2018 Honda fit

civicdabest-foo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic x 1.5L turbo CVT
Country flag
This thread might be old but as someone who might take on taking on 10k more to get out of a subcompact into a new civic don't do it. The magazine's and car reviewers say my car is a blast to drive...4 door miata...psh but they don't have to live with a Mazda toyota stepchild that is the yaris ia..subcompacts are garbage and not safe compared to a bigger car..what good is the savings of money and gas when your safety is at stake. End rant
What MPG savings:D? Yaris XLE automatic gets 36 combined MPG. Fit CVT gets about the same. CivicX Sedan 1.5L on the other hand gets 36 combined also but is not a tiny car.
Sponsored

87elco

First Name
Tj
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1987 el camino ls swap, 18 civic 6speed, 86 Porsche 911 (euro spec)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Exactly lol mines manual it's supposed to get 42mpg but it doesn't... At the time the civics weren't out yet. I'm just trying to help the guy trying to buy the fit out subcompact are no bueno..dont get me started on the veloster I used to own

Myx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic EX (Hatchback/CVT)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
What MPG savings:D? Yaris XLE automatic gets 36 combined MPG. Fit CVT gets about the same. CivicX Sedan 1.5L on the other hand gets 36 combined also but is not a tiny car.
The Fit is not a tiny car compared to the Civic. My 2015 Fit has just as much front leg room, better rear leg room and less trunk space BUT it has comparable trunk space after putting the rear seat down. It is a small wonder when it comes to utilizing what little space it has, which doesn't seem little at all for some reason. I like my 2018 Civic, don't get me wrong. But I loved my Fit. No-one ever had a problem with room inside it. I still can't believe I seemed to have just as good if not better rear seat room space in the Fit than my Civic. It baffles me!

Both are great cars. The Civic has been growing on me (and still is).

87elco

First Name
Tj
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The Fit is not a tiny car compared to the Civic. My 2015 Fit has just as much front leg room, better rear leg room and less trunk space BUT it has comparable trunk space after putting the rear seat down. It is a small wonder when it comes to utilizing what little space it has, which doesn't seem little at all for some reason. I like my 2018 Civic, don't get me wrong. But I loved my Fit. No-one ever had a problem with room inside it. I still can't believe I seemed to have just as good if not better rear seat room space in the Fit than my Civic. It baffles me!

Both are great cars. The Civic has been growing on me (and still is).
I understand what you're saying but I mean in overall mass wise a civic is bigger car. It depends on your driving really if you do a lot city fit is perfect..highway accord or civic

xjoshuax89

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'11 CR-V SE, '16 Civic EX, '17 Civic HB ST
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Saw this thread and reminds me of the white Fit I saw on my way home from work. Fit Sport "Type R". Hopefully my dashcam caught it as it was ahead of me and two lanes to the right.

sjd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Si 2019 Honda Fit Sport 2019 Mazda MX-5 30th AE
Country flag
This thread might be old but as someone who might take on taking on 10k more to get out of a subcompact into a new civic don't do it. The magazine's and car reviewers say my car is a blast to drive...4 door miata...psh but they don't have to live with a Mazda toyota stepchild that is the yaris ia..subcompacts are garbage and not safe compared to a bigger car..what good is the savings of money and gas when your safety is at stake. End rant
The Fit is a perfectly safe car with an excellent crash test rating. It's a different car that the Civic but that doesn't mean it's worse. My wife actually just had an accident in our 2018 Fit Sport when someone in a Grand Cherokee turned right in front of her last week and she was unable to avoid them. It was a pretty hard hit and the Fit did a great job of protecting her. She's sore and bruised but has checked out okay. The damage estimate came back at $18K so it was a decent hit and I expect the car to be written off.

I joined this forum because I need to replace our 2015 Civic Si and now probably our 2018 Honda Fit. I love driving the Fit and miss it already. I averaged 38-40 MPG in it and it easily hauls my mountain bike which is one of the reasons I bought it. Of course there is a Fit shortage and Honda is telling me February if I order one now but that is too long. Both my wife and I refuse to drive automatics so it may not be easy to buy a car.

I am looking at either a 2018/19 Si coupe or a 2018/19 Accord Sport 2.0T 6MT. I'll then replace my 2015 Si with another Fit Sport in the Spring.

87elco

First Name
Tj
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The Fit is a perfectly safe car with an excellent crash test rating. It's a different car that the Civic but that doesn't mean it's worse. My wife actually just had an accident in our 2018 Fit Sport when someone in a Grand Cherokee turned right in front of her last week and she was unable to avoid them. It was a pretty hard hit and the Fit did a great job of protecting her. She's sore and bruised but has checked out okay. The damage estimate came back at $18K so it was a decent hit and I expect the car to be written off.

