2018 Tacoma Owner looking to make the switch..

ItWasRatedR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Toyota Tacoma
Country flag
Hi guys,

I am a new member on this site. I am looking to get into either a Civic Type R or a WRX STI and I would love some advice.

I currently daily drive a 2018 Tacoma TRD Offroad, and after owning it for sometime I realize my dream truck was not what I had thought it would be.

I had always loved the WRX STI and my mom currently owns a 2014 hatchback, so I have some experience with the EJ.

So I’m looking for the best, most bonkers driving experience I can get out of a DD. I want my commute to work to be fun, and I want to be able to rip around on back roads.

I frequently commute between Richmond, VA and Pittsburgh, PA so I will definitely see some snowy weather.

So the short of it is, I want to trade in my truck (although beautiful, reliable and kinda fun to drive) for something good looking, reliable and even more fun to drive.

I just want some advice!
Sponsored

krees

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R & 2020 Ridgeline BE
Country flag
I love my type r but would likely have skipped it for an sti if I lived in the north east. Assuming this will be a year 'round daily, I'd wait for the next gen sti before choosing and I would take a wrx over the sti if you have to buy now. The ctr is no doubt a great daily and super fun but I would not drive it in the winter though there are plenty of folks that do.

Good luck on your search either way.

.grimace

First Name
Byron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Honda CTR, 2022 Range Rover , 1990 CRX SI
Country flag
I’d also wait and see the next gen before buying. The STI is still awesome but needs a new motor so badly I couldn’t buy one as is.

jmartin

Rouleur
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ctr 2015 Challenger srt 2016 Yamaha R1m 2002 Gmc Lifted Duramax
I would keep the Tacoma until the new Sti comes out.

NapalmEnema

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 M2, 2022 Audi RS3, ex2019, now 2021Type R!
Country flag
I'd wait as well, also give you a chance to not take such a bath on getting rid of the 2018 you have now.

OP
OP

ItWasRatedR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Toyota Tacoma
Country flag
Honestly I considered getting rid of it because although I bought it new I was offered only 1200 less than what I paid

zsak

First Name
Tej
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Turbo S2000, 2014 SRT Jeep Grand Cherokee , 1998 Jeep Wrangler
Country flag
Got to love Tacoma’s resell values!

zsak

First Name
Tej
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Btw I recommend the R even in the winter. It’s fun and people seem to think as it’s a exotic!

NapalmEnema

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 M2, 2022 Audi RS3, ex2019, now 2021Type R!
Country flag
Honestly I considered getting rid of it because although I bought it new I was offered only 1200 less than what I paid
Then get the R now, or wait for the new STi. But don't get the current STi, just trust me the engine is crazy old and flawed. (owned one, it blew up just like everyone elses)

OP
OP

ItWasRatedR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Toyota Tacoma
Country flag
It’s as the EJ is still in the STI... I still want one so bad.

The R is an absolutely amazing piece of engineering though, so much has gone into its design

OP
OP

ItWasRatedR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Toyota Tacoma
Country flag
:banghead:
Btw I recommend the R even in the winter. It’s fun and people seem to think as it’s a exotic!
Darn, even in real bad weather? If the R can handle northeast Ohio winters at highway speeds without causing me to sweat and have white knuckles my whole drive I think the choice is simple.

My Tacoma is currently a beast in the snow which is the sad part, just wish it was more fun to drive

kevv_FK8

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Type R, 2022 Honda Pilot SE, 2013 Honda Civic
Country flag
the type r will do just fine in the winter with a set of snow tires...its whether or not YOU want to drive it in snow/salt

RedGiant217

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Honda Accord
Country flag

Darn, even in real bad weather? If the R can handle northeast Ohio winters at highway speeds without causing me to sweat and have white knuckles my whole drive I think the choice is simple.

My Tacoma is currently a beast in the snow which is the sad part, just wish it was more fun to drive
I'm not driving mine in the winter because I'm crazy and I plan to own it for a long time and want to avoid all the nasty salt.
That being said, throw some 18" wheels on it with winter tires and it would do just fine. Ground clearance is about the same as my wife's Mazda 3.

zsak

First Name
Tej
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag

I drive mine through South Dakota winters which maybe a bit worse than Ohio. My guess roads will get plowed and you should be fine. Also I have had numerous cars including a 08 sti, Evox and a ATSV. The v was by far my favorite but most unreliable and most expensive sticker price of $80k. I ended up with the R after GM bought my Cadillac back and for the most part the car is as fun as that car at a $45k discount. Also like your Tacoma I think you won’t loose too much if you sell the R a few years down the road.
Sponsored