500hp is the goal.
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Civic Si
Country flag
Just about to swap out my MTF at 3,500 miles. Going to use amsoil syncromesh but now I'm super worried if they do issue a recall. They will try and dick with me about it.
Either way they will fight you to not pay for repairs. Might as well use a decent fluid to help prevent the same issue.
Sponsored

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI Coupe. . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon. . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Pulsar NX . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon (2nd Donor Wagon for parts)
Country flag
Either way they will fight you to not pay for repairs. Might as well use a decent fluid to help prevent the same issue.
100% agree, and since the Amsoil meets all the specs require, and is a better oil, why not use it.
Amsoil engine oil gives a warranty on the oil not damaging the engine, do not know if that is the case with their Transmission Fluid.

Personally, I will be switching to Amsoil when I do my 1st transmission fluid change and might do more than one change (over a short time) to get the % of Amsoil oil in the box, closer to 100%.
It's going to be interesting to see how much contamination there is in the Honda Oil when I do this 1st change.

So far, no signs of any gearbox issues.. move freely and smoothly between all gears.

Mcclaughry95

500hp is the goal.
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Civic Si
Country flag
100% agree, and since the Amsoil meets all the specs require, and is a better oil, why not use it.
Amsoil engine oil gives a warranty on the oil not damaging the engine, do not know if that is the case with their Transmission Fluid.

Personally, I will be switching to Amsoil when I do my 1st transmission fluid change and might do more than one change (over a short time) to get the % of Amsoil oil in the box, closer to 100%.
It's going to be interesting to see how much contamination there is in the Honda Oil when I do this 1st change.

So far, no signs of any gearbox issues.. move freely and smoothly between all gears.
Should be all of their fluids from what I've seen. As long as your not on the track they cover everything. I changed mtf and engine oil for amsoil at 3k miles. Still cant believe the difference it made. I was idling rough and forcing through gears before.

red06

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Civic Hatch 6MT
Country flag
You could always just drop the Amsoil and refill it with Honda MTF in this scenario. It will cost a few bucks in wasted fluid but it could be worth it.
I think it nearly implausible that they would pay for a fluid analysis to determine what MTF you've got unless they genuinely suspect a problem was caused by the fluid (say you filled it with Simple Green or something).

fitz318is

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic hatch sport
Country flag
I have kept a log of all my 2nd gear crunches and almost all have been making a turn from a stop sign on a lazy 1-2 shift, warm or cold.

"Normal operation" according to my dealer.

OP
OP
ggvicviper

ggvicviper

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R
Country flag
I have kept a log of all my 2nd gear crunches and almost all have been making a turn from a stop sign on a lazy 1-2 shift, warm or cold.

"Normal operation" according to my dealer.
Update - the dealer just told me that Honda will pay for a new transmission - but not my clutch. They're demanding I pay for my clutch. Obviously I am speaking to my lawyer today.

This type of garbage is making me want to not give anymore business to Honda. At all. They should take responsibility for their own faulty product and not keep trying to pin it on "user error" and "that's how it supposed to operate". I'm really, really disgusted.

OP
OP
ggvicviper

ggvicviper

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R
Country flag
Update - the dealer just told me that Honda will pay for a new transmission - but not my clutch. They're demanding I pay for my clutch. Obviously I am speaking to my lawyer today.

This type of garbage is making me want to not give anymore business to Honda. At all. They should take responsibility for their own faulty product and not keep trying to pin it on "user error" and "that's how it supposed to operate". I'm really, really disgusted.
The dealer's claims that I need a new clutch seemed very suspicious, given the reasoning (saying either the clutch was always being ridden, or the car wasn't being shifted with the clutch depressed, neither of which are things I do), and especially after I continued pressing on who I could speak to at Honda to negotiate it, and they didn't want me talking to anyone at corporate. I ended up passing on the clutch replacement, and they pressed on it more and more as if Honda wouldn't pay for my tranny unless I paid for a new clutch out of pocket, which further heightened my suspicion of the dealer, and strengthened my resolve not to do the clutch work.

