2018 EX infotainment question

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Civic EX sedan
Country flag
Hi,

Has there been any upgrades to the 2018 Civic EX infotainment system since the 2016 model year?? I always seem to read that was one of the only weakness with the new 2016 model year and was just wondering if the issues have been addressed in the current 2018 model, OR, is it the same exact system with the same quirks as 2016??

Thanks
Michael in NJ
Sponsored

LegendaryElite

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic EX w/ Sensing
Country flag
Has there been any upgrades to the 2018 Civic EX infotainment system since the 2016 model year?? I always seem to read that was one of the only weakness with the new 2016 model year and was just wondering if the issues have been addressed in the current 2018 model, OR, is it the same exact system with the same quirks as 2016??
It's exactly the same. I have heard that there may be a refresh this year but don't put your hope on it.
Personally I don't feel like the infotainment is bad at all, just a bit laggy but is tolerable. And I can understand why many don't like the touch interface but I don't really mind it.
Also having both Android Auto and Apple Carplay is a big plus.

briq4

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Touring
Country flag
I just wish that whenever you turn on the turn signal the Honda Watch system didn't completely cancel out whatever you might have been doing with the system, be it entering a navigation destination or if you are composing a text using siri the right turn signal cancels it out. Kinda dumb since you don't need to see the animation of the Apple CarPlay it could still be listening while y0u are turning. Just my .02.

Empyrean

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Hatchback EX
Country flag
I just wish that whenever you turn on the turn signal the Honda Watch system didn't completely cancel out whatever you might have been doing with the system, be it entering a navigation destination or if you are composing a text using siri the right turn signal cancels it out. Kinda dumb since you don't need to see the animation of the Apple CarPlay it could still be listening while y0u are turning. Just my .02.
You can turn it off so it only comes on when you hit the button. Not sure if thats what you want since you always have to hit the button.

briq4

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Touring
Country flag
Yeah I know I can do it that way, kinda defeats the purpose of the LaneWatch tho. :)

FanMailMe

First Name
Dom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Hatchback EX
Country flag
Tied into the infotainment center to an extent is you cant use the volume rocker on the steering wheel as a touch control volume button which in my opinion sucks alot, that was really simple to do rather than having to hold it for 2-3 seconds both ways

Leveslady

First Name
Christina
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Touring 2018, Honda Type R 2021
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Hi,

Thanks
Michael in NJ

I wondered this too! Just bought a 2018 and wondered if there are any updates already?

JoeShades

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic EX-T Sedan
Country flag
Some in here were talking about sofware updates for the 2016 and 2017 that are available but that don;t apply to the 18s so I assume the 18s have updated software. It seems fine to me

latole

Civic Lx 2018 Manual , Civic LX 2016 Manual
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Lx 2018 Manual , Civic LX 2016 Manual
Country flag
My wife own a 2016 EX and I bough a 2018 EX
Exactly same car with same infotainment .

delsorbo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic si sedan '18
Country flag
maybe it's my phone but android auto is very buggy. waze always takes a while to boot up and google maps is too dumbed down. i actually dont mind the default nav

LoneWoof

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sedan EX-T w/ Sensing
Country flag
maybe it's my phone but android auto is very buggy. waze always takes a while to boot up and google maps is too dumbed down. i actually dont mind the default nav
AFAIK, The apps in Android Auto are just powered by your photo displaying it on your infotainment console. So if you have a faster, newer phone, it'll be faster than the slower phones.

btonetbone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic
It appears to be very similar, but there are some differences. The found differences don't have to do with function, though. For example, in the 2016 and 2017 versions, you can enable "developer options" with a simple passcode. The passcode doesn't work for 2018 models. Additionally, the 2018 model has the web browser and a few other apps hidden. So, I'd argue that there are likely other unknown differences that have yet to be found as well. But most people will never know the difference.

delsorbo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic si sedan '18
Country flag
AFAIK, The apps in Android Auto are just powered by your photo displaying it on your infotainment console. So if you have a faster, newer phone, it'll be faster than the slower phones.
I believe there is an issue with android auto in general. my apps operate normally on my phone and with the phone version of android auto. once it's connected to the car, it freezes. sometimes when i get back into the car and reconnect, it will suddenly start playing music even though I had stopped it prior to ending the ride before.
Sponsored