 oils that don't sheer (most of the time).

samji

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR, 1996 Accord V6 EX-L
Country flag
My Honda dealer said 0W-20 is for the emission homologation. They advised me to use 0W-40 Castrol Edge. Sometimes I even use 10W-60 (track use). No problems ever. I use the same Castrol Edge in my DC2 and S2k.
0W-20 Honda oil type 2 is fine for normal use, you don't HAVE to use something else.
Just don't use the 0W-20 Honda Type 1 oil, which is for hybrid vehicles.
Looking at the tolerances chart for oil viscosity, and me living in California (lowest temps we see here are ~35 Fahrenheit and can get as hot as ~110 Fahrenheit during the summer. If I don't track too often, but do drive the car spiritedly a few times a month, would it be better for me to use 5W-30 instead of 0W-20 or 30?
Sponsored