turboshawn

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
87 Buick Grand National, 11 GTR, 18 CBP Type R, 11 Tundra Rock Warrior
Country flag
I am just messing with you buddy about the brand thing the ones you quoted aren’t very expensive. That’s what these threads an posts are for is to have discussions an disagreements... a lot of people posting are about everyone just going with the flow.
Sponsored

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
A few corrections:
  • The factory fill is Phillips 66 synthetic blend, which is the global supplier for Honda's 0W-20 motor oil. It is not a full synthetic (which Honda also sells). All 0W-20 motor oils are at least synthetic blend or above.
  • Honda recommends keeping the FF for the full duration, changing no sooner than 15%. Changing out earlier only delays the break-in process, which hurts nothing except the wallet. ;)
Sources: Torrance, Lincoln, and Honda Service Express

More here:
https://www.civicx.com/threads/break-in-dos-and-donts-for-new-si.24661/page-2

Last edited:

18RRtypeR

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R #6850, 2015 Toyota TRD PRO 4Runner
Country flag
Changed my factory oil and trans fluid at 1000 miles April 2018 with Amsoil SS 0-20 and Syncromesh. Then just changed oil again in November 2018 at 4600 miles. Will do another oil changed in April 2019 when it goes back on the road. Oil is cheap for peace of mind.

turboshawn

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
The engine doesn’t need a long break in period. Why would you want break in oil which it isn’t even break in oil... they just tell you that even if it is. Why would you want all the metal in your oiling system an turbocharger for longer than Honda says the break in period is of 600 miles... Honda says break in is 600 miles in your owners manual then says don’t change your oil til the maintenance reminder. I don’t remember who posted the quote from Honda but I think it’s dated in the 90’s it doesn’t even matter when Honda quoted that though... I am good. I’ll do what I know an have always done an that’s when the engine is broken in the oil comes out.

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
There's nothing wrong with changing out earlier. It will just take longer for the motor to reach full efficiency (however small the delta is). The idea is to accelerate collision of the remaining asperities from the machined surfaces, and ensure a clean ring seal. And that's been corroborated from several sources at Honda over the last year.

Last edited:

turboshawn

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
That’s fine if you want to talk all technical... point if if you want to leave your oil in do so if u don’t then change it simple as that idc what bean counters an even the engineers at Honda think... I want a clean engine that is well lubricated&protected from wear period. If you guys think your dirty oil is still breaking in your piston rings at 5-6000 miles by all means keep your oil in I will not...

OP
OP

18CarEnthusiast18

First Name
N/A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Type R
Country flag
Just curious at what miles and % of life left did you change it and send this off? I am considering sending mine off just to see.

The dealer I talked to told me to wait and change no earlier than 15%, but said between 10% and 5% is recommended and perfectly fine. I am at around 9500 miles and 10% currently. Buying the oil filter today from Honda and going to a friends shop to change it today or this week the next time I take it out.

Lust

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Champ White Type R
Country flag
Just curious at what miles and % of life left did you change it and send this off? I am considering sending mine off just to see.

The dealer I talked to told me to wait and change no earlier than 15%, but said between 10% and 5% is recommended and perfectly fine. I am at around 9500 miles and 10% currently. Buying the oil filter today from Honda and going to a friends shop to change it today or this week the next time I take it out.
My maintenance minder showed 50 percent. I sent it in early because of the two track days. I thought I might have cooked the oil but luckily I didn’t. Since then I’ve installed the HKS oil cooler and haven’t had any issues.

OP
OP

18CarEnthusiast18

First Name
N/A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Type R
Country flag
My maintenance minder showed 50 percent. I sent it in early because of the two track days. I thought I might have cooked the oil but luckily I didn’t. Since then I’ve installed the HKS oil cooler and haven’t had any issues.
What was the mileage at 50%? I am at just over 9400 and 10% oil life on my first oil change which to me seems like a lot of miles for a oil change... haha

mpt2006

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
Should I be doing my first oil change? The display hasn’t come on yet but I’m almost at a year and only 2.7K miles. What should I be doing since the manual says to change it at a year but the display hasn’t told me to

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
Should I be doing my first oil change? The display hasn’t come on yet but I’m almost at a year and only 2.7K miles. What should I be doing since the manual says to change it at a year but the display hasn’t told me to
I'm not sure if the car will tell you to until the year comes up.

SBPerformance

First Name
Steph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Evo, 2003 350z, 1998 CRV, 2019 Civic Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I had this also, around 2500 miles was the first oil change on the Si. They recommend to change oil once a year or when your mileage minder tells you. Upon taking the car to the dealer, they strongly recommend to NOT change the oil in the car at such low mileage. But, since the car is used for short trips and the oil was over a year old... we had it changed anyways. They put a note on the repair order stating "Customer is aware of oil change intervals and requested an early service which was not recommended" but technically, it wasn't an early service?

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
I had this also, around 2500 miles was the first oil change on the Si. They recommend to change oil once a year or when your mileage minder tells you. Upon taking the car to the dealer, they strongly recommend to NOT change the oil in the car at such low mileage. But, since the car is used for short trips and the oil was over a year old... we had it changed anyways. They put a note on the repair order stating "Customer is aware of oil change intervals and requested an early service which was not recommended" but technically, it wasn't an early service?
The reason why they are saying that is that Honda doesn't recommend changing the original oil in the car early since it is used for the break in period of the engine. Unless they can swap out with that specific special oil, the tech is saying that the cons from losing the special oil outweigh the cons of using new regular oil. I'm not an engineer or scientist that specializes in this sort of thing, so I can't really have an opinion on the subject. This might have been something you called/emailed Honda corporate about to get an engineer who designed the engine/car to talk about.

jasonjm

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Type-R
Country flag
Just want to point out that there are multiple ways to break in your engine.

For guys that head out to the track, they’re putting stress on the engine equivalent to running these additives if they don’t change frequently. And can be very dangerous to run cooked oil.

Do UOAs frequently and change out the oils frequently when tracking.
Sponsored