I joined this forum because I need to replace our 2015 Civic Si and now probably our 2018 Honda Fit. I love driving the Fit and miss it already. I averaged 38-40 MPG in it and it easily hauls my mountain bike which is one of the reasons I bought it. Of course there is a Fit shortage and Honda is telling me February if I order one now but that is too long. Both my wife and I refuse to drive automatics so it may not be easy to buy a car.

I am looking at either a 2018/19 Si coupe or a 2018/19 Accord Sport 2.0T 6MT. I'll then replace my 2015 Si with another Fit Sport in the Spring.[/QUO
It's safe for a subcompact yeah but not safer than a compact or midsize.

sjd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
It's safe for a subcompact yeah but not safer than a compact or midsize.
I don't think you know how NHSTA ratings work. The Fit and Civic both get 5 stars. 5 stars is 5 stars when compared against similar weight classes. The Fit might be a subcompact but it is close to the Civic in weight and the NHSTA class is cars within 250 pounds of each other.

The Civic coupe actually only has a 4 star rating for front crash, less than the Fit which gets 5.

87elco

First Name
Tj
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I don't think you know how NHSTA ratings work. The Fit and Civic both get 5 stars. 5 stars is 5 stars when compared against similar weight classes. The Fit might be a subcompact but it is close to the Civic in weight and the NHSTA class is cars within 250 pounds of each other.

The Civic coupe actually only has a 4 star rating for front crash, less than the Fit which gets 5.
Ok. Glad everything worked out alright with yours. Safety rating tests are done at a pretty low mph. It's a good reference point but at high speeds it is a whole different ballgame. Imho.

sjd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Ok. Glad everything worked out alright with yours. Safety rating tests are done at a pretty low mph. It's a good reference point but at high speeds it is a whole different ballgame. Imho.
Why are you driving a Civic then? By your logic you should be driving a Ford F-450.

skshrews

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura 2005 TSX, Honda Civic Hatchback LX 6MT 2017
Country flag
Can't stand the logic of "driving a big car is safer".
Large vehicles are harder to control, see around, steer, and most importantly, stop.
Yes, if you are hit by a tractor trailer, you want to be in the largest vehicle you can. If you want to avoid an accident, you are better off in a smaller vehicle.

I've driven the Fit and, more horrifically, the Ford Festiva (that was a tin box) for years at a time and had no issues.

Most importantly, learn to drive-stay away from large vehicles, check your rear view mirror constantly, stay out of blind spots, don't assume the other guy is going to stop at intersections, etc.

Last edited:

87elco

First Name
Tj
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Why are you driving a Civic then? By your logic you should be driving a Ford F-450.[/QUOTE
Not my style but thanks for your input it is really appreciated and valued.

Last edited:

87elco

First Name
Tj
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Can't stand the logic of "driving a big car is safer".
Large vehicles are harder to control, see around, steer, and most importantly, stop.
Yes, if you are hit by a tractor trailer, you want to be in the largest vehicle you can. If you want to avoid an accident, you are better off in a smaller vehicle.

I've driven the Fit and, more horrifically, the Ford Festiva (that was a tin box) for years at a time and had no issues.

Most importantly, learn to drive-stay away from large vehicles, check your rear view mirror constantly, stay out of blind spots, don't assume the other guy is going to stop at intersections, etc.
I guess your lucky when you see as many accidents as I have with subcompacts you'd change your mind...you can't control the other idiots texting,drinking and driving or facetiming anymore.

REBELXSi

Señor Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Si coupe RIP, '20 CRV EX-L Hybrid
Country flag
I had a 2007 fit 5spd for about 10 years. Sold it at like 80k miles and it had 1 minor issue in 10 years. It was a solid car and handled pretty well for what it was. Having said that it was a bit terrifying on highways and it was very cheap on the inside.

Overall not a bad little car for the most basic of transportation needs.

I too had an 07 Fit and I had it for 11 years until may of this year when it got totalled in an accident. I had 175k on it and besides a leaking trunk and the alternator going on me, that thing was trouble free with nothing but oil and brake changes. I miss it and I would have loved to keep it along my Si but it met an untimely death lol. Wouldn't mind buying another one if I can find some extra money and keep some miles off my Si.

87elco

First Name
Tj
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I too had an 07 Fit and I had it for 11 years until may of this year when it got totalled in an accident. I had 175k on it and besides a leaking trunk and the alternator going on me, that thing was trouble free with nothing but oil and brake changes. I miss it and I would have loved to keep it along my Si but it met an untimely death lol. Wouldn't mind buying another one if I can find some extra money and keep some miles off my Si.
If that's your car in your avatar where'd you get that shift knob ? That thing is niiiice
Sponsored