SDotLee

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic SI Coupe
Country flag
Hey everyone I picked up a 2018 WOP SI Coupe back in May and all of a sudden something very strange has happened.

This morning before taking my dog out I noticed that my lights had turned on as if the car unlocked. Right as I got outside the lights shut back off. As I walked up to the car, I heard the locks go off and the lights came on again. The whole time, my keys were back inside the house in the drawer, they were not on me.

Then today I get home from work and lock the car. About 2 hours later, my car alarm starts going off on its own. I checked my security cameras and no one was near the car at all. Here we are at 11PM tonight and the alarm just went off again. After some research online, I found that it is a known issue with quite a few Honda's however, I could not find anything on the 10th gen Civics. Most people said it was the sensor on the hood latch that could be slightly unplugged or it is not properly setting when the hood is closed.

I went out to take a look and pushed the sensor clip in to make sure it was securely connected to the sensor. I am really hoping that the alarm does not start going off tonight while I am asleep.

Has anyone else experienced this issue on the 10th Gen Civics?? I am not sure what to make of the doors unlocking and lights coming on this morning, that was very strange.
Sponsored

Axatax

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
In Malkuth, surrounded by evil, low on gas.
Vehicle(s)
2K Civic DX Coupe B18C5 (swap), 2017 Civic LX Coupe 6MT
Country flag
A bad hood switch in the latch logically wouldn't make the doors unlock, but it would trip the alarm.

The problem is more than likely somewhere with the drivers door switch, BCM or the connections between these systems. Those are the only two components that can initiate an unlock command on the body LIN bus. If the door is unlocked from the inside while the security system is armed, it would exhibit all of the problems you are describing.

It would be very difficult to troubleshoot this on your own and you should bring it to the dealer.

OP
OP
SDotLee

SDotLee

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic SI Coupe
Country flag
A bad hood switch in the latch logically wouldn't make the doors unlock, but it would trip the alarm.

The problem is more than likely somewhere with the drivers door switch, BCM or the connections between these systems. Those are the only two components that can initiate an unlock command on the body LIN bus. If the door is unlocked from the inside while the security system is armed, it would exhibit all of the problems you are describing.

It would be very difficult to troubleshoot this on your own and you should bring it to the dealer.
It definitely sounds like you are on to something. I will be calling the dealership first thing tomorrow morning. I appreciate your input and I will update the thread once I have a solution from the dealer.

Last edited:

TheBatman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 CTR Boost Blue, '21 Mazda 3
Country flag
Do you have the Fob in your pocket all the time? If so, is it there alone, or does it have company (other keys, change, chapstick, etc.)?? Could be just by the movement of your 'stuff' in your pocket, it inadvertently hits the panic button. I know I've unlocked the trunk a few times by accident that way...

OP
OP
SDotLee

SDotLee

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic SI Coupe
Country flag
Do you have the Fob in your pocket all the time? If so, is it there alone, or does it have company (other keys, change, chapstick, etc.)?? Could be just by the movement of your 'stuff' in your pocket, it inadvertently hits the panic button. I know I've unlocked the trunk a few times by accident that way...
So in the two instances above I mentioned the keys were laying in a drawer the entire time which is what made it very weird.

Last night after making this post it went off around 1AM, 3AM and one more time but I do not remember the time. During those times the FOB was on the dresser next to me with nothing around it.

NoKz

Speed Limit Tester
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Si Coupe (Sold 12/2021)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I haven't had any issues with mine. I have had it chirp however when a car with a loud exhaust started next to it. But that's normal. I'm curious as to what the dealer finds.

Axatax

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
In Malkuth, surrounded by evil, low on gas.
Vehicle(s)
2K Civic DX Coupe B18C5 (swap), 2017 Civic LX Coupe 6MT
Country flag
our cars have alarms?
It's a factory security system. It starts the horn beeping if a locked door, hood or trunk is opened from the inside after the vehicle is locked. I would venture to guess 95%+ of all new vehicles have something similar.

