1. Guest, see the CivicX Forum Rules and User Agreement before posting.  After reading click here to dismiss this notice →
    Dismiss Notice

2018 Civic vs. 2019 Jetta

Discussion in 'Civic versus...' started by Zooropa82, Jul 11, 2018.

1. Zooropa82

Zooropa82 Senior Member

Featured Threads:
    Car(s):
    2016 Civic EX-T(Sold) 2017 CRV EX - 2018 Impreza Sport w/Eyesight
  2. Zerostatic

Zerostatic Senior Member

Car(s):
    Honda Fit, Honda CR-V
    Thanks for the link. The Jetta doesn't seem to be getting much positive buzz but I am a fan. I went to a car show and I saw a white Jetta r-line (that's the sport package which comes with nice wheels, blacked out grill, mirror caps and two tone leatherette seats) and it was pretty damn sexy. It looked like an Audi A3.

I think the base Jetta is pretty compelling as well. It starts in the 18's and comes with the turbo engine (with an 8 speed auto instead of a CVT), Apple Carplay and Aluminum wheels and of course the 6 year warranty. As someone who sees Car Play as a must have, and hates hubcaps that is pretty amazing. I'd take a base Jetta over a base civic personally. Better features, faster with a better tranny, and a much better warranty. No contest imo.

Dicecube and neteng101 thanked this.
  3. neteng101 Senior Member

Featured Threads:
    Car(s):
    2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
    The base is missing a compact spare tire - you just get a repair kit. Other than that - its a great value overall. The higher trims are almost like baby Audis... the panoramic sunroof is a full panel like the Audis. And you get stuffs in some models you won't find in any Civic - blind spot/rear cross traffic monitor, full digital dash, the 8-inch infotainment touchscreen is blindingly fast in comparison to the Civic's Display Audio (not sure if the 6.5 inch is that good but I suspect it will be way faster too). And a real hood that's solid and won't dent easily and the paint and windshield isn't going to chip as easily. Plus real audio knobs and non touchscreen climate controls.

Its not faster than a turbo Civic though, and not quite as sharp handling as the Civic hatchback/Si. No brake hold feature either, and the models with adaptive cruise control doesn't have a low speed mode. There's a big hump/tunnel in the middle of the Jetta so its more 4 adults + 1 child max.

4. Multaq

Multaq Senior Member

First Name:
    Nick
    Car(s):
    2018 Civic LX 6SPD
    Garage Profiles:
  5. Zerostatic

Zerostatic Senior Member

Car(s):
    Honda Fit, Honda CR-V
    Honda's are also known for Tranny issues. I'd still buy a Honda just I would consider a VW. The Honda tranny issues have been automatic transmissions with specific cars (i.e. Preludes and J-series V6 models). VW while on average will be less reliable than Honda, there are VW models that have been more reliable than certain Honda models, also things change. In fact, one look at any recent reliability survey will show that Honda has indeed slipped a bit. Toyota has been the most consistent when it comes to reliability and even they have had notable and serious reliability issues. I would never be so black and white about these sort of things.

Dicecube thanked this.
  6. Multaq

Multaq Senior Member

First Name:
    Nick
    Car(s):
    2018 Civic LX 6SPD
    Garage Profiles:

Well we are not comparing all models here. It was a Jetta vs Civic and the Civic is much more reliable. The engine in the civics has always been bullet proof. I have several friends with 200,000 miles + on their civics and theyve only had to do routine maintenance on them.

7. RobbJK88

RobbJK88 Senior Member

Featured Threads:
    Graphic Designer
    Car(s):
    2016 Honda Civic EX-T Coupe
    Garage Profiles:
    Basically what i took away from the article that compared the Jetta and civic EX (non-turbo) if you're budget is tight, the lower trim Jetta's are a bit better than the lower trim civics, BUT, if you can afford an EX-T trim the civic automatically becomes the better value for price and performance.

