1. Guest, see the CivicX Forum Rules and User Agreement before posting.  After reading click here to dismiss this notice →
    Dismiss Notice

2018 CTR 1800 miles question regarding ting ting noise up front??

Discussion in 'Civic Type R Forum (FK8 - 10th Gen)' started by CWCTR2018, Nov 7, 2018.

1. CWCTR2018 Senior Member

First Name:
    John
    Car(s):
    CTR
    Once in a blue moon i hear a ting noise coming from what i think the front left of the vehicle .. Since it is about 40 degrees outside , car is garaged and fully warmed up , i heard the noise again when at complete stop pulling up into the driveway and slightly heard it taking off from the stop light . Car drives beautifully at any speed and is not daily driven or a track car, bought the car may 2018. Never hit a pot hole on the stock rims , sometimes very loud ting ting ting , not the brembo brake squeal. I find it hard to believe something is wrong , i do change from sport , type r , comfort mode alot during my drive. The only thing i could think off maybe it is the intercooler with hot and cold expansion or contraction with coils . I am stumped and so is the honda service operator who makes the appointments , not a tech. I am running a E30 tune on Hondata everything stock. I would find it hard to believe a axle or some kind of suspension component is broken since the car drives straight, fast, and have only heard the noise a few times and it cannot be reproduced.
    I am stumped and find it hard to believe a track car could be messed up at 1700 miles.
    Can you guys think of anything?
    Thanks

Last edited: Nov 7, 2018
    boweldi thanked this.
  2. OP

CWCTR2018 Senior Member

First Name:
    John
    Car(s):
    CTR
    bump

3. krees

krees Senior Member

Car(s):
    2017 Civic SI & 2017 Subaru WRX
    I get some occassional "groaning" but i assume its the diff. No tings though

4. wEaK Squad

wEaK Squad *ATL*

Huracan GT3 Technician
    First Name:
    Justin
    Car(s):
    18 CBP FK8
    I get the same ting noise probably 1 time every 2 weeks. Always sounds like a rock hitting the brake shield backing plate. And it always seems to happen right before stopping.

UFO CTR thanked this.
  5. uhhhson Member

First Name:
    jordan
    Car(s):
    2015 TACOMA, 2015 EVO X, 2018 CIVIC TYPE R
    I was hearing some weird noise coming from the front end of my car and when I went to put on my snow tires I noticed this

376ABFCC-5342-45B2-8183-EA5C4401D2D7.jpeg

6. EnjoyDriving Senior Member

Car(s):
    2018 CW FK8
    The tires inner wall was rubbing??

7. uhhhson Member

First Name:
    jordan
    Car(s):
    2015 TACOMA, 2015 EVO X, 2018 CIVIC TYPE R
    Yea, it would sound likes brakes squealing and it would also sound like something was flicking the brake dust shield

8. EnjoyDriving Senior Member

Car(s):
    2018 CW FK8
    would you be able to post up picture(s) from a bit further away? Thanks

9. OP

CWCTR2018 Senior Member

First Name:
    John
    Car(s):
    CTR
    My tire psi has not been messed with since the PDI back in may and has about 33-36 psi right now,

also the ting noise will make a noise for quite awhile either when cutting the wheel left or right . I cannot reproduce it and it sounds like it is coming from the the Front left but maybe its the intercooler idk.. Someone mentioned rocks can get caught under the brake shield which could make a noise. Geez i hope nothing is wrong. Car drives like new , and there is no noise over bumps even in type r mode.

10. chitlins37

chitlins37 New Member

Car(s):
    18’ CTR
    I had a very similar noise on inside of front left tire that ended up being a loose cover on the inside of the brake assembly. Tech tightened it up & so far so good. Got loose enough to notice the noise today at 1k miles.

A difference in my case was I only heard the tinging when the wheel was moving, helped to isolate it for sure.

11. CTRFK8 Senior Member

First Name:
    Sauce
    Car(s):
    2018 CTR
    Weird screeching, rattling, clank clank, something hitting front side wheel area that sounds like it involves metal at random speeds on reverse or forward driving. Most likely a stubborn rock stuck in between rotor. Pull wheel out and have a look.

12. OP

CWCTR2018 Senior Member

First Name:
    John
    Car(s):
    CTR
    i saw the picture of the rock in between the rotor and shield stuck,, that has to be it .. Thanks feel alot better lol
    i do not think it is a major concern right now but geez it sounds scary to hear on a new car. I had a person looking at me funny just going into reverse cutting the wheel it happen. Then it goes away. you should have see the look on this guys face. Sometime in Feb i will be putting on winters and will find that stubborn rock . I am pretty sure it is on the front left

13. OP

CWCTR2018 Senior Member

First Name:
    John
    Car(s):
    CTR
    Cool , would like to investigate this cover , what is the name o f the part# on the front left wheel diagram in the parts catalog? If i have the part# i can look it up , not sure where a cover is on the brake assembly?

14. CTRFK8 Senior Member

First Name:
    Sauce
    Car(s):
    2018 CTR
    Yup, sometimes that piece of rock gets lose then bounces around for a few then gets stuck again. No noise for a few minutes or until you park. Once you reverse that rocks get lose, bounces around, gets caught, screechs/rattles. Usually can hear the noise from 0-45mph, breaking, coming to a stop. If you hear rattling(something hitting a thin metal plate sound on front wheels) and screeching, its a rock/gravel. It's embarrassing driving pass people lol.

15. OP

CWCTR2018 Senior Member

First Name:
    John
    Car(s):
    CTR
    I am pretty sure this is it, what is funny the dealers at the service center were not aware of this so i might call them tomorrow to let them know.. Either way i highly doubt anything is loose , i do not daily drive the car so the squeal has been loud a few times. I noticed you are in colorado so yeah the roads probably are not the best for rocks being loose on the ground around here with the pot holes.