2018 Sport Hatch - The Good, Not So Good (so far)

FunkyD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Hatch Sport, 2006 LX Sedan, 2000 DX Coupe
Country flag
Hi guys! New member here, I've owned a number of Civics and Accords since the 1990's and for the most part I'm loyal to the brand. My 06 Accord EXL was a POS from day one, and facing another winter of car troubles I bought the Civic Sport Hatch (White Pearl) without so much as a test drive.

Driving it is a blast. Quick, responsive, nimble. CVT shifts smoothly and accurately - the first auto trans that's felt right to me since drive-by-wire was introduced. I'm actually a bit surprised that I don't miss the manual trans; paddle shifters are also quick to engage although I don't see the need to use them thus far.

I'm 5' 10", approx 200 lbs. I'm not stressed getting in and out of the car, and there's enough room for me to be comfortable yet feel snug while reaching what I need to when seated.

Audio quality is surprisingly good for both phone/music. No, there aren't component speakers or a slamming subwoofer but you could do a lot worse with a low-end OEM system.

Minor complaints:
  1. One USB port mounted in an absolutely difficult spot to reach in/under the center console. I ran an extension cable up to the storage tray so it's always easily accessible, no big deal there.
  2. A single, 1A USB port is kind of inexcusable in 2018. There's an adjacent 12v outlet that I'll use to power devices so it's also not a huge deal. I'd trade a cup holder or two for 2 high powered USB ports and there would still be enough beverage storage.
  3. Rear/side visibility could be better but it's not critical. The ass-end of the car is a bit wider than the front so I had to pay close attention at first when backing up/parallel parking but in time I'll work that out I'm sure. Backup cam is adequate, multiple views a nice touch but you can't save your view preference, and of course I need to manually toggle to the 3rd option (top - down view) for it to be of any real help to me.
  4. Personally, I dig the look, esp. Sport version. The gloss black trim looks great now but I have concerns about durability, scratching, fading, etc. I have a feeling that I'm not going to be pleased with it in a few years but who knows.
  5. I've only averaged just over 20 MPG thus far on 3 fill ups. Mostly city driving and stuck in gridlock thus far so I'm expecting better.
  6. Tilt wheel lever is much harder to access than in years past...no more adjustments without pulling over first.
  7. I would like to upgrade the stereo for some more punch and fidelity but there's so little info available about vehicle compatibility that I don't know what the right move is. The factory head unit appears to have a very tight relationship with operation/diagnostics of other aspects of the vehicle; I'm not yet sure to what degree and how to work around that.
Major concern:
  1. Audio interface is a bit clumsy to me, but I could live with it if the system would at least properly deliver the crude features it offers. I've experienced a number of issues with the audio system re: reading files from the USB port, all of which are documented in other threads here: thumb drives not recognized, screen lockups, etc.
Soft reboot (holding Power, Menu and Brightness buttons simultaneously) did nothing. Not sure it even rebooted.

Dealer service suggested hard reboot (disconnect cables from battery, connect neg/pos cables for 10 seconds, reconnect battery), which did nothing to fix the issue. In fact, the TPM and VSA warning lights are now on and cannot be turned off, not sure if there's actually an issue with those but it's doubtful. Headed to the dealer today and I'll reply with results when I can.

This whole ordeal has me less inclined to install aftermarket electronics, who knows what that might lead to.
Overall, I really really like the car...but only because I'm confident some software adjustments can fix the legit problems I'm having. Driving and performance are fantastic for a car in this class and price, far exceeding my expectations. A little disappointed with Honda that the electronic issues weren't worked out before delivery but if they can fix them without much time/stress on my part then I'll absolutely love it.

Feel free to post questions and I'll do what I can to answer as quickly as possible. I don't always have the time to respond immediately but if you can be patient I'll do my best to help. The online community has been very good to me with advice when restoring my 2000 DX Coupe so I'm happy to return the favor.

Seasons' Greetings!

