2018 Civic Type R Ultimate Transmission Issue

Zeffy94

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mazda3 GT Hatch 6AT, 2018 Honda Civic Type R (traded in)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Interested in results of spirited/fast 1-2 shifts after the replacement.
So am I. I just got a grind this morning doing a hard shift from 1 - 2. Bounced off the rev limiter. The sound was exactly as heard in the video linked above.

Most of the other times I just get crunchy shifts; this one was distinctly different sound wise. It went into gear but not before making a horrid sound as the knob moved from 1st to 2nd.

In my experience... this car doesn’t like to be shifted at high RPM. Most of my worst feeling shifts occur when the needle is pushing above 5K; or, when I’m mashing the gas before I release and clutch in.

Honestly worried about all the crunchiness and the fact this time I managed to grind it doesn’t have me feeling good either.
Sponsored

OP
OP
ggvicviper

ggvicviper

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R
Country flag
Interested in results of spirited/fast 1-2 shifts after the replacement.
So am I. I just got a grind this morning doing a hard shift from 1 - 2. Bounced off the rev limiter. The sound was exactly as heard in the video linked above.

Most of the other times I just get crunchy shifts; this one was distinctly different sound wise. It went into gear but not before making a horrid sound as the knob moved from 1st to 2nd.

In my experience... this car doesn’t like to be shifted at high RPM. Most of my worst feeling shifts occur when the needle is pushing above 5K; or, when I’m mashing the gas before I release and clutch in.

Honestly worried about all the crunchiness and the fact this time I managed to grind it doesn’t have me feeling good either.
So, I tried some more spirited shifts. Still no crunchiness or grinding.

I even tried from a turn, which used to be a surefire way to get serious grind & problems. Nope. Shifted clean.

I'm going to keep trying to replicate the issue before declaring victory, but things are looking good after the gearbox replacement.

Zeffy94

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mazda3 GT Hatch 6AT, 2018 Honda Civic Type R (traded in)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
So, I tried some more spirited shifts. Still no crunchiness or grinding.

I even tried from a turn, which used to be a surefire way to get serious grind & problems. Nope. Shifted clean.

I'm going to keep trying to replicate the issue before declaring victory, but things are looking good after the gearbox replacement.
That’s good news. Unfortunately, if we suffer from it then we basically need a way to convince Honda we need a transmission replacement. I’m not even sure if we can really do that since the dealer likes to play the “couldn’t replicate it” card a lot of the times.

OP
OP
ggvicviper

ggvicviper

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R
Country flag
So in the weeks I got the car back, I have been testing it quite a lot. The car is still going strong with the new gearshift. Pretty happy. I may still mod the CMC, but I'm saving that for another date.

Meanwhile, to accommodate the new transmission and the extreme weather we have in the NYC metro area, I updated the shift knob to a Mugen carbon fiber one. I still get that arcade-style balltop action, but now I don't have to worry about freezing my hand in winter and branding my hand in summer. Also, it feels like the shift quality is a little better, and it's even more fun to shift now:

Honda Civic 10th gen 2018 Civic Type R Ultimate Transmission Issue IMG_7897

Dig it!

CbusHondaFan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Si TW, 2019 Civic Type R CW
Country flag
That's interesting to me. I have the exact opposite opinion. I find my CTR shifts more smoothly when the RPMs are high, say at least over 5,000 or thereabouts. Not that my CTR has ever given me any problems when shifting. I've never had a gear grind but I find the car enjoys being shifted when driving more spiritedly - overall it's a smoother shifting experience for me when shifting at higher RPMs.

softmando

First Name
Armando
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R, 2019 Civic Sport Touring
Country flag
Hey all, i have a 2018 Type R that just had its trans replaced due to the infamous 1-2 gear grind. I took a video and everything and im surprised Honda actually decided to replace my trans under warranty. I put around 500 miles on the trans before i did some spirited driving around the canyons. Everything was going well until i was driving home and next thing you know i get the second gear grind on the new trans. I let my service advisor know that it happened but im hesitant on getting it replaced again. It took sooo long, plus they’re just going to replace it with the same trans that will most likely grind 2nd gear

2RBO_FK7

First Name
Jaemiel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
More than two weeks after I dropped the car off, I have yet to hear that the dealership even LOOKED at the car. Getting really frustrated.
How did you find out that they didn’t look at your car?

