remc86007

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
Just going by what I've seen on the forum, way fewer 2018s have issues than 2017s, so I'm guessing something changed. My 2018 has never had a grind and I bought it in March.
Sponsored

MYTYPE

First Name
Sal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type R
Country flag
Just going by what I've seen on the forum, way fewer 2018s have issues than 2017s, so I'm guessing something changed. My 2018 has never had a grind and I bought it in March.
Just ran into someone with a new 2018 CW experiencing 2nd gear grinds as well. Not sure of the complete #'s, but if it still happens on current 2018's, nothing has changed.

apk

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 CTR RR
Country flag
I have a 2018 and had the grinds. However since I had the dealer do a MTF fluid swap, it is a lot better. I think my remaining issues are due to the cable connections and possible the CDV. I would rate my shift quality a B+ now, there is still some work to be done but I can live until there is a TSB.

jasonjm

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Type-R
Country flag
I have a late build that I took delivery ASAP after being delivered couple weeks ago.

Have driven long and hard with almost every Honda transmission.

My normal transmission break in includes high and low speed transitions as well as ensuring temps are up. So far zero grinding. I never skip, but row through the order to help the synchros.

In my 25 years I’ve noticed that Honda transmissions need extra time, the synchro tolerances are very tight. They wear down in time. I think that most likely there is a material mismatch in synchro + gear set. It might even be that these transmissions need a higher operating temp than normal cars as to allow for better material expansion.

The fix to go back to stock is always replace the gear set and synchro. This is effectively what a new tranny swap gets you.

jasonjm

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Type-R
Country flag
And what I mean is shitty brass synchros or gearsets from suppliers.

Edit: to clarify further, ensuring your 100,000 parts are of consistent quality down to the material make up is hard.

Last edited:

jsyar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type R, BMW 328xi, BMW X3
Country flag
Hello all, I just picked up my R last night. The car had 6 miles on it when I rolled off the lot. I'm experiencing a grind from 1st to 2nd. It's not every shift, but it happens at least once every time I've driven it. Is this a break-in thing or is there something else going on?

EnjoyDriving

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CW FK8
Country flag
Definitely not a break-in thing. There are so reported cases about this isse, and quite a few speculated solutions too. Try turning off auto-rev match and see if it will go away.

Hello all, I just picked up my R last night. The car had 6 miles on it when I rolled off the lot. I'm experiencing a grind from 1st to 2nd. It's not every shift, but it happens at least once every time I've driven it. Is this a break-in thing or is there something else going on?

remc86007

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
I would take that thing right back to the dealer. It is not supposed to do that. I have 6500 miles on mine and it has not had a single grind.

turboshawn

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
87 Buick Grand National, 11 GTR, 18 CBP Type R, 11 Tundra Rock Warrior
Country flag
2018 build date July 2018 #18467 1st-2nd gear grind once or twice but get the lockout quit often an I notice the trans gets notchy after the lockout occurs very weird. 1305 miles in my R. I think they used junk trans fluid from the factory. When the car does the lockout of 4th try an pull off somewhere an idle an run it through the gears an idle for a few mins it will be buttery smooth again this car is weird

diesuperfly

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' CTR, 92' RX7, 95 3000GT
my 2018 that was delivered in august hasn't had any issues yet, but i don't have significant enough mileage on it for any real info. only like 400 miles.

RedGiant217

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Honda Accord
Country flag
Just over a month ago, I started hearing a metallic clicking sound from the front passenger wheel when turning hard left. This would happen at all speeds.
I experienced this one day last week when leaving work. It went away by the time I got out of the parking lot but I would have never guessed a transmission issue. Makes me wonder if I should have the dealer look at it. Did yours start happening all the time all at once or get worse over time?

jasonjm

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Type-R
Country flag
I experienced this one day last week when leaving work. It went away by the time I got out of the parking lot but I would have never guessed a transmission issue. Makes me wonder if I should have the dealer look at it. Did yours start happening all the time all at once or get worse over time?
That sounds like a wheel bearing gone bad.

Grommet45

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
You guys believe that even the newest type Rs will have transmission issues? I'm actually waiting on one to get delivered
I have a 2020 R and yes, same dam thing. It really sucks I wanted to keep the original trans but it looks like i have to get a new one. It be great if I knew exactly what the issue is.
Sponsored