2018 Civic Type R: facts guide

17CivicTypeR_Brian

Aiming for 400whp out of the TypeR.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Black CTR #4071, 16 MDX Tech
Country flag
Of course I'll be watching for the mid-cycle. Not that I'm unhappy with my '17CTR, but if I get some more of the Touring features in 19, I'd go for it.

gtolio

First Name
Grant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 EP3 Si hatch, 2019 Civic Sport Hatch 6spd, 2017 Honda Ruckus
Country flag
It takes 4 years to pay off the production costs of a new model. The only reason to stop before then is if Honda had to cut its losses. Of course they will leave their options open as long as possible by not giving an official word, but Honda is a volume car maker, and the plan is always to have a full model cycle unless something goes wrong.

Also, it's easy to forget that the ITR was not a good selling model at all during its original run. I'm actually pretty surprised they brought it back for 2000-2001. And, if that's the case for an unpopular model, how much more so will it be the case for this car which would be flying off the lots if it weren't for ADM?

|-Goku-|

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda Speed3
Country flag
Not when you are driving a Golf R w/DSG which is arguably a better overall car for a daily driver. Sorry guys but the R interior is light years ahead of the Type R (more comparable to Audi & BMW than the Type R, Focus RS, and STI that all have mediocre quality interiors) and the DSG equipped R is the fastest straight line car in the segment. The more I drive this car the less getting a Type R is a priority but since I have commitment issues with cars I know I will eventually change things up.
Sounds Auto-tragic to me.

OP
OP
RatedR

RatedR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1992 Integra GS-R (sold). 2000 Integra Type R (sold). 2017 Civic Type R.
Country flag
It takes 4 years to pay off the production costs of a new model. The only reason to stop before then is if Honda had to cut its losses. Of course they will leave their options open as long as possible by not giving an official word, but Honda is a volume car maker, and the plan is always to have a full model cycle unless something goes wrong.

Also, it's easy to forget that the ITR was not a good selling model at all during its original run. I'm actually pretty surprised they brought it back for 2000-2001. And, if that's the case for an unpopular model, how much more so will it be the case for this car which would be flying off the lots if it weren't for ADM?
Don't know about calling Honda a volume manufacturer. Sure they sell a lot of vehicles, but they don't sell their cars to fleet, rental companies, etc. And they don't offer rebates ever. So they could careless in trying to keep up with the Toyotas, VW and Daimlers of the world. Anywhoo...

gtolio

First Name
Grant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Don't know about calling Honda a volume manufacturer. Sure they sell a lot of vehicles, but they don't sell their cars to fleet, rental companies, etc. And they don't offer rebates ever. So they could careless in trying to keep up with the Toyotas, VW and Daimlers of the world. Anywhoo...
I guess being the number 8 automaker in the world by volume and selling 4.5 million units in a year (FY 2015) doesn't make you a volume automaker???

Maybe you and I have a different definition of "volume automaker".

My point is that this is not a Lamborghini Veneno. They're not going to cover their costs by making 5 units. It needs to follow a normal cycle in order for Honda to recover their costs of engineering, R&D, testing, etc.

17CivicTypeR_Brian

Aiming for 400whp out of the TypeR.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Black CTR #4071, 16 MDX Tech
Country flag
They do sell more motorcycles than any other manufacturer, and they also produce/sell more internal combustion engines than any other maker. There has been some discussion lately about splitting the company (not by name, but by business) to be cars and motorcycles. The argument being - automobiles are pulling down the profit margin that the motorcycles are generating.

OP
OP
RatedR

RatedR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I guess being the number 8 automaker in the world by volume and selling 4.5 million units in a year (FY 2015) doesn't make you a volume automaker???

Maybe you and I have a different definition of "volume automaker".

My point is that this is not a Lamborghini Veneno. They're not going to cover their costs by making 5 units. It needs to follow a normal cycle in order for Honda to recover their costs of engineering, R&D, testing, etc.
We def have a different definition. And, they are planning on selling 13,000-15,000 of the 2017-2018 CTR worldwide, so I'd say that's a big number to cover cost considering the chassis was already available with the current Civic Hatchback that remains in production and the motor will get tweaks and be in the new Accord (and prob other models as well). So I dont believe they need 4 year cycles to make their money back. Maybe I'm wrong...doesn't matter to me either way. They make more CTRs, GREAT! That means my dealer gets more, we sell more, everyones happy.

OP
OP
RatedR

RatedR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
They do sell more motorcycles than any other manufacturer, and they also produce/sell more internal combustion engines than any other maker. There has been some discussion lately about splitting the company (not by name, but by business) to be cars and motorcycles. The argument being - automobiles are pulling down the profit margin that the motorcycles are generating.
Legally, they are separated. If you sue Honda Cars you only can go after Honda Cars,... Honda Motorcycle, Power Equipment, etc., is unaffected.

gtolio

First Name
Grant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
We def have a different definition. And, they are planning on selling 13,000-15,000 of the 2017-2018 CTR worldwide, so I'd say that's a big number to cover cost considering the chassis was already available with the current Civic Hatchback that remains in production and the motor will get tweaks and be in the new Accord (and prob other models as well). So I dont believe they need 4 year cycles to make their money back. Maybe I'm wrong...doesn't matter to me either way. They make more CTRs, GREAT! That means my dealer gets more, we sell more, everyones happy.
I agree with what you're saying about the Type-R, and you're right, only they know at what year or how many units they recover all their costs.

I am curious about your definition of volume automaker, however. What would qualify?

wmo168

First Name
Mr M
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Geo Metro
Country flag
Confirmed: 2018 Civic Type R will be no different than the 2017. Same colors offered. Same trim level. (The 2018 Civic Hatch Facts Guide just listed on the Honda IN today for dealers).
Same pricing or price increase?

Modomo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Type R #0369
Country flag
Maybe, maybe not. The ITR was made for 2 yrs. Then skipped a year, and then came back for 2 more years. Honda has always kept exclusivity on the Rs. And while there is plenty of demand now for the car, that doesn't mean there will be in 2020. New models will come out to take the CTR throne, market shifts, our new housing bubble could bust again sending sales crumbling down...way too many variables to speculate. I'm not saying they won't continue to produce it, I'm just telling you as of right now that decision hasn't been made.
So true senpai. I feel like the way the world/US is probably going give them reasons to slow/stop production. We are due for a correction. Also, they could continue production into 19' and beyond, but that doesn't guarantee all market areas. Only time will tell :dunno::hmm:
Sponsored