D
Sponsored

Last edited:

360glitch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Accord Sport 2.0T, 2017 Si Sedan (Sold), 2017 Sport Hatchback (Sold)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Nice write-up. One of the first things I did in my Sport hatch was pull out the receiver and install a Pioneer unit I had from my previous vehicle. It was well worth it.

NinjaBot

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Hatchback, 1999 Mazda MX-5
  1. One USB port mounted in an absolutely difficult spot to reach in/under the center console. I ran an extension cable up to the storage tray so it's always easily accessible, no big deal there.
  2. A single, 1A USB port is kind of inexcusable in 2018. There's an adjacent 12v outlet that I'll use to power devices so it's also not a huge deal. I'd trade a cup holder or two for 2 high powered USB ports and there would still be enough beverage storage.
D
You missed the other usb / media port in the center console compartment? (slide the cup-holders back). Its not rated high speed but it is a 2nd charge port.

OP
OP

FunkyD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
isn't the front USB port 1.5 amps?
No, the front port is rated at 1A. The inner console port (not available in the Sport trim) would be 1.5. In any case, why not 2.1?

OP
OP

FunkyD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
You missed the other usb / media port in the center console compartment? (slide the cup-holders back). Its not rated high speed but it is a 2nd charge port.
I thought the same until I discovered that the second port is available in the Sport Touring trim and perhaps EX too, not sure.

Last edited:
OP
OP

FunkyD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Nice write-up. One of the first things I did in my Sport hatch was pull out the receiver and install a Pioneer unit I had from my previous vehicle. It was well worth it.
Nice! 2018? Any issues with backup cam and/or steering wheel controls? Maybe that wouldn't be as troublesome as I currently think it is...

bembol

SHIFT_
First Name
Rafael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 FK7 Sport Touring, 20 Audi Q3 Progressiv
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
No, the front port is rated at 1A. The inner console port (not available in the Sport trim) would be 1.5. In any case, why not 2.1?
Little things like, Honda doing a half ass job. Don't get me started on the Audio system. I've ranted about it here multiple times.

Around the View monitor was out 18 months, my 2015 Nissan Murano SL AWD was the first, Honda going with their Lane Watch is nonsense or even not adding an alert on the backup camera is lazy.

My other is issue is UK got the Panoramic Moonroof, seems to be the standard these days so why couldn't they put it on the Sport Touring?

Having said all that, I love my CivicX especially after improving the Suspension. :)

curt d

First Name
Curt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic sport hatch, 06 Cobalt LS, 08 C6 Vette
Country flag
Nice! 2018? Any issues with backup cam and/or steering wheel controls? Maybe that wouldn't be as troublesome as I currently think it is...
Using a Kenwood 9903s in mine. You will lose the 3 way camera view. New guidelines will be provided from the new head unit. You will retain steering wheel controls with an ASWC-1. Sometime you have to program it manually...just follow directions. Post in the audio section with any issues or for advice, tips if you dive into it or shoot me a PM.

xRiCeBoYx

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Sport Hatchback CVT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I just got myself an '18 Sport Hatch (polished metal metallic), as well, since I declared my 2002 ex coupe dead back in October.

The single USB port (mine says 1.5A) was kind of in an odd place, but I connected my 160GB iPod classic to it and haven't touched it since. iPod sits in that little tray thing right there, and I often forget it's there. Factory head unit controls that iPod just fine, as do the steering wheel controls. Well, at least volume and skip forward/back. Same controls also function when I use Pandora via bluetooth from my phone. The cigarette lighter adapter on the passenger side has my USB-C quick charger adapter, to which I have a USB cable going up and into the cell phone slot, so no big deal there, either.

I'll also give you the steering wheel tilt lever. When I test drove it, I spent a good amount of time searching for the lever, and the salesman told me it's a lot lower than previous civics. Found it, and adjustment on the fly is very doable.

