2018 Si sitting at the dealer

Dan9908

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Accord Sport 2.0/A10, 05 Civic LX
Country flag
on Thursday, it began to develop a faint noise when I depressed the clutch. NOT rpm/engine related, definitely. Depress clutch, hear a rotational noise, engage first gear, accelerate.... once clutch was fully disengaged the noise ceased.

I’ve been driving manual cars for a very long time.

First (and most educated) thought was the throwout bearing was going bad. 2700 miles. I called the dealer to bring it in and was told they don’t have any appointments for “two weeks”. Yeah, ok... service writer please..... voicemail. Great.... no return call Thursday or Friday. Call Saturday, voicemail again. Noise was worsening but, being 99% sure it was the bearing, I knew nothing could be done without removing the trans.

Called Monday... “we’re sorry, were closed due to a power outage” which was understandable due to the severe winds on Sunday night.

Called Tuesday and spoke to a service writer. Described the calls/no appointments/no return calls and the noise. I said I believe that the throwout bearing was now much worse than Thursday and he replied “yeah, or the torque converter”........ say what? It’s an Si..... 6spd bud.

Anyway, noise was WAY worse this morning and i took it over, drove it right into the service bay and they were right on it. Luckily my screen flicker was flickering and he saw that as well. Wrote everything up got a loaner car. 2019 Accord Sport.... not bad at all.

Got home about an hour later and he called... yep, throwout bearing was toast. He also said that with the car only having 2700 miles, he’s replacing the clutch as well, even though it looked fine.

I haven’t seen or heard of a bearing going on an Si, ever.

Honda Civic 10th gen 2018 Si sitting at the dealer 52CB33CF-1E9E-482B-B5B6-822D04672449
Sponsored

NHCivicGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 R
Country flag
Dealers suck man! I fear the day I have to deal with mine again lol, totally understand your frustration though with a brand new car. I haven't heard of one going out on this car, especially even so early, but things happen- purpose of the warranty. Keep us posted and hopefully it's resolved after this.

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Polestar 2, 2010 Lexus IS 350 Sport
Country flag
Hey, sorry you are having issues with your Si, that sucks, but at least it will be fixed. My Si will hit a year in June, more than 13,000 miles on mine, not issues so far. I have done a ton of hard driving, several long distance trips between Northern and Southern California in various harsh conditions, so far so good! Good luck on getting your issue resolved

OP
OP
Dan9908

Dan9908

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I get it, shlt happens.... I’m very experienced with manual cars and while I enjoy the sport aspect of the car, it’s hardly a race car. My 392 Charger was a race car.

It’ll be fixed and as good as new. Very easy fix and likely just got a bad bearing.

Point is, a bearing really can’t be abused really.... the clutch would show obvious signs of abuse when getting to the bearing. A bearing is either good or bad.

I’m impressed with the Accord Sport. Definitely a nice car. I had a 17 Sport and loved it as well.... however, the interior is a bit wide for me. I much prefer the tucked in Si interior.

Gotch

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Si
Country flag
Probably no grease in the bearing from the supplier. It happens, missed process that wasn't caught. Nice of them to replace the clutch as well. Would have been a great time for an upgrade though.

BoostedSiCoupe

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si
Country flag
throwout bearings go bad all the time even on newer cars. defective bearing or like mentioned not lubed sufficiently from the factory.

OP
OP
Dan9908

Dan9908

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Having this Accord Sport is nice... however, I realllllly miss the Si. Not much sport in the Accord Sport

Captaindicki

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si Coupe (sold)
Country flag
Having this Accord Sport is nice... however, I realllllly miss the Si. Not much sport in the Accord Sport
If it weren’t for the Honda emblems, this Accord could pass for a Chevy Malibu. I couldn’t care less how fast or how well it drives. One of the ugliest and bloated cars to come from any japo company ever. Nice red though

Last edited:

MutatedMango

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Civic Si FC3
Country flag
If it weren’t for the Honda emblems, this Accord could pass for a Chevy Malibu. I couldn’t care less how fast or how well it drives. One of the ugliest and bloated cars to come from any japo company ever. Nice red though
You really think so? I think it's gorgeous and top 3 Accords ever made easy

Scott_ATL

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic HB Sport Touring, 2012 Ford Fusion Hybrid
Country flag
I like the new Accord. It looks to me to be a natural evolution of an '73 Ford Gran Torino Sport - massive flat front grill, sloping, wide-a$$ed rear end - but with 2 extra doors. LOL

Honda Civic 10th gen 2018 Si sitting at the dealer 20f20084-7754-44b7-99e6-108280885fed.jpg?n=HMA_4_13_17_track

BoostedSiCoupe

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si
Country flag
they def are ugly. they look like big banana boats. weird looking and huge. ill respectually pass on those.

Captaindicki

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si Coupe (sold)
Country flag
You really think so? I think it's gorgeous and top 3 Accords ever made easy
Well I may be one of the few that actually like the grill/hood tie in, the interior I like aswell. Will give it that. But the rest of the car from the front fenders on back, whoa what a screwed up mess. Definitely looking like a GM and not a evolution from last gen Accord. That thing, including sedan looked sporty and japanese, but this more of an American boat

OP
OP
Dan9908

Dan9908

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I must admit, the Accord is a nice car. I HATED the CVT in my 17 Sport, this one? Not so much. Much more fun to drive than the 17. The appearance is growing on me, it still not as sharp as the Si. If the proportions (both interior and exterior) were slightly larger than the Si but smaller than the Accord is now, I’d be way more attracted to it.

Given how nice the 1.5T is, I’d really like to drive the 2.0T/10spd !