8. neteng101 Senior Member

Featured Threads:
    Car(s):
    In that middle range only though - once you go to the higher trims, the Touring Civic just loses out on features to the SEL Premium. And you can already find the Jettas in all trims around 2.5k+ off MSRP now. The Civic turbo is better in terms of engine performance, suspension/handling, back seat passenger space (Jetta is really a 4+1 with its huge middle hump) and trunk space. The Jettas with digital dash, interior lighting, panoramic sunroof and Beats audio is a whole level more upscale than the Civic plus you get 2 knobs for the audio system and full non-touchscreen climate controls, and the touchscreen is lightning fast in comparison to the slow Digital Audio on the Civic.

Safety features - blind spot monitoring with rear cross traffic is a big plus if you ask me. Honda's Lanewatch is on the wrong side of the car, only covers one side and does nothing to warn you about traffic when you're backing out. Its crazy they actually kept Lanewatch for the 2019 Insight! Plus the Lanewatch camera is pretty useless at night and in bad weather too.

mjh and dastanli thanked this.
  9. RobbJK88

RobbJK88 Senior Member

Featured Threads:
    Graphic Designer
    Car(s):
    Garage Profiles:
    It really depends on what’s more important to the driver. For me, the higher power of the civic trumps the one engine option of the Jetta until the GLI makes its appearance. And it’s pretty much a given that the refreshed civics will have sensing standard EX and above as well as the new touchscreen which has a knob (could care less that’s what steering wheel controls are for) and faster operation. And I personally love the lanewatch camera. I’m glad they decided to bring it back in combination with the blind spot monitoring. I like being able to see what’s next to me. I do wish there was another camera on the driver side, but I appreciate having at least one side covered. And personally I think the camera works fine in rain and dark

xbbnx thanked this.
  10. Dicecube

Dicecube Senior Member

Car(s):
    2016 Honda Civic Touring
    How reliable is a Honda cvt transmission?

11. neteng101 Senior Member

Featured Threads:
    Car(s):
    There is no blind spot monitoring coming if they keep Lanewatch. The 2019 Insight lacks blind spot, it just has the same Lanewatch system in the Civic. If you prefer Lanewatch, its likely the Civic refresh will retain this for now (unlike the new CR-V and Accords which are now blind spot monitoring in place of Lanewatch). If Honda uses the 2019 Insight setup for the touchscreen/climate controls, that should eliminate the major issues with the current gen system in the '16-'18 Civics.

12. Multaq

Multaq Senior Member

First Name:
    Nick
    Car(s):
    2018 Civic LX 6SPD
    Garage Profiles:

Ive seen several cars over 70,000 miles on the Odometer and never had any CVT issues. As far as the manuals reliability I only have seen lower mileage ones but mine has 8,000 miles on it and I have no issues

13. RobbJK88

RobbJK88 Senior Member

Featured Threads:
    Graphic Designer
    Car(s):
    Garage Profiles:
    If it were up to me i wouldn't have ANY of the honda sensing, i don't want/need any of those systems, except maybe adaptive cruise control (because traffic). I highly prefer the lanewatch camera to blindspot monitor system (i've seen it on the CRV and it bugs me, surely something i'd get used to over time). Given the recent refresh of the HRV, Pilot, and the new insight im sure the refreshed civic will get the newer touchscreen and updated software system and will be heaps better than the current setup. I don't have a huge issue with it as is, i plug my phone in, apple carplay and other than that don't really touch/interact with it much except to change a song now and then. Same for the "missing" volume knob. Even when i had a physical control i never used it, i just use the steering wheel controls, but my 16' still has the slider function built in.

14. Multaq

Multaq Senior Member

First Name:
    Nick
    Car(s):
    2018 Civic LX 6SPD
    Garage Profiles:
    I may be a little baised because ive owned a Jetta before a 2014 Jetta and at 45,000 miles I had to do $800 of repairs because of an electrical issue. But I would never reccomend a Jetta to anyone. Ive experienced it and heard from several people theyre not reliable.

15. dastanli Senior Member

Car(s):
    Camry, Tacoma
    I am just hoping that I will be able to swap in (if they update to a new touchscreen) the new touchscreen.