As far as your mileage woes, urban/suburban driving in Vegas nets me ~28mpg average on a bad day, typically ~30mpg. Highway driving (tested on a road trip) average mpg hardly dropped below 36.5 with a tank full of 91 octane (87 octane, same road conditions, average mpg didn't break 33mpg).

The one complaint I have about the audio system is longer titles don't scroll so I could read the rest of the title or anything. Small nuance, but nothing worth freaking out about.

unr1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
L15B7
Country flag
I see. I didn't realize it was different than the sedan. Because the sedan gets a 1.5A up front.
edit: it's EX+ that gets 1.5A

Last edited:
OP
OP

FunkyD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
...install a Pioneer unit I had from my previous vehicle. It was well worth it.
Using a Kenwood 9903s in mine.
Thanks guys. I was looking forward to upgrading the audio, and while I'm not a pro mechanic or builder I have no issues installing my own gear. I suppose the major concern for me is that my prior vehicles were far less 'digital' if you know what I mean...there was a clearly evident line between the vehicle's powertrain and audio systems - swapping out an OEM head unit was easy, and even if you made a small mistake with the install there was no significant risk to any other function of the car. Having to repeatedly disable the ignition and restart the car to 'unlock' the frozen head unit is a new experience for me, I suppose it's left me a little paranoid about getting halfway through an install only to regret it. What I didn't explain earlier is that I bought this car because my 2000 DX project car is not road ready for the winter and I'm tired of wrenching in the freezing cold. The absolute last thing I need right now is another disabled Civic in my driveway - especially one with under 1000 miles on it!

I'm aware of the need for a module to maintain steering controls but I don't yet see anything available regarding those or dash kits or plug-n-play harnesses for 2018 models. I suppose the 2017 versions might be the same but since I went way over budget on the DX project I try to confirm such things before spending a lot of money.

Factory head unit controls that iPod just fine, as do the steering wheel controls.
Thanks - also forgot to mention that a friend's iPod connected and operated smoothly. I learned this after buying a number of different brand/size flash drives, trying to find the 'right' one. I don't own an iPod, I suppose if I did I wouldn't be so bent over this - but in all honesty the ability to identify and read a digital file is a basic function that a $20 digital player from eBay will do without locking up. Shouldn't happen on the regular in a 2018 model vehicle.

=================

I have an appointment with dealer service for tomorrow afternoon. I'm prepared for the fingerpointing and excuses people give when they can't solve a tech problem, ie 'It's your phone/cable/flash drive' , 'Oh, that's normal behavior', etc. Hopefully I'm wrong.

Landie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Sport Hatchback 6MT
Country flag
Get a pheonix android radio and youll have up to 3 functional USB ports and a full fledged tablet in your car and still maintain all functionality of steering wheel controls and rear cam

360glitch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Accord Sport 2.0T, 2017 Si Sedan (Sold), 2017 Sport Hatchback (Sold)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Adapter and harnesses that are designated for a 2016 or 2017 model will work fine. Since you have a normal Sport hatchback (not the Touring version) you have a lot more freedom to modify the audio system because the A/C controls are NOT tied into it. Most any radio (in a car) is going to have ignition switched power.

If you are considering the "Phoenix" radio option I'd recommend a lot of research, it's a new product and I'm not sure how thoroughly it has been reviewed and tested.

Landie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Sport Hatchback 6MT
Country flag
Adapter and harnesses that are designated for a 2016 or 2017 model will work fine. Since you have a normal Sport hatchback (not the Touring version) you have a lot more freedom to modify the audio system because the A/C controls are NOT tied into it. Most any radio (in a car) is going to have ignition switched power.

If you are considering the "Phoenix" radio option I'd recommend a lot of research, it's a new product and I'm not sure how thoroughly it has been reviewed and tested.
I second this, sorry if I sound like I was advertising the item without any real feedback but if you look at the aftermarket options, that tablet seems to have consistent positive feedback from customers.
Sponsored