At the end of day, there's so much shady going on that I definitely won't be using that dealership for anything again. My relationship with Honda after this is still a bit strained, but since they are paying for the transmission 100%, I have to step back and let them do warranty work, and try to give them some benefit of the doubt.

Zeffy94

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mazda3 GT Hatch 6AT, 2018 Honda Civic Type R (traded in)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The dealer's claims that I need a new clutch seemed very suspicious, given the reasoning (saying either the clutch was always being ridden, or the car wasn't being shifted with the clutch depressed, neither of which are things I do), and especially after I continued pressing on who I could speak to at Honda to negotiate it, and they didn't want me talking to anyone at corporate. I ended up passing on the clutch replacement, and they pressed on it more and more as if Honda wouldn't pay for my tranny unless I paid for a new clutch out of pocket, which further heightened my suspicion of the dealer, and strengthened my resolve not to do the clutch work.

At the end of day, there's so much shady going on that I definitely won't be using that dealership for anything again. My relationship with Honda after this is still a bit strained, but since they are paying for the transmission 100%, I have to step back and let them do warranty work, and try to give them some benefit of the doubt.
Yeah, that’s definitely BS. I would say let them replace the transmission and see. I don’t think you wore out the stock clutch anywhere near enough to warrant a replacement.

Still, if you severely damaged gears it’s nerve wracking to not think about your own gearbox... especially with some of the things I’ve felt and heard when shifting. I don’t truly know what a grind sounds like since this is my first manual car and I think the only grind I’ve heard is similar to the sound of a squeaky clean object being wrung out. That’s the best way I can describe it. Otherwise, I have crunchy shifts all the time and whether or not it’s a grind anymore I just don’t know.

That’s what worries me in the back of my head - although, since I’m almost to 20K on the odo without any noticeable issues, I’d like to assume my gears are fine.

OP
OP
ggvicviper

ggvicviper

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R
Country flag
So the transmission has been replaced, and I will pick up the car after work. Whether or not this will fix the issue permanently remains to be seen.

At least I can stop driving the automatic Accord loaner now.

OP
OP
ggvicviper

ggvicviper

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R
Country flag
Apparently, this is the source of the issue, and how you can fix it:

Zeffy94

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mazda3 GT Hatch 6AT, 2018 Honda Civic Type R (traded in)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Here's how a grind looks. In my experience, it won't even let you into second gear.

Well then that’s a relief. I’ve never heard anything like that before. The most I get is some serious crunchiness but it never has stopped me from going into gear.

OP
OP
ggvicviper

ggvicviper

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R
Country flag
Post servicing, I've been driving the car all weekend. I haven't gotten one crunch, lockout, or any weirdness from the transmission. Didn't do anything with the clutch or CMC. Wondering if it was simply a faulty transmission that's giving all these cars issues.

I hope the car keeps it up. Next I want to try pushing it a bit more, see if I get the same results.

krees

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R & 2020 Ridgeline BE
Country flag
Post servicing, I've been driving the car all weekend. I haven't gotten one crunch, lockout, or any weirdness from the transmission. Didn't do anything with the clutch or CMC. Wondering if it was simply a faulty transmission that's giving all these cars issues.

I hope the car keeps it up. Next I want to try pushing it a bit more, see if I get the same results.
Interested in results of spirited/fast 1-2 shifts after the replacement.

Caestus

First Name
Jeremiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Civic Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Dealership opened up the transmission finally - and they said that 1st and 2nd gears were severely damaged. Honda likely has to send an adjuster down there to see what's up. Service advisor even noted that you see people complaining about these Type R tranny issues all over the net, so...

I've never damaged a gearbox or clutch in my life. I hope - for everyone's sake - that this is going to start a recall.

The other day I had an issue with 2nd kind of grinding.. I thought it was odd and I pushed the clutch down hard to make sure I had it all the way... I did... none the less even at 3k RPMS it would grind and not go into 2nd.

I had this happen the other day going into 5th... Same thing... Clutch was ALL THE WAY DOWN I was at 3k RPM and it would not go into 5th... it would just grind. I had to go back into 4th.... then re-engage 5th... then it shifted... My car has 750 miles on it...
Sponsored