2018 Si Coupe won't start (its dead in my garage)...

3cyltrbo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Coupe Si / 2013 Civic Sedan Si / 1998 Acura Integra Type R / 2001 MR2 Spyder / 2001 Honda Acty / 1992 Mazda AutoZam AZ1 / 1996 Daihatsu Midget II / 2010 Toyota Vitz(Yaris) / 1990 Chevrolet Turbo Sprint / 1997 Suzuki Cappuccino / 1999 Daihatsu Mira TR / 2004 Suzuki Swift Sport
Country flag
I bought my 2018 Si coupe late last summer, and because I live in the frozen north (and land of roadsalt), I store my fun cars for winter while I drive a beater.

Fast forward to this week when I decide its time to go start the Coupe, and all that happens is the car cranks and cranks but it doesn't fire.

The dealer suggested it was the battery, ......although it was disconnected all winter, and trying to jump the car doesn't make any difference
The dealer also suggested it could be bad/stale gas, although the last tank I put in was late November and it was 94octane
The dealer also suggested to try putting the keyfob directly beside the start button

None of this has changed anything

It still just cranks and cranks, but never fires up.

Any thoughts?

Will

Cliffs Notes version:
-Car stored over winter
-battery disconnected
-now car will crank but not turn over
Sponsored

repeet

Threads
Reaction score
Website
jesus7feasts.fyi
Vehicle(s)
'23 BRZ
Country flag
Low voltage makes our cars do strange things. Make sure the battery is topped off. But if the battery has a bad cell, even that won't help. Bad cells can be tricky find. Some of the guys here took their batteries to the parts store and had them checked. Sometimes they actually tested as bad. But, a few guys had the batteries test as good, yet replacing the battery fixed their problem.

OP
OP

3cyltrbo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Coupe Si / 2013 Civic Sedan Si / 1998 Acura Integra Type R / 2001 MR2 Spyder / 2001 Honda Acty / 1992 Mazda AutoZam AZ1 / 1996 Daihatsu Midget II / 2010 Toyota Vitz(Yaris) / 1990 Chevrolet Turbo Sprint / 1997 Suzuki Cappuccino / 1999 Daihatsu Mira TR / 2004 Suzuki Swift Sport
Country flag
all the lights come on super bright, and the battery is relatively new (the car was built last spring of 2017). I would have also thought that jumping it would negate the battery issue (in that the car is effectively being started off another)

Civics4Ever

Rally Red EXT
First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04 Civic Sedan LX, 17 Civic Coupe Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
It's obvious your not getting spark. It's still under warranty get it towed to the dealer. Maybe you had a mouse problem and they chewed some wires.

PhilF

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 CRV EX-L Platinum White Pearl/Ivory, 2020 CRV EX-L Crystal Black Pearl/Grey
Country flag
I had several Miatas which didn't venture out during "salt season" when sitting for the 3-4 months they hibernated, the batteries were always connected to a BatteryMINDER. This particular brand of battery maintainer keeps the battery topped off and "conditions" by sending high-frequency pulses to gently vibrate the plates. Keeping the battery on a maintainer is healthier for the battery than disconnecting it. Also, your settings and computer memory are also saved. The maintainer sold by Griot's is also good quality. Never had a failure to start after as long as 5 months using one. All of my friends who have restored and/or classic cars use maintainers as their cars are not driven enough to fully charge the batteries. I had a correct, reproduction ACDelco battery in my restored 1966 Corvair, it was VERY expensive, but necessary for AACA & CORSA judging, lasted 9 years on a BatteryMINDER.
Also agree it isn't your battery in this instance, if it cranked normally, not the battery.

Last edited:

Noize

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R, 2017 GTI SE DSG
Country flag
Agree it’s not battery. Honda should tow it for free. Get it sorted out tomorrow and warranty work.

OP
OP

3cyltrbo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Agree it’s not battery. Honda should tow it for free. Get it sorted out tomorrow and warranty work.
the consensus is its not the battery,one of the problems with having it towed (other than its my baby) is that the parking brake is on and I can't get it to "turn off" (disengage)

shoegazer

assistant to the assistant manager
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic LX Coupe 2.0 (CVT)
Country flag
Just running through the list here:

Is it possible that you blew a fuse (fuel pump/injector) during the battery reinstall process? That seems like an easy thing to check if you want.

