2018 Si muffler delete drone

michaeljm4

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si
So I recently just had my mufflers taken off, and I love the sound it makes, although there is some drone when accelerating and then letting of the throttle.

I had the idea of taking my car back to the shop and getting a single muffler to the tip, such as the Borla Round XR-1.

Please let me know what you think and if this a good idea or not, or if you've done this.

Thank you
Sponsored

WHG_Si

First Name
Wade
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si
Vehicle Showcase
Drone is caused by specific resonant frequencies (specific RPMs). Mufflers, and "resonators" that are also just mufflers, quiet down ALL noise at any RPM. If you want to maintain volume level but stop a specific drone you need a Helmholtz resonator. 27won and ARK Grip exhausts use them, and it's pretty easy to do some calculations and have an exhaust shop ad one to your existing exhaust.

Luckyarmpit

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 VW Golf R, 2003 Wrangler TJ
Country flag
That's exactly why I haven't done any mods to my exhaust. I've now turned 15,000 miles on mine and the exhaust note has gotten better with time. Only so much exhaust note you can get from a 1.5L engine without it sounding like an annoying fart.

Micah

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Si 4DR FlashPro +9psi (3k-14k) Ktuner TSP Stage 1(14k-30k+) '17 Traverse LT AWD
Country flag
That's exactly why I haven't done any mods to my exhaust. I've now turned 15,000 miles on mine and the exhaust note has gotten better with time. Only so much exhaust note you can get from a 1.5L engine without it sounding like an annoying fart.
Agreed. Having owned multiple cars with v8, v6, straight 6, inline 4cyl, and a boxer engine, I am glad the stock exhaust is quiet. I can think of no other brand that more regularly had an exhaust note which sounds like an electronic cow moo'ing. Honda's are known to be reliable, but generally the exhaust note is a metal buzz. I also hate the sound of the nissan VQ exhaust. It had the tonal range of a vuvuzela.

jakabony

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si, 2019 Honda CR-V EX-L, 2017 Subaru Forester
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Here is an option that I pursued. I am extremely happy with the results.

CanadiaegeanBlue

First Name
Humza
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si Sedan - Aegean Blue Metallic
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Here is an option that I pursued. I am extremely happy with the results.

What muffler are you using? I've done a muffler delete, and at certain RPM's it does have slight drone but nothing terrible. I feel the lack of any sound deadening in the trunk contributes greatly to the noise, thus I bought 36sqft of sound deadening sheets made by Noico. There are others on this forum who have added the same insulation to enhance their sound system quality and decrease vibrations.

jakabony

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si, 2019 Honda CR-V EX-L, 2017 Subaru Forester
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
What muffler are you using? I've done a muffler delete, and at certain RPM's it does have slight drone but nothing terrible. I feel the lack of any sound deadening in the trunk contributes greatly to the noise, thus I bought 36sqft of sound deadening sheets made by Noico. There are others on this forum who have added the same insulation to enhance their sound system quality and decrease vibrations.
It is a Vibrant 1090. @odinist did it first, and I followed suit. It sounds amazing. Deep and throaty, and not too loud.

odinist

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.mithgarthr.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Aegean Blue Si Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

odinist

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.mithgarthr.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Aegean Blue Si Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

CanadiaegeanBlue

First Name
Humza
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si Sedan - Aegean Blue Metallic
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
It is a Vibrant 1090. @odinist did it first, and I followed suit. It sounds amazing. Deep and throaty, and not too loud.
Is this in addition to the factory resonator still in place?