You can see this if you roll down your windows and lock your doors by the fob or walk-away. Wait about 20 seconds, then reach in and unlock and open the door or pop the hood or trunk.

The rationale is that someone opening one of these doors without the use of the key fob is a theft attempt. It adds a bullet point to the window sticker.

type_r_wannabe

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si Coupe WOP
Country flag
I just get some piddily rapid beeping sometimes when i get out of the driver side and open the trunk with the key in my pocket. i just swear at the car in Portuguese and it stops. i enjoy my purchase

Reactions: Yal

sib2on

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Sedan (Aegean Blue)
Country flag
I just get some piddily rapid beeping sometimes when i get out of the driver side and open the trunk with the key in my pocket. i just swear at the car in Portuguese and it stops. i enjoy my purchase
Yeah I have this issue as well. I would sometime walk away from the car and it does it’s rapid beeping (as if the car is on and the key is away, or lights are left on, or the power still on etc.) for no apparent reason at all. Strange.

TheBatman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 CTR Boost Blue, '21 Mazda 3
Country flag
Yeah I have this issue as well. I would sometime walk away from the car and it does it’s rapid beeping (as if the car is on and the key is away, or lights are left on, or the power still on etc.) for no apparent reason at all. Strange.
Now THAT issue, I've experienced...just not the OP's. I'd say take it back to the stealership & have it checked out. That's just weird...

OP
OP
SDotLee

SDotLee

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic SI Coupe
Country flag
8:50PM it just happened again. It did not happen at all today during the day. Now that it's dark out it happened.

EDIT:

9PM - Disconnected the battery
9:30PM - Reconnected the battery to see if that would make a difference.

EDIT 2: Made no difference, my neighbor told me the alarm went off at 4AM for 30 minutes straight.

Last edited:
OP
OP
SDotLee

SDotLee

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic SI Coupe
Country flag
I wanted to update this for anyone else who has or may have this issue. I believe I found what the issue is (I have my appointment with Honda tomorrow morning to drop the car off).

About two weeks ago my parents stopped by and my dad pulled on my drivers side door handle (which was supposed to be locked) and the door opened. The alarm went off so it was armed and locked however, the drivers side door was not locked and he was able to open the car door setting off the alarm.

Today while sitting in the car before heading home from work, I noticed that the passenger side door locked, but the driver side remained unlocked. I manually locked the driver side by pushing the lock forward and attempted to unlock it with the switch on the door. It did not unlock. It stayed locked. I figured this may have been the problem all along so tonight I manually locked it before closing the door and used the remote to unlock the car. Everything unlocked with the exception of the driver side door. So far with the driver side manually locked the alarm has not gone off on its own.

Sorry for the long post but maybe it will help others one day. I will update the thread once I get my car back from Honda.

JFLanka

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Hatchback
I wanted to update this for anyone else who has or may have this issue. I believe I found what the issue is (I have my appointment with Honda tomorrow morning to drop the car off).

About two weeks ago my parents stopped by and my dad pulled on my drivers side door handle (which was supposed to be locked) and the door opened. The alarm went off so it was armed and locked however, the drivers side door was not locked and he was able to open the car door setting off the alarm.

Today while sitting in the car before heading home from work, I noticed that the passenger side door locked, but the driver side remained unlocked. I manually locked the driver side by pushing the lock forward and attempted to unlock it with the switch on the door. It did not unlock. It stayed locked. I figured this may have been the problem all along so tonight I manually locked it before closing the door and used the remote to unlock the car. Everything unlocked with the exception of the driver side door. So far with the driver side manually locked the alarm has not gone off on its own.

Sorry for the long post but maybe it will help others one day. I will update the thread once I get my car back from Honda.
Hi SDotLee, I'm new to this forum. I have a 2018 Civic hatchback and facing the same issue as you do. Is it resolved now? What was the response from Honda? Please let me know. Thanks in advance.
Sponsored