2RBO_FK7

First Name
Jaemiel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
Hey all, i have a 2018 Type R that just had its trans replaced due to the infamous 1-2 gear grind. I took a video and everything and im surprised Honda actually decided to replace my trans under warranty. I put around 500 miles on the trans before i did some spirited driving around the canyons. Everything was going well until i was driving home and next thing you know i get the second gear grind on the new trans. I let my service advisor know that it happened but im hesitant on getting it replaced again. It took sooo long, plus they’re just going to replace it with the same trans that will most likely grind 2nd gear
Did they fix the problem on your car?

softmando

First Name
Armando
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Did they fix the problem on your car?
They replaced the trans but its honestly worse than the first one. It grinds like crazy and it gets stuck right before 4th every time i downshift from 5th. So i guess you can say no to the problem being fixed

2RBO_FK7

First Name
Jaemiel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
They replaced the trans but its honestly worse than the first one. It grinds like crazy and it gets stuck right before 4th every time i downshift from 5th. So i guess you can say no to the problem being fixed
Damn that’s sad

OP
OP
ggvicviper

ggvicviper

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R
Country flag
What's the latest on this? Have you gone back to the dealer?

softmando

First Name
Armando
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
What's the latest on this? Have you gone back to the dealer?
Not yet. It gets pretty exhausting going back and forth to the dealership but i will soon. I need to set up a camera to film myself driving so i can catch the gear grind and bring it in as proof

Spolo

First Name
Sebastien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazdaspeed 3
Country flag
Not yet. It gets pretty exhausting going back and forth to the dealership but i will soon. I need to set up a camera to film myself driving so i can catch the gear grind and bring it in as proof
It's been six month now, has anything changed with your gearbox?

Last edited:

softmando

First Name
Armando
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
It's been six month now, has anything changed with your gearbox?
2nd, 3rd and 5th gear grind on upshifts and its still hard to get into 4th after downshifting from 5th

CBPFK8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 FK8
Country flag
'19 R here. Also experiencing 4th gear lockouts and 2nd gear grinds. Personally I would never take my car to the dealer for this, unless the issue is bad enough that you want them to beat the crap out of your car in an attempt to "replicate the issue". And like a previous poster before me noted, I'm not convinced a new (identical) transmission is going to fix the issue, even if they're somehow agreeable to replacing it.

I've come to notice that the 2nd gear grind can be almost entirely avoided by not ripping it from 1st > 2nd gear. Even with a flashpro tune (which supposedly "fixes" rev-hang), I've noticed that revs sometimes drop extremely slowly on the R (at least compared to my previous 8th gen Si with Flashpro). I'm inclined to think that this slow rev-drop is what causes the 2nd gear grind when the stick is jammed into 2nd gear before the revs drop appropriately.

Likewise, 4th gear lockout (which happens way too often for my liking) seems to be most prominent when the stick is pulled from 3rd > 4th gear quickly before revs drop. Or when the stick is pulled from 5th > 4th on downshifts without an adequate "blip" to raise and match the revs.

It being summer currently, I'm often blasting the A/C, which seems to put enough of a "drag" on the engine to make revs fall faster in general. But when the cabin is sufficiently cooled that the A/C isn't working as hard, or when A/C turned off entirely, it seems the revs drop noticeably slower during shifts (presumably since there's less parasitic drag from the A/C compressor?).

I don't mean to turn this into a discussion about rev-hang (or rather, the slow rate of rev-DROP), but I'm inclined to think that this is goes hand-in-hand with our 2nd and 4th gear issues. What do yall think?
Sponsored