turboshawn

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
87 Buick Grand National, 11 GTR, 18 CBP Type R, 11 Tundra Rock Warrior
Country flag
All I am saying is I like my engine clean an I don’t want fuel dilution an in turbocharger cars it’s an issue always has been... when fuel dilutes oil it thins it you get sell protection from the oil so I run a little bit thicker oil yes will it hurt your gas mileage a little probably. I would rather have my oil when I change it 0w-20 what factory calls for than 0w-0 after 4-5000 miles. It might not dilute that much on a new engine but get some miles on these engines an they will get a lot more fuel in the oil. Especially with direct injection when your spraying fuel directly into the cylinder
Sponsored

turboshawn

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Um.... basically what I said. No offense to her she said you had metal in there from break in... I change mine to get it out. I have had engines built by people that know a lot about engines an after break in... I don’t need you quoting Honda either... I get it out it’s done it’s job. I don’t want all those metals in there tearing shit up that doesn’t need to be in there. Point blank they don’t want people changing oil often think what you want use some common sense we don’t want waste today everything is pro earth. They want oil to stay in your car for 6-8000 miles some engines it ok oil is better today... idk about 10k oci’s. I am just stating what I do an what has worked for me. If you don’t like it don’t read it or pay it no mind do your own thing bro... an that person the metals are high is normal at this point yeah do you want your break in oil levels of junk in your engine to be high at 10k with the same oil in there. I am done could go on an on just beating a dead horse... sry that’s an old saying lol

Lust

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Champ White Type R
Country flag
Those metals are LINGERING from break in. I already have a couple oil changes using Motul 300v 0w-20 oil. I quoted Honda on one occasion, the factory oil aids the break in process. Why would I listen to some internet jocky over Honda engineers? It would make sense that dealership want us to come more often to get more money on maintenance services. Not the other way around. It’s clear you’re being ignorant and set in your ways. Just stop giving bad information to people

LuckyTypeROwner18

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Quite the heated argument going on! I appreciate and respect everyone's opinion and added info regarding experiences. I went ahead and got my oil changed today. As mentioned previously, I was at 50% oil life @ 6,000 miles (6 months driving). Not a bad price as I was charged $50.36 for the following: Complete lube, oil & filter as well as Multi-Point inspection and Alignment check. I was told everything looked very well. Tires wearing appropriately, my winter set-up...not OEM stock. Oil filter was not over tightened. Awesome crew at the dealership I went to. Dashcam left on and everyone acted super professional...could not be happier with this first experience. I will probably continue to get my oil changed in 6 month intervals ~cheers & happy driving :thumbsup:

Marfoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
I might be mistaken here, but it is to my understanding that the Type R's engine, like what they do with the NSX engine, is broken in at the factory so it's track ready day one. Still need to break in the brake pads, clutch all that, but the engine is good to go day one. I don't believe the additive thing holds for this engine as it does for most other Hondas.

turboshawn

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Listen buddy an engine doesn’t take thousands of miles to break in ok. Number 2 an engine breaks in the first 500-600 miles of driving if anyone wants to leave Honda’s so called break in oil longer by all means go right ahead... the longer it’s in there the more junk your running through the rod & main bearings an turbocharger. Yes the levels might be normal levels of material at 500-1000 miles but not at 7-10k miles. Get my point it only needs to be in there to do its job of a 500-600 miles break in that’s it. Find an engine builder or a few of them on any engine an see if they tell you to leave break in oil in your engine longer than 500-600 miles... the answer will be change it when you hit 500-600 miles. Gentleman above is correct engines today don’t really need a break in period other than the piston rings need seated an that gets done within first 300 miles an can be done a lot sooner with down shifting an letting the engine decelerate on it’s own by not hitting the brakes. Just letting the engine slow the car down. An also running the engine through the rev range full throttle is also fine as long as your not doing them over an over again a few are ok. Like I said by no means am I telling people to change there oil early or change the weight of there oil. Turbochargers can spin up to 150,000-200,000 rpm the oil gets extremely hot and breaks down. I am just making a case as to why I change my oil often. If anything I probably do wait oil because I change it often but I would rather have a clean engine an a well protected engine. My factory oil was changed by me at 587miles with Honda filter an Eneos 0w-20 have it wrote down. Then again at 1692 miles same thing Honda filter an Eneos 0w-20. I changed it right before i put it away for winter same filter &oil at 3790. There’s 3890 on the car sitting in my garage. I’ll change it in the spring again at 4K miles. Everyone is different I am very ocd about the fluids in my car.

rohnin

First Name
Iris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
I wish I never took my Type R to the dealer for its first (free) oil change. They put a few miles on it and the passenger seat belt wasn’t even put back properly I know they went for a joyride. My brakes make a sound when braking while going in reverse now, and the dash has a new squeak. The car smelled of sweat and the shifter and steering wheel were sticky

turboshawn

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
That happens that’s why nobody touches my cars unless something majorly wrong with it... 80% of them are hacks an have no respect... people in general have no respect today

Type Rocket

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CBP FK8 #2650
Country flag
So the one thing I take from this thread is that the MM is definitely adaptive to driving conditions. My first change came up at 4K and now I'm showing 10% with 7,940 on the odometer. Now I wonder what criteria the MM is using.

scoobysnack

First Name
no
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CTR, 2008 Volvo C30, 2009 Infiniti G37
Country flag
Hilarious thread. My 2018 CTR was purchased Dec 24 2017 and has roughly 2500 miles. I'm taking it to my local Walnut Creek dealer for its 1st service tomorrow and I'm scared shitless of what they'll do to it.

garoto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 RYP S2K, 18 CW CTR
Country flag
As far as the change is concerned there is nothing special about it. Change the oil just like you would on any other car.
That’s false. This car sits very low. You’ll have a hard time finding a jack that goes as far in as needed and that’s as low as needed. Very careful, or you’ll trash your car by smashing the jack with the engine/tranny when you lower it.

garoto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 RYP S2K, 18 CW CTR
Country flag
Hilarious thread. My 2018 CTR was purchased Dec 24 2017 and has roughly 2500 miles. I'm taking it to my local Walnut Creek dealer for its 1st service tomorrow and I'm scared shitless of what they'll do to it.
Why is the thread hilarious? I think it’s more hilarious that you’ll change your oil at 2500. But more importantly, that you’ll let a dealer do it. This belief that dealers are the best place to do things is so flawed. The fact that you’re scared shitless says it all.
Sponsored