Good luck.

OP
OP

3cyltrbo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Just running through the list here:

Is it possible that you blew a fuse (fuel pump/injector) during the battery reinstall process? That seems like an easy thing to check if you want.

Good luck.
I wondered something similar myself, although when I'm under the hood I seem to hear a hum that almost sounds like the fuel pump.

I'll have to research where the fuse's are and check out the ones you suggest because I'm quite curious

Hollywoo0220

Customer Service oriented (most of the time) :-)
First Name
RJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dihatsu Charade, BMW, Various Hondas, Focus ST, and VW GTI
Country flag
@3cyltrbo
Ok..so you’re getting crank GOOD; cylinders are not stuck and there is power going to the starter.
You may have had frozen fuel lines and condensation (even some in the tank). See if you can purge your fuel lines....

Another thought is TAP on the starter, could be just stuck...

OP
OP

3cyltrbo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
@3cyltrbo
Ok..so you’re getting crank GOOD; cylinders are not stuck and there is power going to the starter.
You may have had frozen fuel lines and condensation (even some in the tank). See if you can purge your fuel lines....

Another thought is TAP on the starter, could be just stuck...
but if it was the starter, the engine wouldn't be cranking?

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI Coupe. . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon. . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Pulsar NX . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon (2nd Donor Wagon for parts)
Country flag
the consensus is its not the battery,one of the problems with having it towed (other than its my baby) is that the parking brake is on and I can't get it to "turn off" (disengage)
You should be able to turn the Parking Brake ON and OFF without the Engine running.
(So if need be, it can be towed)

To turn the Electric Parking Brake ON or Off.:-

(1) Hold down the BRAKE pedal (Do not touch the clutch pedal)

(2) Press and release the starter TWICE.

The 2nd time, the whole Instrument panel should come alive.

Then you can operate the Electric Brake, in the normal way, with the switch, holding down the Brake pedal.

If that does not work, its a symptom of something else that is wrong, that may also be causing the car not to start.

Are you sure your FOB has a good battery. ?

Just tried the above procedure on my 2018 Si.. so I am 100% sure that it should work.. it does on my car.. (which obviously will start as well, if I wanted it to)'

Hollywoo0220

Customer Service oriented (most of the time) :-)
First Name
RJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dihatsu Charade, BMW, Various Hondas, Focus ST, and VW GTI
Country flag
but if it was the starter, the engine wouldn't be cranking?
The starter may be cranking the engine too "slowly", that is why I suggested tapping on it. With the car sitting I do not see any of the grounds to have loosened, nor the starter itself. It is understood that your vehicle is pretty much new, but has been sitting for 3-4mo in a very cold climate.
I should have explained better the first suggestion of purging the fuel lines. If by chance you know that you are achieving "spark" and there is no ignition during the crank, then it is either Fuel OR Compression.
Apologies, it is difficult to play technician at times. However, those two suggestions I mentioned are very plausible.

Civics4Ever

Rally Red EXT
First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04 Civic Sedan LX, 17 Civic Coupe Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I am betting its mice.

OP
OP

3cyltrbo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
You should be able to turn the Parking Brake ON and OFF without the Engine running.
(So if need be, it can be towed)

To turn the Electric Parking Brake ON or Off.:-

(1) Hold down the BRAKE pedal (Do not touch the clutch pedal)

(2) Press and release the starter TWICE.

The 2nd time, the whole Instrument panel should come alive.

Then you can operate the Electric Brake, in the normal way, with the switch, holding down the Brake pedal.

If that does not work, its a symptom of something else that is wrong, that may also be causing the car not to start.

Are you sure your FOB has a good battery. ?

Just tried the above procedure on my 2018 Si.. so I am 100% sure that it should work.. it does on my car.. (which obviously will start as well, if I wanted it to)'
Thank you.... this is something to try
Sponsored